Camshaft During Engine Overhaul. Refurbish? Replace? Repent? Retreat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Looks like it was Lat64 Russ
    Last edited by ndutton; 11-04-2018, 07:18 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Yep, that's our guy!

Classic, and I LOVE this forum.

Bill

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
        Yep, that's our guy!

Classic, and I LOVE this forum.

Bill
        The "thanks" was not available when Russ wrote that back in 2009. I am glad it is now..thanks for finding that gem, Neil!!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          ...thanks for finding that gem, Neil!!
          I typed "Mennonite" in the forum search function, it turned up that thread. Reading a few posts led me to Russ.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            I typed "Mennonite" in the forum search function, it turned up that thread. Reading a few posts led me to Russ.
            The local Mennonites in my area have rebuilt for me two A-4 alternators, one starter, one Jeep starter, and our sailing club takes our 2 ton dinghy hoist motors to them every year for maintenance. They know their stuff. I distinctly remember in about 2011 taking my new to me alt into their shop and the guy at the counter recognized the Atomic 4 bronze paint and said, "this looks like it is from an Atomic 4", and I knew I was in good hands...They did not have the one-eyed dog, but they love Jesus..and advertise it well. no problem with any of that if that is what you are into!
            Last edited by sastanley; 11-04-2018, 10:23 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• wristwister
              • Nov 2013

Reminds me of when I needed my A4 crankshaft ground. I went to the shop "everyone goes to" first, sparkly place with great customer service and spotless shop coats. I found out they didn't actually have the equipment there to grind crankshafts, they sent them to another shop to have the work done.

I was able to get the name of that other shop so I went there. Older, out of the way place, no front desk, parts laying around all over the place, and finally I found an old guy in a greasy shop coat and talked to him. He said "yeah, we used to grind crankshafts, but we couldn't afford to keep the expensive machinery going, so we send 'em out for grinding". I found out where he sent the crankshafts.

Holy crap, you should see this place! It's next to the homeless shelter in the worse part of town, no signage, old run down buildings, stacks of parts all over the place, and nonexistent to downright rude customer service. But sure enough, they had the one and only crank grinding machine in the area. Turns out crankshafts from pretty much every shop in the Puget Sound area go through them as they're the only ones with the machinery and skill to do it.

they did a great job on my crank and I had them do the works to the block as well, all at reasonable prices. I'm guessing if I had just gone through the first sparkly clean shop with smiling customer service I would have paid much more, considering there would have been a few markups along the way before the crank found it's way to the grinder.
              "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• Launchpad McQ
                Aforian MVP
                • Dec 2013

Well this just became a lot more trouble. I shipped the cam last Friday from a UPS store then called the machine shop owner Wednesday to see if he'd received it yet:

Him: "Noooooo siiiiiiiiir I don't reckon we seeeeen it yet."

Me: Huh, well I'll call you Friday when I get home.

Today...

Him: "Nooooo siiiiiiiir we still ain't seeeeen it"

I shipped it in a re-used Amazon box so I figured "Here we go again; some lowlife played Amazon roulette hoping to score a pair of Bose headphones and opened up the box to find a rusty cam and lifters." 15 minutes on the phone with UPS later we figured it out. The UPS store printed the wrong address on the shipping label and it got delivered to someone in Oklahoma City who undoubtedly right now has absolutely no idea what just showed up on their doorstep. Will UPS tell me what address that is? No way. I called the shop owner to tell him what happened and in true good ol' boy fashion he said "Weeeeeell hell! If it's in Oklahoma City just tell me where and I'll go scoop up it fer' ya' and take care of it." If only UPS were so customer oriented. They're going to send the driver out to the incorrect address on Monday, hopefully pick it up and ship it back to Denver, then I'll have to ship it back to OK when (if) I receive it. Wish me luck.

P.S. Where's the emoji with red mad face, steam rising from the forehead, and lots of %$# type profanity? I need that one right now.

Ring! Ring! "Uh Ken, do y'all still have a cam, timing gear, and 8 lifters kicking around."
                Jonathan
                1979 Catalina 30 #1497
                An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Jonathon, ugh, sorry..nice of the shop to offer to retrieve the part.
                  -Shawn
                  sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

Jonathon,
                    Don't you have a tracking number? I wonder if the wrong address would show up on the UPS website when you track the package.

My sympathies.

Oh well, it's winter, not much sailing anyway eh?
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Launchpad McQ
                      Aforian MVP
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                      Jonathon,
                      Don't you have a tracking number? I wonder if the wrong address would show up on the UPS website when you track the package.
                      You'd think huh? I never really looked at the receipt but UPS doesn't print the destination address on there nor is it retrievable on the website using the tracking number. I guess I'll find out today whether or not they tracked it down. Fingers crossed.
                      Jonathan
                      1979 Catalina 30 #1497
                      An old Airline Pilot proverb: "If we don't help each other nobody else will."

Comment

Working...
                      X