Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 24.7.186.240
Old 07-15-2022, 11:26 AM

Pig in a poke

My wife and I came across a Bob Perry Islander that was owned by a senior citizen who came to the last stretch of highway and had to get rid of it. We bought it from a flipper who knew nothing about the boat for a rock bottom price. Thus far, our rolling of the dice has paid off. It has an A4 with around 900 hours on it, and the elderly former owner was an engineer who kept the boat in very good condition (although it sat for over a year).

We have now identified every system as being in good or better condition except the bottom, which has a small forest (our fingers are crossed about osmosis but these boats are known to be fairly blister free for their year). I went under the boat and cleared the raw water intake, and the engine is running with perfection, and sits at a nice 160ish degrees. The transmission engages beautifully and the prop is working. No drips and no leaks. My question: I suspect the prop and shaft have marine life and/or vegetation on them. I don't want to damage any shaft packing or gland cleaning them. I also don't want to run it with something on there out of balance, ike a barnacle or mollusk (I am comparing it to a Cherokee I had once that developed a bad driveshaft and damaged a bearing over time) and damage the gland or packing. Is there a standard prop on these and what are they made of? Can I use a metal brush to clean the prop? Is it a brass or bronze prop, normally? No available hull cleaners this weekend. If I have to let the boat sit for another week I will but we are eager to take our maiden trip. Boat is in East Bay SF, CA.

Last edited by Browntrout; 07-15-2022 at 11:29 AM.