Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

#1   IP: 76.106.5.221
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Anyone know anything about this water lift muffler?

It seems to be a nylon (some kind of plastic, at least) fixture, and the model names appears to be "Vetus Type LP40".

Any info about this muffler will be appreciated.

Thanks!
  #2   IP: 99.241.142.88
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 AM

vetus muffler

Our boat had a vetus muffler, however, last year in preparation for a 3 month cruise around great lakes, I installed the Moyer SS muffler among other upgrades. I had heard of plastic mufflers melting. We sail out of Kingston Ontario so our 1st leg was 8 days up the Trent Severn Waterway from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay. Early on, we encountered a serious heavy weed problem in some of the locks that resulted in numerous blockages in the water intake. At one point, I had to motor with the engine overheating for what seemed an eternity but was probably a little less that 10 minutes. If I had had the vetus muffler, I am quite certain it would have melted. After clearing the clogged intake and restarting the engine, the amount of steam and hissing from the water going through the SS muffler was tremendous. BTW, the only discernable damage and still not sure if its a result of this incident, was a minor oil leak at the water pump. As of a compression check at end of trip, values had not changed from the start of the cruise. So, I would highly recommend the Moyer SS muffler.

Alain
s/v Kemana
Douglas 32
  #3   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

I've got the same type of waterlift muffler. It works fine. Its narrow, so it fits perfectly on my boat where I need it to. I'd have problems with the wide base on the SS one. The ease with which I can undo the clamp on its rotating neck and remove it also means that I can move it out of the way whenever I need to get to the stuffing box, shaft, or trans cover.

I'll admit its not as robust as SS and the neck piece can melt. I had to replace the rotating neck piece on my old boat after melting it. It was cheap to replace, so if that's a major concern just buy a spare. Generally not a major concern though. Its certainly tolerant of the overheating episodes I've experienced, though I haven't been forced to run through weed choked locks.

If there's nothing wrong with your's, I wouldn't go changing it.
  #4   IP: 65.211.193.226
Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 PM

common

Fairly common waterlift muffler I would think. I had it on my Catalina 27. Works fine unless something goes wrong with your cooling system / water injection and the exhaust gases get too hot and melt it. Someone tested them in good old boat mag and they didn't present too much of a fire hazard.
  #5   IP: 205.188.116.203
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Vetus water lift muffler

I initially had concerns about a "plastic" muffler but if you review the Vetus product line it is only one style of numerous "plastic" mufflers in their product mix. In my case the muffler is mounted in the lazarette far from engine heat and fed by 8' of muffler hose. I had mentioned in this forum before that my installation is featured in an article in BOATUS DIY magazine ( issue #2, 2008, page 59 ). There are a number of photos included, I used many Moyer components and the Vetus unit allowed maximum adjustment where limited installation options were available. The installation has proven trouble free.
  #6   IP: 206.181.246.34
Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Call me old-fashioned, and no offense to the manufacturer or those using their products, but while plastic is good for a lot of things, and a superior material for many, I would not think anything having anything to do with an exhaust system would be one of them .

bayareadave,

Didn't present "too much" of a fire hazard?!?!

Jim
  #7   IP: 64.12.116.203
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM

"plastic" water lift mufflers

In response to the concerns over " plastic " mufflers, Vetus which offers eight different designs in their muffler line does recommend the installation of a water temperature alarm. Regarding my own Vetus installation I did install a water temperature alarm which is depicted in my article and is of course recommended. The alarm sounds as soon as water pressure drops below a set level.
  #8   IP: 98.218.25.131
Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM

My WLM - Material is fiberglass - it is very light and works fine. I don't worry about it melting as it always has plenty of water in it.
Attached Images

#9   IP: 205.188.116.203
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 AM

detail of Vetus mounting
Attached Images