Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 68.126.186.102
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM

What's not to love about a little ship?

It's been eleven months since I docked at the Martinez Marina. Replaced port bulkhead that holds one of the main chain plates. removed the wood trim above the windows (outside.) turned my fuel tank into a storage locker. Installed new fuel tank. Replaced hoses, plugs, wires...etc,etc. Took all the rust off the engine, and painted it. Cleaned up the keel bolts. checked all sails. Replaced plex-glass in the big windows. removed the engine vents, (mounted right on the transom) and replaced them with new ones forward of the transom.
Filled the new gas tank...checked for spark...and turned the engine over.
Guess what...the fuel pump don't do its job.
My next big thing to do is call Ken, and order parts to rebuild the fuel pump.
What's left?

1) Rebuild the hatch so the bottom is level with the top of the cockpit seats.
2) Install a three step ladder(which I got from a trashed boat.)
3) Rebuild the stupid table.
4) turn one of the quater berths into a sail locker.
5) replace most of the deck hardware.( which I got from two trashed boats.)
6) build a chart table.
7) Replace all the wood inside the cabin.
8) Haul out, lift the mast off...sand, and paint it.
9) Sand, and paint the hull, and deck.
10) Non-skid the deck.
11) check the rudder.
120 Replace all the running rigging.

I love my boat...I do. It's a 1968 Columbia 28. I should be done by the end of January 2011. This winter I'll rod her on San Francisco Bay. I'll sail by Pier 29, and feast my ears as the tourist greet my little ship with, "OOWWW, AHHH."

If you're about the bay in winter, and see GERONIMO on the transom, come alongside...I always have hot coffee, and rum.
  #2   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Domenic,
It seems our boats are brethren.
Mine is a '68 columbia 36.
Wm. Crealock designed both boats. They even changed the keel design on both boats later too.
I'm sure you may have some of the same gripes I have but it's like you say I love my old boat.
You list keel bolts as one of your fixes. I had an interesting time replacing mine.
It's chronicled here on the boat design forum:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...ime-28786.html
I got some great help from these guys.
PM me if you want any stories that may help. Looking at the plans and photos of early Columbia 28s, I see a lot of similarities in construction details.
Happy fixing,
Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #3   IP: 24.196.42.112
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 AM

This is kind of like the classic prison movie line -
"What are you in for?".

Columbia 34 , 1966.

My list damn near overlaps yours. Yesterday I pulled my Atomic 4. Next week I pull my rudder.

What's not to love.

Have a ball on The Bay. Maybe you will be in the America's Cup spectator fleet in a few yrears.

Laker
  #4   IP: 76.254.134.47
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Domenic,

I have a 1974 Cal 3-30. Couple of weeks ago I went right by Martinez Marina on my way home to Stockton Sailing Club from the bay. Wouild have stopped there for the night but I was riding a fast flood tide bubble and was doing about 8 knots over the ground. If I would have stopped for the night I would have had to fight an ebb the next day. I've been in most of the marinas in the Carquenas staits but never in Martinez. As far as work that needs to done or has been done on my old girl, the list is endless. I suppose it would almost be cheaper to just buy a boat that some poor sucker has already spent the money on but if you do that then you'll have a boat set up for somebody else's plan and not yours. At least when we are done with it it will be the way we like them. Anyway good luck on your msitress and maybe I'll stop in to see you on my next bay trip in March.

dvd
  #5   IP: 75.18.173.114
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Where's the "Like" button on this thread?? I agree, when I took a 20% cut in salary last year February the wife said "the boat has to go" as it was a luxury and the slip fees were just "rent" money paid out. Low and behold I sold my Catalina 27 in about a week's time. I was very lucky! I have to say I was like a kid with no toys for the rest of the year and got tired of taking the dog to dog parks. Then a C&C 36 popped up and I negotiated a fair price and have been working on her since January of this year. Needless to say she still needs work but..."JOY"!!

I plan to do a haul-out next season for a bottom job and perhaps refreshen the hull paint. I've never done it but seems like it'll be better than what it currently looks like.

Crash

1979 C&C36 'Dionysus'
  #6   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
As this is an Atomic 4 forum it's safe to assume we all have aged boats with extensive project lists.

As much as I enjoy sailing, it at least equals the energy and satisfaction I get out of of restoration/improvements/repairs. Doesn't matter to me if I'm out on the water or up to my elbows in the bilge, I love it all.

Kalina, nee Osprey, really showed her age when I bought her and the price reflected it, causing dereliction alarms to go off with the marina when I applied for a slip and the insurance company to whom I made application.

