Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 198.208.159.20
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Use of Globe Impeller in Fresh Water System

I have a freshwater system and the question is if the blue Globe impeller is up to the task of operating in the hot anti-freeze of the on-engine pump (as opposed to a seawater temperature environment of a raw water system).

I though I remeber someone/somewhere mentioning that this was a problem, and to stick with the Oberdorfer impeller...

I do notice the Globe impeller has a plastic shaft coupling while the Oberdorfer has a bronze one...

Any comments welcome...

Thanks,
Don
  #2   IP: 70.151.113.39
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiad33 View Post
I have a freshwater system and the question is if the blue Globe impeller is up to the task of operating in the hot anti-freeze of the on-engine pump (as opposed to a seawater temperature environment of a raw water system).

I though I remeber someone/somewhere mentioning that this was a problem, and to stick with the Oberdorfer impeller...

I do notice the Globe impeller has a plastic shaft coupling while the Oberdorfer has a bronze one...

Any comments welcome...

Thanks,
Don
Don-
This quote was from Don Moyer...

"In checking with Oberdorfer quite a few years ago as to whether or not the extra cost of their Buna impellers made sense in our application, we were informed that Buna rubber was only recommended in industrial applications where chemical components are present to which Buna is more resistant. During the same inquiry, we were informed that Oberdorfer had also tested material similar to that used in Globe impellers and decided against it on the basis that certain performance issues outweighed whatever benefit they observed while operating the impeller dry. In the face of very good service from standard Oberdorfer neoprene impellers, we never tested Globe impellers independently at MMI."

Here's the thread...
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...Globe+Impeller
and another...
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...Globe+Impeller

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30