Clear All
  • Ando
    • Jul 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C6D4AA9-7BEA-4F61-A124-3DEC614F6B66.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	199785

Painting the top deck has started: I call this “Phase 1(a)” (ie first coat of first part). Phase 1(b) coming up tomorrow (ie sanding, cleaning and applying second coat). Then phase 1(c) (ie third coat). Then on to phase 2 (of 7, each with three coats). The fresh paint is dry, but it looks wet and shiny...and I love it
    Hopefully this pic is t upside down like the others.

Comment

• ronstory
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2016

Ando--

How did you finalize the clean and prep the surface to give you such a great finish?
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Portland, OR

Comment

• Ando
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
        Ando--

How did you finalize the clean and prep the surface to give you such a great finish?
        From reading the directions on the paint can, reading articles on painting and watching YouTube videos, I learned to do the following:
        *For previously painted surfaces
        1. Clean the surface

2. Sand the area that is to be painted with 220 or 330 grit sandpaper - I used 220 and sanded just enough to scuff the surface. This allows the new paint to stick better.

3. Clean the surface again

4. I used permatex filling compound to seal any imperfections on deck. There was one area on deck that had a hairline crack about a foot long.

5. Tape off the borders. Here, it would be better to use the green turtle tape rather than that blue masking tape because, from what I understand, the green one comes off easier whereas the blue one fuses to the deck, especially after coming into contact with solutions such as paint and varnish and especially if it stays on the deck for a long time being exposed to the elements etc. However, the green turtle tape is pricey and I just happened to have a whole bunch of the blue one.

6. Thoroughly mix the paint. I used a mixing bit attached to my power drill

7. Add no more than 10% interlux 333 thinner to the paint

8. Pour the paint into a rolling pan

9. Use a roller, the densest you can find.

Note: The “roll and tip method” - firmly roll the paint into the surface. Now here you will find that, by the very nature of the roller, the paint goes on leaving tiny tiny bubbles. Those bubbles need to be popped in order to leave a wet looking and shiny/high gloss surface. You pop those bubbles by immediately going over the small patch of surface that was just painted with a roller, with a paint brush...lightly...bc if you press too hard, the bristles of the paint brush will leave streaks.
        Ideally, it would be nice to have someone behind you with the brush so they can tip while you roll because the paint drys quick (even with 10% thinner added to it). Otherwise just roll and tip in small sections.

10. Don’t step on the newly painted surface like I did
        (Thankfully, it was already dry enough not to be too big a deal)

I was really not looking forward to sanding and tapping off, but the sanding wasnt too bad. The tapping off is tedious though.
        Last edited by Ando; 04-26-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Ando, for accuracy do you mean Interlux rather than permatex?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
            • Jul 2019

Name:	E73F841D-926B-4664-9CB8-1721F24BC748.jpg
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	199786

Oh yes, for item #7 interlux 333 thinner. This is a pic of the permatex sealant I was referring to in item #4.
            Last edited by Ando; 04-26-2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

Well, it's not a sealant... but it will seal a lot of things.

Permatex in the last year has become my favorite 5-min epoxy. I just seems to be more well behaved and mixes better than loctite. Just my opinion, in a colder, high humidity environment.
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• Ando
                • Jul 2019

Top Deck Painting: Phase 1 (of 7) complete and...to keep this post A4 related, I did run the motor for 20 min yesterday and it felt good

Comment

• Ando
                  • Jul 2019

You guys, I totally forgot to mention that I took the totally dismantled early model A4 to Valley Head Service, that machine shop I had mentioned on page two of this thread. Let me tell you, Dave Neptune was right when he said it looks like an "ol' boys" shop. I sat and talked with the 82 year old owner, Larry, for like an hour and a half. He shared many many stories of his life and I could've listened to him for hours more on end, it was that interesting. Larry was really glad to have the A4 and said he looks forward to working with it. His shop usually sees more race car engines than anything. He asked me if I want the cam machined to give me more power lol...what do you guys think? Should I have him do it?

