Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 136.160.4.83
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Is this a carb issue?

My A4 has developed an annoying symptom: after normal starting and running at idle, if I throttle-up under load, as I increase the throttle the engine speed will reach a max and go no further (and below what I believe to be max rpm), despite increasing throttle. To give you a better idea of what I mean: max rpm is reach with my throttle lever at straight-up, even though it can be rotated ca. 90 degrees more. Occasionally, after the engine runs under load at its max rpm, it will lose power, cough, and the power will decrease. If I don't let off on the throttle, take it out of gear, and pump the throttle a few times, the engine will die. Restart requires pumping the throttle and starting at a throttle setting beyond normal idle. The engine will then run normally at idle (no load) and under load, until it starts losing power again (maybe 10-15 min intervals). It sounds to me like the engine dies of lack of fuel. I can completely eliminate the symptom by simply running under load at a lower rpm (cruising at ca. 3.5-4 knots is fine; cruising at 5 knots or greater causes the symptom).

My A4 has the original zenith carb (no mods) and the original fuel pump (no mods). In the 10 years I've owned my E27 I have not worked on the carb, so I don't know if it ever has been rebuilt. My thought is that a jet is partially blocked and not delivering sufficient fuel. This is a guess. I have the MMI carb rebuild kit and plan to rebuild asap, but I'd like to know what I should be looking for as I take apart the carb. (I've seen the excellent pictures of the rebuild steps.)

I hope I've diagnosed this problem correctly, but if you think I'm in error, please let me know your opinion. Thanks for the time and trouble,

Bob
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Bob,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your carburetor. The fact that your engine runs OK at lower power settings is strong evidence that you have low fuel pressure for some reason. This is a familiar problem with Catalina 30's which have fuel tanks lower than the engine and quite some distance away, and don't have a fuel pump with sufficient pressure. The engine will run OK at low to medium power settings, but if the throttle is moved to near full power, the engine will slowly run out of fuel as the carburetor float chamber slowly lowers.

Don