Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Exhaust leak in cooling system, power loss?

Hi,

Here is my story...

I have a late model A4 that is raw ater cooled, the season prior (2008) we developed an overheating problem which I thought was due to a plugged raw water strainer as it was late in the season... this came to light in an initial event that was a bit scary becuase the engine severely overhead to the point of burning off excess fogging oil 200+ degrees (causing us to shut off the engine ASAP and briefly freak out at the possability of fire--- very unsettleing--- not to mention at the high temp the engine did not want to turn off even with teh key out.... why is that?). As I went about the engine compartment I found a fairly full strainer dumped it... let the engine cool for a couple hours and sailed slowly back to our mooring. After the night of cooling and the cleared strainer the engine got up and running no problem. Seemed like problm solved... I bought the MMI oil and temp alarm kit... needed some piece of mind...

Last season (2009), as I was opening up the engine with the usual MMO in teh cylinders etc. I got her to turn over but she ran real rough for about 15 seconds... scratchy metal sound... then a crazy bang... and I immediatly shut the engine off. Thinking i had just snapped a valve or something I petitioned the devine and we went at it one last time... started up and sounded fine. Odd.

Throughout the 2009 season I noticed an oil drip from where the circular plate attached to the prop shaft enters the reverse gear housinig box. I believe I have a direct drive 1:1... if it matters. Wast this teh cource of my bang???

Well this post is about cooling... all the above is connected to this issue... maybe...

So on my way to pull out the boat ending the 2009 season we got caught by the tide and wind and had to motor some 4 hours. About 1-2 hours in the heat alarm went off... thinking of the strainer i said easy fix... there was some crud so I dumped it... the boat started, temp dropped, along we went. As we approached the drawbridge with a 3kt exiting tide coming straight at us we needed to throttle up, again the alarm goes off... so we circle around... I dump the strainier and blow through the lines, check seacock for ample waterflow. Again start the engine, temp dropped and through the bridge we go... just through the bridge the alarm sounds... explatives as the temp rises and the current is trying to push us back into the now closed bridge. Our only hope is fighting the tide to an open slip at a marina up ahead, engine required current now 4kts. Thankfully we make it to the slip under power. Shut down engine and furiously thumb through my MMI rebiuld manual on board... we figure out we have a gummed up thermostat, cool... but no spare... after fiddeling around we decide to let the engine cool a bit and just remove the thermostat entirely for the last leg of our journey... this way water will just dump through the header and I can replace over the winter.

Everything appears fine, we start up and head up river... feels like a victory and an answer to the previous year's over heating... junk thermostat... maybe, maybe not...

We go about 1-2 miles up river and suddenly this steam engine sound emerges from the engine compartment and there appears to be somewhat a loss of power. I open the door to find a rythmic exhaust smelling steam powering out from an area beneath the thermostat cover (remember I removed my thermostat and did my best to crank down the housing with a pair of pliers to get us home). We had no choice but to keep on... was this the result of a missing thermostat like a bad gasket or an actual crack in the header?

My boat under power typically does 5.5 kts under full power with no wind. We we headed into 5 ft seas and 30 MPH winds. Under full power we had barely 1 kt on the GPS. After a few hours me had made enought progress to get out of the wind and the tide had become slack. We made it home but now my big question is...

Why do I have exhaust pressuring out of a space between my thermostat housing and the header, and why does this result ina loss of power? Did the crash bang at the begining of the season indicate somthing that woudl cause the oil leak or somthing that would cause exhaust to leak into the coolant chamber? HELP!

Just FYI at the begining of 2008 I tested pressure on all cylinders and they were up over 90psi and shes never had a rebiuld, I haven't tested since the crash bang but there was no detectable power loss until I removed the thermostat.

Thanks for any and all ideas!
  #2   IP: 98.217.114.66
Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Afourian MVP

if you have not already done so, check the impeller on your water pump. a thermostat is seldom solely responsible for overheating.
  #3   IP: 173.13.89.137
Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM

The impeller is fine, I replace it every season... the pump is an upgraded MMI unit. Water flow out is great but its hard to say where it goes in the engine. I don't use a bypass valve but if I clamp down to force water through side jacket there is no problem. In 2008 I did an acid flush also. Exhaust is newer (5-8 yrs old). I do get a little steam in the exhaust at times also tends to run rich (plugs get sooty) if that matters.
  #4   IP: 76.24.202.79
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Afourian MVP

another cause of overheating is incorrect timing. first, make sure that your centrifugal advance is free and operable thru its correct range. next make sure timing is correct. both Universal and the Moyer manual have timing instructions, but i actually do it the old fashioned automotive way with a timing light. put a little white out or paint on the arrow on the flywheel housing. make sure the pin on the crankshaft is visible. TDC will be shown just like on a car engine, pin vertical on the arrow. find TDC at the lowest possible rpm; then work the throttle with one hand while observing the pin under light in relation to the arrow. i don't like to see more than 10 degrees of crankshaft advance all of which should occur before 1200 rpm. by the way, the distributor should be locked down on TDC at that lowest possible rpm.
  #5   IP: 173.13.89.137
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM

