Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.139.178.149
Old 10-31-2004, 09:29 PM

Post Engine Quits Suddenly

Hello All,
Here's one I think you'll like.

I was on the last day of a week long sailing vacation earlier this month. I was heading into Rock Hall and for Swan Creek when the engine suddenly quit. That's right, real quick, no warning. Gauges had been good all trip, no unusual engine noises or anything to alert me to pending shutdown.

Here's a clue: The engine would start right back up and run for 15 to 25 seconds, then shut down abruptly.

Anyway, I got anchored and spent an anxiety filled night pulling apart and checking everything - filters & fuel flow, spark and all it's components. I even put my spare carb on, I clipped across the leads on the low oil pressure cut off switch.

Here's another hint and a puzzler: I pulled the fuel line off the pump and watched the fuel flow when the starter was cranked. I noticed (but didn't register completely) that when I changed the carburetor earlier, there was no fuel in the reservoir.

Next day I got a tow out to the bay and sailed up home. I let the boat sit for the week. Next weekend, first thing I did was start it up - you know, see if it had healed itself for me while I was away. It roared up and ran for about 20 seconds and shut down just like the first time.

For some reason I decided to take the leads completely off the l.o.p. cut-off switch - thinking I'd by-pass it completely with a better shunt. It was at this time I noticed and remembered the little 10a, in-line, fuse holder on the lead to the low oil pressure cut-off switch, It was tie-wrapped & neatly tucked down and out of the way. Yes, the fuse had blown. I replaced it with one of the four spares I had aboard and proceeded to go sail (with the engine running) for a few hours. It was fixed. Yes, I did feel like a dummy but a dummy that didn't have to shell out for a new something-or-another.

When I thought I was testing the l.o.p. cut-off switch, I wasn't. Of course it did the same thing, the circuit was open.

Don & Friends, my question is, how come the engine would start and run for a short time? How does that little switch work?

And the next thing for me to think about all work week - why did the fuse blow in the first place, after running well all morning?

Thanks, I love the forum. A friend told me about it when I was relating the fix for this most recent challenge.

WC
  #2   IP: 69.72.48.91
Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 PM

WC,

I assume you have an original Universal electric fuel pump hook-up, or one of our engine mounted fuel pump kits. In either case, there is a lead running from the same terminal of the oil safety switch that is shared by the fuel pump lead itself. This lead (blue in our kit) is connected to the "R" terminal on the stater solenoid. The "R" terminal is a simple auxillary contact that is energized any time the starter is cranking. The main purpose for this connection is so that the "R" terminal can supply power to the fuel pump while the oil pressure is to low to close the switch.

As soon as the engine starts, oil pressure closes the switch, and the "R" terminal drops out when the starter switch is released.

This short supply of power during starting does not depend on the fused power supply from the coil, so it will supply enough fuel to run the engine for about 15 seconds, even while the starter is cranking.

Why the fuse blew in the first place is a good question. It could be that the pump is drawing high amps (they only draw approximately 2 amps normally), or the starter solenoid could be discharging a bit of inductive feedback when the starter switch is released. I would keep an eye on the pump, and feel the lead now and then. If the pump is drawing high amps, it should become warm to the touch. If the pump runs cool, and you have another fuse blow, I'd disconnect the lead to the "R" terminal for a while. The lead is rather redundant anyway, since the oil switch should see over 10 psi just seconds after the starter is engaged. If the fuse never blows with the "R" terminal disconnected, you may have to replace the starter solenoid (or let the "R" terminal disconnected).