I gave up 2 years of sailing to refit her properly and attempt to bring back some of her elegance. It's been a love affair, I give to her and she has always given back.

Here's how she looked when I bought her

Name:  C30 Before Dinette.jpg
Views: 6868
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  C30 Before Galley.jpg
Views: 6613
Size:  85.1 KB

and how she looks today

Name:  Main Cabin.jpg
Views: 24041
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  Galley 10-17-09.jpg
Views: 8851
Size:  101.4 KB

And I still have a list of projects:
  1. Complete window restoration
  2. Keel bolt replacement
  3. New engine panel (add tach)
  4. Replace engine harness to get rid of THOSE plugs
  5. Install new anchor windlass (and another battery)
  6. Add quarter berth opening port to cockpit
  7. Replace lifelines

Edit:
DVD - I worked at Jensen Marine from '73 to '75, was there when your boat was built.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 11-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
  #7   IP: 38.102.16.169
Old 11-13-2010, 03:28 PM
MMI Webmaster

Made sticky and rated excellent!

Bill
  #8   IP: 68.126.186.102
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 AM

They don't build boats like these old Columbia's...And I love my A4.
As to the work, I love doing it.
In January, I'll post some pictures. Great job Nduton.
  #9   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanks Domenic,

In larger projects I seem to reach the "what have I gotten myself into" phase. Always beyond the point of no return, I stick with it and the little accomplishment milestones ward off burnout.

In the early stages of repainting the interior, this is what greeted me for a while every time I opened the hatch
Name:  C30 Main Salon Masked.jpg
Views: 15824
Size:  53.7 KB
Not very glamorous, is it?
Courtesy of the previous owner, I had 200 holes to repair in the fiberglass and another 200 in the teak (I counted them).

Here are a few of the memorable milestones during the project, the kind where you step back, open a cold brewski and take it all in:
  1. Installation of new upholstery.
  2. As discussed on another thread, new lighting.
  3. Steering pedestal installation (originally tiller steered).
  4. New non-skid (after fresh deck paint).
  5. Finally, applying the boat name on the transom - that was a good day.

Last edited by ndutton; 11-18-2010 at 12:00 PM.
  #10   IP: 76.110.26.31
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Smile

Hay Domenic
After looking over your to-do list I think I will just copy it, I have a 1979 30 Cat with most of the same problems. I would say we are both are on the same ship page and after 30 years in the Navy I know the work on big or little ships never stops. O keep the rum handy it would be a nice sail from Miami.
Vince
  #11   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Afourian MVP

Not to take away from this excellent forum, but y'all might like to check out the Plastic Classics forum, if you don't already know about it.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #12   IP: 173.79.222.18
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Neil that is one beautiful Catalina 30 interior. I'd do it on my own, if I had the time and the gumption! Unfortunately, as the bumper sticker says, I'd rather be sailing!

Jesse Delanoy
1977 Catalina 30 "Off The Grid"
Baltimore/Pasadena MD
  #13   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanks for the compliment Jesse, always nice to hear.

I understand the preference of sailing over working but I have somewhat of a unique situation. With my history of working at several sailboat manufacturers and building my own Westsail as they say, "from a bare hull," those that know me have certain expectations. I place minimum standards on myself too, surely a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So I sacrificed a couple years of sailing to spiff her up.
  #14   IP: 74.110.198.83
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I understand the preference of sailing over working but I have somewhat of a unique situation. With my history of working at several sailboat manufacturers and building my own Westsail as they say, "from a bare hull," those that know me have certain expectations. I place minimum standards on myself too, surely a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So I sacrificed a couple years of sailing to spiff her up.
I can relate, to some degree.

My boat was sailable when we got her, and in fact we took her out for some day trips and one overnighter.

But she was showing her age and suffering from "deferred maintenance" in certain areas. Letting these things go longer would only make them all worse and require much more extensive (and expensive) work later on to correct them.

So I've missed pretty much the whole spring sailing season (and we've had some fantastic sailing weather) while she's on the hard and I'm gradually, as I have spare time, here and there, completely rebuilding the engine and replacing the cabin floors and sole.

Still have lots to do, but she's going to be much nicer and more enjoyable when it's all done.

#15   IP: 166.102.89.194
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Neal

Awsome job on the interior. Once I have her running and slpashed I am going to do the interior. What did you use for varnish? How did you prepare the wood for finish? How many coats and did you sand between each?

I see you also added the bulkhead seat. what did you use for the seat base. Very nice.

