X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailingchance
    • Oct 2012

Reversing Gear Bearings Wont Go Back In

I have an old model A4 with a Walter V Drive. We removed the Vdrive to service it, but in the process of removal the gear shaft moved back and brought the bearings with it. The rear thrust bearing is now outside the tranmission housing. I can get it back in, but only half way. The forward bearing slips in but when they both get half way, it all locks up.

I was thinking I could give it a few good whacks with some wood and a hammer, but I'm afraid I'd injure something. I'm a novice at engine work in general so removing the entire encasement (which would mean removing my water pump and fuel pump and a dozen other bolts, is intimidating.

I spoke with Don today and he got me this far, but now I'm stuck halfway and light taps of my ball peen hammer arent doing a thing.,

Help!
    "Sailor looking for wife. Must have boat. Please send picture of boat."

Jason // SV Chance
    http://www.facebook.com/SailingChance
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

My guess is that the shaft has slipped back out of the pilot bearing located in the crankshaft. The shaft must now be perfectly centered to get it back in. Easy does it.

Comment

• sailingchance
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      My guess is that the shaft has slipped back out of the pilot bearing located in the crankshaft. The shaft must now be perfectly centered to get it back in. Easy does it.
      Thanks! I figured it was something along those lines. So to do this,I have to remove the entire bell housing, correct?

Thanks again!!!!
      "Sailor looking for wife. Must have boat. Please send picture of boat."

Jason // SV Chance
      http://www.facebook.com/SailingChance

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sailingchance View Post
        Thanks! I figured it was something along those lines. So to do this,I have to remove the entire bell housing, correct?

Thanks again!!!!
        There are a couple of possibilities here. The pilot bearing is recessed into the crankshaft drive gear but also hung on the tip of the shaft. If the bearing is still in either of those positions you may be able to fiddle with the drum and get it to slide back into position. But if the pilot has come out of the crank and fallen off the end of the shaft that would be very bad and require a disassembly exercise. First try moving the drum around in tight circles where you imagine the center to be and at the same time applying gentle forward motion. It's worth a try.

Comment

Working...
        X