• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hanley is correct.

Those are the requirements here in Canada also Hanley. 5 lb may work if used correctly...if not, it's over because it's spent.

This one was thought to be an electrical fire as far as I know. It was my friend Phil's boat...a C&C 30 like mine. (my boat is directly behind her on the other marina. The fire wrote another off and another severely damaged. The heat also damaged the bow of the two boats in the direction that you see the smoke drift. Memers of Fleet Diving unit dumped 4 5lb'ers from neighboring boats into this before it even got this bad. Once the fiberglass gets a start its bad news. They pulled one boat away but couldn't go back due to the heat. It actually grew more and more until the arrival of the fire tug. She went out when filled with water (by fire tug) and sank. Recoved a few days later and was burned to about 18 inches above the waterline.

Fiberglass will flame up again and again after its knocked down because of the heat generated, it's a very toxic chemical fire in every sense of the word...I would caution everyone not to under estimate a fiberglass fire....get it out.

Last edited by Mo; 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Just read one I didn't note earlier.

If using Halon everyone should be out of the space. In the case of sailboat fire, the engine compartment should be well enough enclosed to
      A) activate the system
      B) get everyone on deck in fresh air.

Once Halon is released there is no buffer zone on breathing....it interfers with the the O2...now chemically altered so that it can't be part of the circle of fire. As it does this, the same O2 cannot be used by humans to enable respirations. One may make the decision to activate to knock down a fire and then rescue people in that space...they will then need supportive or advanced life support depending the amount of time in that environment.

In an engine room, the arm goes off (lights flash and all that good stuff)...the engineers and stokers are trained to react and know that halon is cutting loose....then the halon is activated...Systems are designed to allow people to escape the engine room. Once the fire is knocked down a rescue is done ... people that did not get out....some may have been injured in the initial emergency situation.

Halon is all or nothing...it's always all on a ship or boat. If the boat goes you have nothing.
      Last edited by Mo; 12-25-2011, 06:37 PM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Maurice's remote fire extinquisher

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
        Neil,
        That's about as good as it gets. Prevention is the key.

I'd like to make a suggestion about extinguisher placement in the boat. I've seen lots in the galley area where galley fires are anticipated.

Placement of Extinguishers:
        Extinguishers should be located in areas where you may access them easily while leaving the boat. The first thing to is move to a safe area, grab an extinguisher then attack the fire. No good trying to haul an extinguisher off the rack when flames are licking at your face.

Fire safe training has always dictated that you leave the area and do not return to fight the fire. If you are along side make the decision to fight or not and call 911. If you are at sea you have no choice...you need to get that fire out. Once fiberglass gets going it's hard to put out...so get that fire out fast. And you will have to do it.

Extinguisher locations on Odyssey.

-10 lbs....base of mast
        -10 lbs....stb lazarette. Stb lazarette is enclosed with hole through bulhead and extinguisher nozed pointed in engine compartment through a hole. This also counts as my outside extinguisher. Because it is down in a sealed lazarette, fire in the boat will not interfere with my access to it. If I pull the pin and squeeze it will empty into the engine compartment and under cockpit area. If I need to pull it out and unload it into the boat it comes out just by lifting straight up...nozzel also will come...I've tried it.
        -10 lbs....V birth Prt side...for exiting the forward hatch. Can then make a decision if you want to fight fire from there and extinguisher is available.
        -10 lbs... stb settee area.
        -5 lb in closet stb side...came with the boat and I left them where it was.
        -5 lb at base of steps....came with the boat and I left them where it was.

I think I paid either $39 or $49 (can't remember now) for each 10 lb extinguisher at Costco. So let's say fire system cost $200. Really not that bad.

Hi Maurice

Is it possible to see some pictures /and or diagram of this remotely activate fire extinguisher? I am much interested .
        in your setup.

Thanks and Best Regards

Art

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Pic tomorrow Art.