Also, does anyone on here remember a Southern California sailboat racer by the name of Joe Ofria? He had a 28ft sailboat, which he made himself, and raced it in the Thunderbird class races and won in King Harbor (Redondo Beach) and in Marina Del Rey way way back in the day. That's the shop owner's brother If anyone has any recollection of Joe, any stories, memories or, even better, pictures, it would be amazing if you shared them with me because Joe passed away like six years ago and Larry doesn't have a picture of the winning 28ft sailboat. I told him I'd look for a pic of it online, but I figured I'd throw a line in here too.
                  Last edited by Ando; 04-27-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Ando
                    • Jul 2019

Oh ya, another thing that I forgot to mention: My boat has a really long cushion in the starboard aft quarter berth that sits right on top of the access point to the through hull valve. So every time I start and stop the engine, I have to remove that looooong cushion. As you know, I’ve been working on this engine and this looooong cushion has been sitting in the main cabin taking up all the space bc I got tired of removing it and putting it back. So I finally took it to a local upholstery shop and I am having them professionally cut it into three pieces: the piece in the middle will be the only one that I will have to remove when I need access to the through hull valve from now on.

Talking about long cushions, there are two for the cockpit. Problem is twofold: 1. The auto tiller seat is under the starboard side cushion and; 2. No access to the storage space/engine under the port side cushion. So I’m cutting those up to three pieces as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	7BD36303-A01F-4731-BC22-FD1E79320BE6.jpg
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	199787

Name:	8620C1DA-7E5A-4E42-A982-4F50ACB457B1.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	199788

Comment

• Ando
                      • Jul 2019

Name:	1E21F925-B19B-47F0-9D9E-4097B793EFD4.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	199792

Name:	7F9B1816-B9FB-43C4-8ECB-DCE8188DA3F8.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	199793

Name:	8C0BEDF9-4671-435F-9854-D03F2E7073B9.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	199794

Here are some pics of how top deck paint phase 1 turned out. I’m going to match the two-tone colors of the sea hood that is pictured. Phase 2 will be to paint the non skid (on the lower portion of the deck). Phase 3 will be the area around the windows. Phase 4 shiny portion around the sea hood. Phase 5, non skid around the sea hood. Phase 6, shiny portion in the cockpit. Phase 7, non skid in the cockpit.

Comment

• Surcouf
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by Ando View Post

Here are some pics of how top deck paint phase 1 turned out. I’m going to match the two-tone colors of the sea hood that is pictured. Phase 2 will be to paint the non skid (on the lower portion of the deck). Phase 3 will be the area around the windows. Phase 4 shiny portion around the sea hood. Phase 5, non skid around the sea hood. Phase 6, shiny portion in the cockpit. Phase 7, non skid in the cockpit.
                        I do not know how you do that... I would have dropped the 2 colors for white only in a blink of an eye, just to save some of the crazy taping work!
                        Great work
                        Surcouf
                        A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Ando
                          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
                          I do not know how you do that... I would have dropped the 2 colors for white only in a blink of an eye, just to save some of the crazy taping work!
                          Great work
                          Thanks...it’s a fun, good and never ending hobby. Keeps me out of trouble ha!

Comment

• Ando
                            • Jul 2019

Two tone painting of the top deck: Phase 2

After Phase 1, I have to admit that I had to take some time away from the lil yachty...I was burnt out. But I’m back. Phase 2 has begun. I got a late start today. I started at noon. By 5pm, I was done taping. All the while having many many second thoughts but kept at it. Prep (ie taping) is done. Tomorrow, I plan on getting an earlier start. I’ll sand, “seal” (ie epoxy And lay the first coat of the second tone. Then I’ll post the pic. I had a vision of this two tone and that vision better look good...that’s all I know.

Name:	51BFB39E-431F-43E1-83C5-6B2ABA8A2E23.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	200749

Comment

• Ando
                              • Jul 2019

Painting: Phase 2

First coat of the non skid done. Coat 2 tomorrow. Their on Monday morning (before heading to work lol)

Name:	24D810AC-A311-43F2-A750-02D957895745.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	200752

Name:	64B410A5-B543-42A3-A011-CEFD25CD30AE.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	200753

Comment

• ndutton