X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkVon
    • Apr 2020

output coupling key length?

I recently received 3 keys with a new output coupling from Moyer Marine. Two are shorter and one is longer. Does anyone know what the correct length should be?
    Attached Files
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Output couplng key

Mark,

We've seen factory installations with key lengths between 1 1/8" and 1 1/2". The key should never be more than 1 1/2" since this is the fore and aft dimension of the output coupling and the key should not extend past the coupling when installing the coupling on the tail shaft. Don

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Output coupling key

Mark,

I need to back peddle on one point I made in my previous post, which was that keys up to 1.5" are OK to use between output couplings and tail shafts. This is NOT the case. The tab on the tab washer takes up some of the space in the keyway, and (more importantly) there is a small ramp in the bottom of the keyway in the tail shaft just forward of the bevel spacer which which also takes up some of the total available length of the keyway. Bottom line, the two short keys that measure just over 1" are perfectly OK to use. The longer key is NOT. Sorry for the slip up! Don

Comment

• MarkVon
        • Apr 2020

Thx Don! You guys have great service, especially for people like me who are just learning the A4. I spoke with Ken today and he confirmed this as well.

Comment

Working...
        X