X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Unexpected Shutdown

Today I took the boat out and after 5 minutes the engine started losing power. I got back into the slip and the engine died. It would not restart. I looked at the Moyer Checklist I felt it was fuel related First thing is to take off the gas cap. It fired right up. Turned it off and put a napkin over the gas filler hose. Blew compressed air in the gas tank vent hose. I got nothing. Ran a wire up the vent hose and pulled out a large spider egg sac. Tried again and blew the napkin right off. The things we go through to sail. I am going to replace the hose just in case there is more.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

I worked in an outboard shop as a kid and we regularly had customers bring in their OB because the water pump was failing since they could not see water coming out of the "pedo tube". Ninety nine percent of the time it was a spider egg sack or a bug plugging the line and the pump was fine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

How does this happen? The vent fitting is supposed to have a protective screen on the opening. I recommend checking the presence and integrity of that screen and replacing the fitting if necessary.
      Attached Files
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
      X