I have been suspecting the timing needs adjustment. I know the old strobe and flywheel marking trick... where is the pin you are talking about... do you have a picture? I have an electronic ignition I haven't installed becuase i suspected the timing was a bit off. I think the electronic install requires the timing be set mechanically before converting over. Can this be done properly on the hard or should it be done in the water. In gear or neutral. Sorry I get teh concept of timing but have never attempted to set it for fear of causing damage to the valves.
  #6   IP: 76.7.99.137
Old 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Afourian MVP

I think this is what HC is referring to. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Attached Images

#7   IP: 76.24.202.79
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Afourian MVP

the picture by MC shows the pin clearly thru the end of tghe crank just about horizontal. they call it a spring pin. i would hold off on the electronic ignition until the distributor issue is settled. timing can be set in or out of the water, but i like it best with the engine running. you need to eliminate the possibility that your centrifugal advance has gone amuck.
  #8   IP: 76.24.202.79
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Afourian MVP

as a further clarification, the spring pin will be vertical and pointing to the keystone shaped mark just below the "E" in the word "Universal" when the engine is at TDC. sorry about the mix up. forget the flywheel.
  #9   IP: 71.181.37.204
Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 AM

With regard to insufficent speed under heavy conditions. Consider going
to a indigo propeller it should solve that problem.

with regard to engine cooling, you may want to follow Don's detailed
engine flushing procedure as a start. This is in the overhaul manual and
also posted on this website.
  #10   IP: 76.24.202.79
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Afourian MVP

removal of thermostat

After studying your original posting it occured to me that after removing the thermostat after your bridge experience, one with which I am personally familiar, you may not have tightened the nuts enough when you put the housing back on. This would account for the exhaust leak under the housing, actually a compression leak. This however is not the original problem. That bang you described strongly suggests a timing problem, maybe even a really lose rotor or a broken advance weight spring leading to "floppy" timing. Sometimes even a distributor cap can develop tiny cracks which can cause "cross firing". I suggest that you take the distributor to your shop and study it carefully.
  #11   IP: 173.10.186.221
Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Afourian MVP

Incorrect timing can also cause the engine to continue running after the key is turned off ("dieseling").

I learned this on my first car, a 1971 Opel GT, not so very different from a larger version of the A-4.
  #12   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Sorry for asking the obvious, but, when I am lining the pin up to the keystone on the front of the motor does it matter which side of the pin for TDC?
  #13   IP: 72.93.128.136
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up crankshaft springpin line up

Good question. It doesn't matter which end of the pin we consider because we are interested in pin deviation from the vertical. As the engine rotates counterclockwise viewing from the flywhel aft, when #1 fires on TDC the pin will be perfectly vertical when the strobe flashes. As rpm increases, you will observe the pin rotating clockwise under the strobe, advancing the spark. The centrifugal advance will be an educated guess unless you take the trouble to mark out some hashmarks on the flywheel housing. Just put the light on #1, get the rpm as low as possible, look at the pin under strobe and tighten the distributor where the pin is vertical. Don't worry about which end is which. Then with light on the pin hope to see a smooth advance on the crank of about ten to twelve degrees.
  #14   IP: 24.152.140.113
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
HC's info is spot-on if you're running the engine and using a timing light.

If you're trying to set the engine by hand at TDC it certainly does matter which end of the pin you use and TDC is on every other revolution. Assuming the distributor is out and you can't use it as an indicator, you can peer into the spark plug hole of #1 and watch the intake valve as you're turning the engine. If the valve cover on the carburetor side of the engine is off you can watch the valve that way too. After that intake valve opens, as you continue to rotate the crank the next time the #1 piston reaches the top will be TDC and you can then put a dab of paint on the flywheel pin to identify the proper end.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #15   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM

so timing is not the issue though i did find one of the screws on the distrib loose...overheating seems to be a combo problem between a plugged water jacket and a head cover/ head gasket issue.... the saga will continue... hope to hit the water this year
  #16   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 PM

more details on head gasket leak and water jacket

OK so its confirmed, the water jacket is a mess (see pic). How can i get all this gunk out? Where and how should it exit.... what path is the water suposed to travel from the jacket cover to the head? The lower portion of the jacket cover is filled with a sediment much like black flaked off rust crust. I pulled the front and rear drain plugs and the front one is packed full. Next do i need a new cover or can i reuse the existing one if its in decent shape? I did break 3 of the 8 screws so they will need to be drilled out. Last year it seemd water was not going through the head this year i installed a new thermostat and restriction and noticed no water was going through the system. I also noticed the previous owner had the thermostat housing backwards... the WP marking WAS facing the carb and leading to the exhaust manifold while the man marking was connect to the water jacket T... I changed it back to what i thought was correct.... wp (assume that is water pump) i attached to the restriction and the jacket T while the man marking was attached to the exhaust manifold above the carb. Am I correct in my correction of the thermostat housing orientation?

