Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 208.103.246.218
Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 PM

Carb Issues After Covid Layup Solved

I just wanted to put this out there and share my experience getting the boat back in the water after a long layup. Several years ago my engine started leaking oil and then with covid the boat didn’t go in, so my engine hasn’t been used for three seasons otherwise, it ran fine.

This winter I pulled the engine and replaced a cracked oil pan which I discovered was the source of my oil leak. This spring after connecting everything and trying to start, I had a very bad fuel leak at the carb that I had never had happen before. It was leaking at the choke lever. Hmmm. Did I mess something up when I had it off? Dirty old fuel causing it?

I decided to start with simple stuff. I put some methyl hydrate in the tank to help with the old gas. I had left a couple gallons of old gas in the tank. After the leak persisted I got the carb to fix itself!

I ran the engine at a fast idle and closed the fuel shut off until the engine started to stumble, then quickly turned the fuel open. After doing this several times I’m guessing it freed up the float and the leak stopped!

Then the engine suddenly stopped running and wouldn’t start. I guessed I had more more fuel issues. I took off the canister style filter and found no gas flowing. I could also see that the gas was cloudy in the old filter. I replaced the filter after filling it and the tank with fresh gas and put more methyl hydrate in the tank. The engine fired right up on the fresh gas and luckily the fuel clog freed itself as well! So far the engine has been running good ever since( knock on wood). I plan to change the filter again before heading out for some adventures. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Name:  B86408F0-C06E-45C3-BB07-F61196DE3016.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  45.7 KB

Last edited by northchannelsailor; 06-25-2021 at 12:38 PM.
  #2   IP: 134.41.132.177
Old 06-25-2021, 01:59 PM
Afourian MVP

OK...the fuel leak likely resulted from gummed up gas. After 3 years the gas probably would not be fit to burn anyway. Your leak is likely from a gummed up float valve needle.
1. You need to suck the tank out. There could be a lot of water in the tank.
2. Next you change all filters...all of them, water separator, polishing filter etc.
3. Next you take the carb off and clean everything with with brake clean and blow it out with compressed air. Every jet gets, the float needle etc removed and cleaned.
4. Add new gas and prepare to have to do a filter change again. If the engine stumbles it is likely gas or dirt..you might have to go through a couple of cleaning until you have it sorted out. All it takes is one piece of gummed up debris in the main jet and she will be starved for fuel again. But go to filters and the main jet if you experience a problem after initial clean up.
5 Always buy the high test or best gas you can and add the appropriate amount of stabilizer to it every gas can full that you add to the boat...then you know it's treated.

**keep in mind that there could also be other problems that exacerbate the problem so go through the ignition. Check cap, rotor, points, plugs, and centrifugal advance. The centrifugal advance on the distributed should be checked and treated with a light oil as well.

EDIT: That pick is "bad gas" mixed with water. Yellow and cloudy.
EDIT 2 See you have it running...steps 4 and 5...good hustle.

That would be a very good start for you. Hope it works out for you.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 06-25-2021 at 02:04 PM.