X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmarks
    • Apr 2013

Oil Change

I am trying to figure out how to change the oil on my A4. Is it possible that there is not an oil drain plug on the back lower corner of the right side as you are facing the front of the motor. Also, is it possible to change the oil through the oil drain hole on the left side of the motor about half way back from the front? I tried to pump out the oil through the dipstick hole but it did not work. I would like to buy the Moyer Marine oil changing kit, but I do not think my motor has the oil drain plug. There has got to be a better way.....
  • Tim
    • Jul 2005

There is drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan on the left side below the flywheel. The tube for the dipstick stops about 3 inches above the bottom of the oil pan so you won't get much oil out that way. The MMI oil change kit connects to the oil plug on the side/top of the oil pan below the carb. That is the best place to pump out the oil.
    Pearson 10M
    Gloucester, Va

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

You should be able to pump oil out through the dipstick hole.
      I use a length of metal tubing (maybe 1/4" ??) into the dipstick hole that has my pump's tubing attached to the other end.
      Cut an X across the bottom of the metal tube that goes into the dipstick hole so it will draw better.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: Saw Tim's reply. I can't get to the drain plug on my boat. The engine bed was designed by an engineer that didn't his or her job!!!!!
      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• yeahjohn
        • Jun 2012

Dipstick hole works well for me. Buy the west marine oil extractor and it takes about 10 min to do the oil change and there is no mess.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Agree totally with using one of the vacuum oil extractors - large translucent tube with a pump handle on the top. I think mine says Tempo. Assemble a tube or two, stick them into the dipstick hole, and give the handle a dozen pumps - then go away and do something else. Like magic, the oil goes from the sump into the extractor - no fuss, no muss. Step two (don't ignore this step) - take the extractor off the boat, THEN pour it into another container.

Comment

• Bold Rascal
            • Mar 2011

Best (easiest) way

Vacuum extractor from West marine,
            Dip stick tube extension from MMI..
            Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
            1973 Pearson 33
            1967 Bristol 27
            sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Well worth the expense, in terms of time and frustration saved, and ease of getting the job done.

- Bill T.
              - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• tenders
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Another hint: do it with warm oil. Cold oil is quite viscous and you're never sure when you've got it all out, although if you have to pump cold oil, the vacuum pump makes ALL the difference.

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

NOW you tell me!
                  (BTDT cleaned up the mess)

The extractor does more than the A4. My BMW had a top mounted oil filter. Using the extractor, I could do an oil change in good clothes and not get any oil on me

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                  Agree totally with using one of the vacuum oil extractors - large translucent tube with a pump handle on the top. I think mine says Tempo. Assemble a tube or two, stick them into the dipstick hole, and give the handle a dozen pumps - then go away and do something else. Like magic, the oil goes from the sump into the extractor - no fuss, no muss. Step two (don't ignore this step) - take the extractor off the boat, THEN pour it into another container.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• Naileyou
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by gmarks View Post
                    I am trying to figure out how to change the oil on my A4. Is it possible that there is not an oil drain plug on the back lower corner of the right side as you are facing the front of the motor. Also, is it possible to change the oil through the oil drain hole on the left side of the motor about half way back from the front? I tried to pump out the oil through the dipstick hole but it did not work. I would like to buy the Moyer Marine oil changing kit, but I do not think my motor has the oil drain plug. There has got to be a better way.....
                    I believe the big drum at the front of the engine that says oil AC you pull that off and put oil down that hole

Comment

• Golfdad75
                      • Sep 2014

Where does the oil kit go

Looking at my engine from the fly wheel does the kit go into the plug on the Right side that is tilted up.?

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
                        Looking at my engine from the fly wheel does the kit go into the plug on the Right side that is tilted up.?
                        Yes, just aft of the carb.
                        See the attached pics...
                        Attached Files
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
                        X