• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Blue smoke!

OK, finally got launched yesterday.
    Had all the mechanical stuff done in advance, so it was just a matter of turning the key, and zoom! Only Needed 3 seconds of cranking and the old A-4 roared to life.
    My question to the group is how long should it take to burn off the " fogging" spray I used in the fall, and as it burns off what typically should the color be?
    NOTE- I am a self confessed OVER KILL kinda guy....shameful, but I'll still break of nuts and screws because tighter is better. In the fall, after stalling out the engine with fogging spray, I doused each cylinder, and then went back at the carb for good measure. All in about 1/2 a standard size can used.

I have never before seen any amount of blue smoke from the exhaust , and yesterday I saw for the first time a minor amount for upwards to 10 minuets of gently idling. The exhaust smoke diminished after the first 10 mins., but never completely disappeared
    I had a old timer inform me that all the winterizing spray should be burnt off in seconds. I would think the spray should burn off as white smoke....yes?

I'm hoping this isn't the beginning signs of a major overhaul.

Any insight you can share would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jimmy
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

My thought: depends on how much is in the carb. The stuff in the cylinders would burn very quickly, but I can easily see it taking a while to dissolve and burn all of the fogging oil collected in the throat of the carb--especially if you used a lot!

Depending on what you used, the smoke from fogging oil would be oil smoke and I would think that it would be blue. Like an outboard.

How long did you run the motor and did you get it up to temperature? I would be curious to know what happens after running for an hour at cruising speed.
    Mike

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Could be as simple as a sticking ring, which likely could be persuaded to work itself loose with a little squirt of MMO in the cylinders and running for a while...
      - Bill T.
      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Jimmy
        • Aug 2011

I did let it idle for 15 minuets further in the slip, and the smoke was diminishing, but never totally disappeared.

Can anyone suggest the Canuck , of the shelf version of MMO. I'd like to try a little in each cylinder tomorrow, and set my mind at ease.....

Jimmy
        sigpic
        Jimmy
        C&C 29 MK1
        Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Jimmy,
          I remove and clean the plugs after first start up...typically run for a few minutes and do the deed. Typically little smoke after that although you may need to adjust the mixture screw if you had your carb off and cleaned over the winter...same deal on that as normal.

I don't put anything in my gas but if you want to add some oil just dump some 2 cycle oil in the tank...will be fine. We don't have access to MMO in Canada without paying excessive duty etc....so it is what it is.

EDIT: Just noted that you wanted to put some in the cylinders. I would just run the engine a while longer and see if it sorts out. Sometimes a sticking ring etc might cause a little oil burning after winter storage...so I'd run it a bit and see if the smoke situation clears.
          Last edited by Mo; 05-09-2013, 04:16 AM.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Carl-T705
            • Jul 2011

fogging oil isn't like MMO it has real clinging power, after it dries on a part it designed to really stick and coat parts. I believe you simply haven't ran the motor long enough to wash all the oil off. I only use fogging oil on things like engine components that I can wash when I'm ready to use. I've never used it on internal engines that are completely assembled so my experience here is limited.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Perhaps

Jimmy, think in hours not minutes for a ring to reseat if that is indeed an issue. The oils can take a bit longer to burn out if your exhaust is dirty. The KRAP that plugs the eshaust can hold oils for quite a while and it takes very little oil to make a bunch of smoke.
              Do you use anything in your fuel like addatives? If so that could well be the problem. The mix can often settle out a bit IE the fuel you are drawing from the bottom has more "stuff" and you will need to use all of the fuel in the filters and lines after the boat rocks around for a bit and the well mixed fuel finally gets to the carb.
              Don't worry yet and if you are do a compression check. Persanally I'd run a few hours first, liquid bread seems to help this too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Sony2000
                • Dec 2011

Since MMO isn't in Canada yet, I'm thinking of making a mix of 2 cycle outboard motor oil and Seaform, that is now in Canada. For your purposes get the Seafoam at Canadian Tire ( a white aluminum bottle) and have fun cleaning the inside of your Atomic 4.

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  Jimmy, think in hours not minutes for a ring to reseat if that is indeed an issue. The oils can take a bit longer to burn out if your exhaust is dirty. The KRAP that plugs the eshaust can hold oils for quite a while and it takes very little oil to make a bunch of smoke.
                  Do you use anything in your fuel like addatives? If so that could well be the problem. The mix can often settle out a bit IE the fuel you are drawing from the bottom has more "stuff" and you will need to use all of the fuel in the filters and lines after the boat rocks around for a bit and the well mixed fuel finally gets to the carb.
                  Don't worry yet and if you are do a compression check. Persanally I'd run a few hours first, liquid bread seems to help this too.

Dave Neptune
                  Thinking along the same lines as Dave.
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                  The optimist expects it to change.
                  The realist adjusts the sails.
                  ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Jimmy
                    • Aug 2011

Trade Beer for MMO

Thanks for the insight guys......I've no issue running around for a hour or so, and as for liquid bread....we Canucks may not have MMO, but man have we got the other covered. And that gets me a thinkin' .......maybe I can meet in the middle of Lake Erie one day with a A-fourin from the Southern side and we can swap contraband.......MMO for 6% beer .
                    .....wonder if ill get a knock on the door tonight

Cheers
                    Jimmy
                    sigpic
                    Jimmy
                    C&C 29 MK1
                    Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                      • Mar 2011

Seafoam

Nothing against MMO. I keep a fairly large bottle on the boat.
                      Seafoam is also a good product, did wonders for my old Honda VF750 with quad carbs.
                      Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                      1973 Pearson 33
                      1967 Bristol 27
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X