Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 76.11.110.224
Old 09-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile A4...like the engergizer bunny!!

Hey people,
I've been checking the MMI forum daily pretty much all summer and have come to the realization that we are doing something right. We don't see half the issue we used to see. The old engines are still out there and running ... and seem to be running well !!

Think about the number of engines on the market. Westerbeke, Yanmar, Universal Diesel, Beta Marine, Perkins...all diesels. I've been called to help out friends with "driveability problems" with every one of them this summer. I've helped out with about 6 atomic fours and they were all minor problems where the owner was new or as older than Jesus himself. Every time it was a minor issue that was rectified for under $150 (most around $40)...back up and running perfect.

The diesels on the other hand not so lucky....the average repair cost the person between $550-$800 just to get it running again and they always had to wait weeks for parts.

Last Wed I was downtown overnight and talked to a few guys with their boats tied up...they always see me out there and were surprised to hear that an A4 adorned Odyssey's engine compartment. One guy was going on and on...of course there was a tad black rum involved as well.

Today I went for a little sail and after a couple of hours hauled in downtown...there is Mr. Knowitall with an engine that won't run. I know what is wrong...he's out of fuel and air-locked....but he's going to pay a mechanic to tell him that. He described what had happened and all I said was "Sorry man, I don't know much about diesels"...I didn't have the heart to tell him that "dude, you P'd me off, you and your elitist attitude, and you deserve a couple of hours worry"

Maintenance and attention to detail is the answer for the A4 as it is with any engine. I'm not sure if people read the forum here and troubleshoot issues and fix it....or they are running like mine and just keeping running perfect.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #2   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 09-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Besides having an A-4 "under the hood" we also have MMI and this forum as resources. From what I've seen over the past five years there is not another engine type that enjoys support such as we have with Don and the MMI family (Bill, Brenda, Ken, Stephen) nor is there online support that comes close to the quality of this forum. Note that it's not one guy here either but rather a collaborative effort.

"Authoritative" engine chatter on a variety of other forums is most often supplied by one or two dock experts (also often dead wrong) so it's little wonder the befuddled owners are paying the price of professional (I didn't say expert) mechanics.

By the way, I've noticed we don't have anywhere near the number of troubleshooting posts as before. We must be doing something right.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Afourian MVP

Well, I've got a new issue that remains unsolved. Electric fuel pump stopped pumping. Yanked it out and was going to order a new one, but realized I hadn't completed the diagnostics - ie: I haven't verified that the pump is getting 12V when it's not pumping. Issue could also be a bad ignition switch or a broken wire. Takeout pump says 'Airtex #33COFR183" - no idea where it came from??
However, the diagnostics have taken a back burner after my truck popped a brake line. That goes into the shop Tues am for repair, then back to the boat stuff. However, no shortage of stuff to do here on the new house. This afternoon was cutting a hole for a new switch - through sheet rock over old siding. Recip saw died hitting the siding - time for a new saw! It's always something..
  #4   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Al
What about the OPSS? (oil pressure safety switch)

TRUE GRIT
  #5   IP: 198.11.8.218
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Takeout pump says 'Airtex #33COFR183" - no idea where it came from??
Suspect this is 33 CFR Part 183 - E.G. Code of Federal Regulations for electrical/fuel component compliance. It probably means the pump was intended for marine use.

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169
  #6   IP: 50.29.96.184
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Mo, excellent observations.

It seems to me that too many people treat their boats like their cars. All I have to do is turn the key, put gas in, and take it to the mechanic if I have trouble.

The secret to the A4 is in the people that keep them, a self selected group that is more conscientious, more willing to get their hands dirty, people who enjoy the work. Add that to a great design, great people through MMI, and available parts and you have success!

Chris
Skywalker
  #7   IP: 72.45.49.54
Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 PM
MMI Webmaster

Did it look like this?

Bill
  #8   IP: 98.124.126.219
Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM

I too concur with Mos observations. This being my first boat and first A4, I have no history or background to add much to the conversation. But for my money if this boat gets upgraded I will be looking for another with healthy A4. Is it OK in that case to speak negatively about the A4 in the hope of driving price down? :-)

That and just this. We may be seeing a temporary drop in trouble shooting calls but give idiots (newbies) like me a little time and I am sure biz will pick back up :-)

Seriously... this forum and a couple of very knowledgeable guys in my own marina help me sleep at night... ok gotta run change the oil...
  #9   IP: 205.178.105.141
Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM

The information on this forum and the current internet search engines have created quite the encyclopedia of knowledge. It is interesting to note that simple motors have simple problems and can usually be tracked down with some basic trouble shooting
  #10   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Bill,
Mine looks like your photo, but without that appendage on the bottom. I can't check the number on the sticker as the pump is in the truck, which is currently in the shop for brake line work.
Bunny's call on the COFR# is sure a good one - didn't even cross my mind (no unkind comments, please).
  #11   IP: 69.255.28.159
Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Mo and Neil right on

Couldnt agree more that this forum is a special place -- and all supported with MMI great family.

Whippet's A4 has been purring like a cat for the last months -- and if it chooses not to, I know where to turn.

Getting too close to haul-out in Canada, but has been a good season thanks to you guys.
A4 #204381, 1980