Will get you one in the morning Art. It`s just an extinguisher standing in the corner of stb lazarette and it`s nozzel is over a bulkhead. Once you pull the pin and squeeze the handle it dumps it`s contentents into the engine compartment area. On my boat none of this is not completely air tight and I imagine the powder would come out around the steps etc....but I think a fire would be put out...if that 10 pounder is unloaded in there it can`t help but knock down a fire.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• systemek
            • Jul 2011

Some great info here. I can't help but wonder how a forum of diesel owners and fire prevention would compare......
            sigpic
            Ezra K
            "Tumbleweed"
            1970 Cal29
            San Diego, CA

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
              Will get you one in the morning Art. It`s just an extinguisher standing in the corner of stb lazarette and it`s nozzel is over a bulkhead. Once you pull the pin and squeeze the handle it dumps it`s contentents into the engine compartment area. On my boat none of this is not completely air tight and I imagine the powder would come out around the steps etc....but I think a fire would be put out...if that 10 pounder is unloaded in there it can`t help but knock down a fire.
              Thanks Maurice

Appreciated very much

Just wanted to see the details, and importantly, see how I could install
              something similiar in my Tartan 34 which would both operate fool proof and
              just as importantly, not be able to be accidentally triggered.

Best Regards

Art

Comment

• Administrator
                MMI Webmaster
                • Oct 2004

I hope it's obvious that an airtight, or nearly so, engine compartment, won't work.

Bill

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Hi Bill

Looking for a "air tight " accidental deployment solution , Not a air tight compartment.

Best Regards

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                    I hope it's obvious that an airtight, or nearly so, engine compartment, won't work.

Bill
                    Good point. I have seen some that were far too tight. Even with a good blower running it is necessary to provide an inlet for fresh air. In the event of fire the automatic halon discharge will still fill the space.

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Extinquishers.

Art.

Attached you will find some pics of the extinguishers etc on the boat. The goal for me is to have them available for use if required, but I don't want to see a fire extinguisher in every direction...so I've sort of tucked them into easy reach spots.

The next one will have the video of the engine compartment.
                      Attached Files
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Fire extinguisher for engine area.

Fire extinguisher for engine compartment area.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Mo; 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ArtJ
                          • Sep 2009

Hi Mo

Thanks for the pictures.

I (possibly mistakenly) thought you had some sort of remote cord attached
                          to a extinquisher which could be pulled from the cockpit and set off the
                          extinquisher in the engine compartment ? That is what I was hoping to see
                          pictures off.

Best Regards and Thanks

Art

Oops I missed your video now I see how you accomplish things.
                          What I was hoping for was a remote string on a extinguisher and possibly a 3 or 4 ft hose on the business end so that
                          the extinguisher could be fired remotely and be directed into a very small engine compartment.
                          My engine is partially down in the keel covered by a small removable sette/ engine cover in the center of the main salon, so I cannot fire the extinguisher the way you describe without being down below in the main salon.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed
                          Last edited by ArtJ; 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Sorry Art,

Maybe I worded it wrong. You don't have to leave the cockpit to activate it. I have to open the cockpit locker and activate it. I don't have to go into the boat. Although hard to see there is a wooded bulkhead separating the under cockpit area /and engine area from the lazarette. The extinguisher is in the lazarette but it's nozzle goes into the engine compartment.

The nozzle is secured with a tie strap but the tie strap is on loose. This allows direction onto the engine area but also allows you to extract the extinguisher in a hurry if you need it for something else.
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ArtJ
                              • Sep 2009

Hi Mo

Please see the edit to my just posted response.

Best Regards

Art

Comment

• Mo
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Jun 2007

You get some pics or a diagram of what you want. My good buddy owns a fire safety business...he does it all from skyscrapers to yachts....I will get in touch with him and let you guys talk. I bet he could tell you what to rig in a few minutes.
                                Mo

"Odyssey"
                                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                                X