Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 207.103.142.58
Old 05-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Exclamation Considering engine improvements

Let me start by introducing myself. I sail a Sabre 28 out of Worton Creek on the Chesapeake Bay. We're still powered by the original Atomic 4 that is essentially stock. I've never really given the engine much thought except for some service at the begining and end of the season but now I am suddenly aware of how abused my poor engine is. While sailing this past weekend, we suddenly found ourselves without an engine as the wind died and we were powering back into the marina. We were fortunate and a friendly neighbor towed us back in, but I spent quite a bit of time going over the engine and not liking much of what I found.

I've isolated the trouble with the engine to the fuel delivery system (either the carb or the fuel pump) and am currently rebuilding both. The carb was coated with what looked like cement and the gaskets were completely dried out and disintegrating. I'm sure that the fuel pump will be equaly troubling.

So while doing research on my engine, I found all sorts of people who supply aftermarket "upgrades" for the A4. Which brings me to my question.

Which upgrades would people with these engines reccomend? Of course I'm on a budget here, and so I have to prioritize. Here are the ones I'm considering, and in the order that I'm thinking about.

1) A real fuel filtration system. (all there is now is that little screen in the fuel pump)
2) fresh water cooling conversion although it presents problems as there is no room for a belt and pulley around the front of the engine as the companionway steps are close fitting to the flywheel casting.
3) An oil filter (such as the one from _Indigo Electronics)

I'm not considering an electric fuel pump, nor electronic ignition as I come from the "ain't broke, don't fix" school.

Anything I've missed that someone out there would suggest?

Thanks for your input!