Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 174.58.92.14
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Cool Carburetor Problem

I have a late model carb that was submerged, badly contaminated and left setting that way for an extended time. Except for the Idle Jet, I have managed to remove and clean the remaining jets and their passages.
The screwdriver slot on the idle jet is already elongated and I doubt that the jet can be removed without destroying it. (even with heat). Does anyone know the size of the jet opening?, and if so would it be possible to clean this jet and it's passage using a small numbered drill bit of the proper size? I'm not familiar with this carb so do not know whats under the jet.
It doesn't appear that I'm getting any flow through the jet when using carb cleaner or 120 psi air pressure. I've soaked the carb in commercial carb cleaner for an extended period, as well as a quick acid bath, since it was water contaminated, and still don't seem to get any flow from the idle jet openings in the carb throat. I tried using a small length of .020 safety wire but the jet is blocked. I didn't go any further, not knowing the correct size of the jet or what might lay under it. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Bob P.
P.S. I have my A4 all reassembled and ready for a test run as soon as I get the carb repaired and reinstalled.
  #2   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Afourian MVP

There is a small tool you can buy for cleaning the tips of cutting tourches. It almost looks like a feeler guage used in automotive industry. The tip cleaner has serrated round prongs of varying sizes. If you had one of those I'd think you'd clean it out easily.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #3   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lightbulb Poke away

Silverfox, I can check my numbers perhaps later today if there still at work. The jet is probably clean and a small piece of copper wire should work too.
When a carb sits with water inside it can cause HAVOC. First was it salt or fresh water?? Are you rincing with water after the carb cleaner?
Now to the nasty part, as you probably have the hi-speed opened and cleaned it is the easy part. The idle passages are a bigger problem because their smaller. The "jet" is probably clean and you can blow air through the idle jet and the idle adjusting screw's threaded hole. This will force air into the passages but the idle prots are what is hard to get clear. First find some copper wire that will poke into the idle ports around where the butterfly seats at idle, one above the butterfly and one below, poke at these carefully and then with the screw out blow as directly into those holes as you can. You should feel air comming out at the idle jet and the idle screw. A good idea is to get a clean white cloth (sheet or pillow case) and wrap it over the two openings when you do your first blow after poking, if you have cleared anything it should show on the clean rag. If you find oomething on the cloth keep going. These are the passages that will cause the most problem after a soaking.
Don't worry to much about getting the idle jet out!!!

Dave Neptune
  #4   IP: 75.62.242.199
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Silverfox,

You know Moyer sells brand new carbs all ready to go. I'm sure you know this but I thought I would say it anyway. BTW I bought one.

dvd
  #5   IP: 174.58.92.14
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Success!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and encouragement.
Dave, Contamination was with fresh water. Yes, I do rince with water after using carb cleaner and I then dry with air pressure.
With a lot of patience and encouragement, I finally cleared out the idle jet and it's passage with a piece of .020 safety wire and now have a very good flow out the jet openings in the throat. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that all the garbage came out. Thanks again. Bob P.
  #6   IP: 76.215.148.120
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Various size paper clips works too