As I mentioned before I have exhaust gasses exiting between the block and the head just beneith the part where my thermostat bulges out. (See picture... exhaust is escaping from the head/block seam just to the right of my thumb). My theory is the gasket on cylinder 1 is leaking significantly in this one sopt becuase I have a loss of power under load and I can see, smell, and hear the exhaust gasses exiting (sounds like a fast steam engine or rythmic pressure escaping). when the engine has been running for some time i get steam from this spot so water is somehow mixing with the exhaust on its way out. Given its mid june and I'd like to have my boat in the water without having to do a ocmplete overhaul... could I likely get away with a jb weld or epoxytouch up of the seam? The boat is a 74 catalina 27 and I'm nervous if i try to take the nuts off the studs for the header its all over and my boat yard doesn't have a crane so assuming I muster the cash to pull the engine if a stud is broken there are still barriers to getting the job done.
Attached Images

#17   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 PM

notice in the 5th picture above you can see a soot trail on the underside of the thermostat buldge in the head... this is where the exhaust and stem jet is escaping around cylinder 1
  #18   IP: 76.7.115.41
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Afourian MVP

The water works it way up to the head thru a series of holes. You can see them in the pics. They are all clogged with crud. The oval shapes are also cooling passages. It took a lot of poking, brushing and some drilling to get mine clear. Wish I had taken some after pics. Look at the online catalog, overhaul parts, cylinder/head/manifold for a good pic. You will need to pull the head for access. And a new gasket may correct the exhaust/steam leak.
Your cover plate does not look that bad and could probably be reused and MMI has the bolt repair kit.
I am sure the late model folks can help with the T-stat ?s.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Attached Images

#19   IP: 74.96.148.103
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Exhaust and steam emitting from under the thermo housing is a sign of a blown head gasket. The head can go thin just under the thermo (see MMI tech tips).

It happened to me and required a new head. Check no1 compression. Good luck.
  #20   IP: 68.224.118.14
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvigeant View Post
I also noticed the previous owner had the thermostat housing backwards... the WP marking WAS facing the carb and leading to the exhaust manifold while the man marking was connect to the water jacket T... I changed it back to what i thought was correct.... wp (assume that is water pump) i attached to the restriction and the jacket T while the man marking was attached to the exhaust manifold above the carb. Am I correct in my correction of the thermostat housing orientation?
Yes, it was backwards and yes you have it correct now.
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #21   IP: 173.13.89.137
Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM

thanks for the picture... the PO had it wrong for sure... wish me luck i am embarking on removal of my headcover with PB blaster after a conversation with Don this morning.
  #22   IP: 216.70.184.248
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Also, try soaking that water jacket side plate in vinegar.
Might take a couple of days and changing the vinegar, but it may clean up good enough for you.
I decided to get a whole new plate with diverter from MMI since that is such an important component to the cooling.
You might also get some pointers reading an old thread of mine about the water jacket and flushing...
http://www.moyermarine.com//forums/s...ead.php?t=3963

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #23   IP: 24.218.150.114
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the link... believe it or not i have read your prior post 2 or 3x prior. I've seen a number of people calling for a diagram of how the water flows. Do you have a link to such a diagram. Also do you have any secrets for getting the crud out... my jacket is consierdably worse than yours appears in the pictures. I didn't know water should pass between #2 and 3 becuase it was so plugged up :/
  #24   IP: 68.224.118.14
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Afourian MVP

No I don't know of such a diagram.
But the flow is fairly straightforward as I understand it.
Pump - T/Diverter Cap on Water Jacket - Therm - Manifold - Exhaust.
(If you're looking for the flow INSIDE the water jackets themselves, I think that is discussed in Don's video. When I get home, I'll throw it in the DVD and check)
Have you considered getting Don's "Cooling Video"?
It's very informative and you'd get an excellent understanding of all of the components as well as the processes for keeping the passages clean.

As far as getting to that crud. I'd suggest the same formula as for the plate.
Soak for days in vinegar. Combined with poking, scraping and digging with wire brushes, screw drivers, coat hanger, etc.
Also, be sure to clean the 1/8" drains both fore and aft below the water jacket while you're at it.
You might also close her back up and do a muriatic soak and flush if you can get her closed.

I'm attaching Don's procedure for an Acid Flush in case you don't have it.
Did you say if you have the MMI Manual?
If not, you need to get that at minimum. It'll help you thru this as well as help you to get your A4 in good shape.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Acid Flush Procedure 1.pdf (9.6 KB, 1054 views)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #25   IP: 76.119.124.162
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM

I do have a rebuild manual. Thanks for the PDF though. Yeah I'm looking to figure out how and where the water should flow within the water jacket. My main concern is that sediment is filling the area below the jacket cover... so if water is suposed to be moving through passages located below then i need to make sure i get every last bit of crud out because it is packed. in the lower 25% of the block