Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 08-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Higher than normal oil pressure at start-up after overheating episode...

This is a new symptom after resolving all coolant flow related symptoms from my prior thread about the blocked raw water intake.

We ran the engine for over an hour motor sailing last week. Oil pressure at normal 40 psi. Oil temperature usually settles in at 40 psi shortly after start-up.

Replaced the moyer flange pump backing plate gasket today and started the engine. The oil pressure sensor spiked the gauge and never came off of 80 psi during 30 minute engine run. Ran in forward and reverse several times with variation in throttle. Stopped and restarted engine without incident 3 times during the practice run.

1. Checked oil level before and after test run. Full and no signs of leaking oil.

2. Checked temperatures throughout the test run. No temperature spikes. Everything nominal. 80 to 110 degrees across the head. Engine sounds good.

3. Because of the high oil pressure, though I would and did monitor temperature of direct drive transmission cover plate. Plate temperature was between 100 degrees and 109 degrees. I have no idea what others measure here. Or what a normal measurement is. The temperature did seem to increase the longer I ran the engine.

4. I have never messed with the oil pressure adjustment screw.

5. I have never messed with the oil pressure sensor or sender.

6. I have not installed an analog pressure gauge yet.

7. Wondering what oil pressure sensor components might have been compromised during my brief 200 degree temperature spike episode.

8. Wondering whether it is safe to run the engine for normal use while trouble shooting.

9. Wondering if there is a pre-tapped location on the motor to install a second oil pressure gauge while keeping my current sensor in place.

My next steps.

1. Researching threads.

2. Buying an analog oil pressure gauge.

3. Finding out how to test sender and gauge.

4. Finding out how to test oil pressure adjustment screw.

5. Changing oil.

6. Seeking guidance here.

Thankful. Fair winds.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA

Tags
high, oil pressure