Thanks
George

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown
  #16   IP: 70.91.159.33
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Thumbs up Beautiful work Neil.

I've had a passion for boats since I was a little kid, the closest I ever got to having my own was building models of them until I met a man who had a habit of collecting boats in the extreme western section of PA about 15 years ago.

I ended up purchasing an old (derelict) International 21 day sailer/racer from him for $200.00.

Froze my tale off one cold winter repairing and refinishing her in an old non heated WWII Army staging camp warehouse. Just me, a heat lamp and the worlds biggest ground hog that was residing in there somewhere, lol. Loved that boat.

It's a very rewarding thing to work on your own boat, Getting to sail her as well is just icing on the cake.
  #17   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Afourian MVP

George,

The teak interior had a reddish stain when I got the boat as can be seen in the original picture. With all the holes I had to plug there was quite a bit of sanding to be done to finish them smooth so I went ahead and sanded all the teak with 100 grit, then 220 grit. After that I restained the teak with a reddish stain to get the colors to somewhat match, then applied 2 coats of gloss urethane with an HVLP gravity feed spray gun, no sanding between coats. With varnish you need to sand between coats to provide a good 'tooth' for the next coat to adhere as well as for smoothness. Urethanes on the other hand chemically 'burn in' with subsequent coats. It's not a perfect finish but it looks better than when I started. Guud 'nuff for who it's for!

The additional dinette seat is simply 2 pieces of birch plywood with a radiussed alder corner post (see pics). I needed to paint the interior fiberglass (many, many more holes repaired) so I painted the seat cabinet at the same time. The really tricky part of the dinette modification is supporting the table with a single leg without the benefit of attachment to the main bulkhead. The hardware needs to be robust.

The modification provides more seating as well as some side benefits.
Attached Images

#18   IP: 166.102.89.194
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM

Neil

I have wondered why everyone finishes their interior with varnish and not polly. Polly in strong, high gloss and easier to apply. Did you find any downside to using it vs. varnish? What type of paint did you use on the interior?

Very nice.
George

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown
  #19   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Afourian MVP

Another of urethane's superior properties is its hardness. Varnish never gets hard, stays rubbery. We learned this the hard way at Islander Yachts. There was an era of high quality interior appointments, custom upholstery and custom exterior colors at Islander, like around '76 - '77. Among the interior features were varnished oak countertops rather than Formica. What a huge mistake. Those counters were trashed within months. However, I don't think varnish can be beat for exterior brightwork and I love the tradition it brings. I used to prefer McClosky's Man-o-War varnish just because of the cool can it came in. There's way better varnish but no better can.

Here's a neat trick for varnish: mix a capful of Japan Drier (aka cobalt drier) in a quart of varnish and it will tack off within an hour. The drier acts like a catalyst in oil based paints.

My paint of choice for the interior fiberglass was plain old Rustoleum gloss white. What they call gloss is really closer to satin. Rustoleum is one of the last honest high solids oil based paints, readily available and reasonably priced. It's durable, washable and easily touched up. I applied it with an HVLP gravity feed spray gun (did I say that already?). I would never use it on the exterior but for interior use it has been fine.
  #20   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Some absolutely excellent information about paints here at the Wooden Boat forum.

#21   IP: 184.148.43.33
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to sleonhard
I'm into my third year working on this boat, here are a few shots of the direction I have been going in. Because of the roughness of the surface I used a filler to smooth the surface out and contact cemented a woven grass cloth to the interiour and varnished it. Then put 2 layers of plastic bubble insulation that was covered with a rigid black plastic material for the side panels. I have removed the cushions and am in the process of replacing them with antique bankers chairs, that I will be refinishing, as a live aboard I wanted to have an actual chair to sit in. The white material behind the chairs is a template that I will use to cut material to make another storage area.

and of course the project list is endless.... at least until sailing season arrives

Capt'n Lenny
Attached Images

#22   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Afourian MVP

That rough coating was actually stipple paint, Jensen's version of acoustical ceilings not for acoustic properties but instead to hide a multitude of sins. It was a thick paint about the consistency of pancake batter applied with a stipple roller, common in their 29 and smaller boats.
  #23   IP: 184.148.43.33
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to sleonhard
Wink

probably looked nice...40 years ago
  #24   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonhard View Post
probably looked nice...40 years ago
No, not really in my opinion and I saw them fresh.
  #25   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Hahaha...yeah..I've come to the conclusion that many ideas were not good ones, even right out of the box.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif