X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

That 'thing' is what we call a dowel pin. They're tapered and go in from one side, usually the same direction as the adjacent bolts. You have to tap on the other (small) end to get them out. The A4 engine is basically 3 castings. The dowel pins maintain alignment critical stuff between the three pieces. The block is fit, doweled, and bolted to the transmission. That assembly gets cut smooth and fit to the oil pan, again doweled. Makes it tough to change one of the 3 parts, as the dowel holes don't line up and have to be recut or enlarged to the next size. Bolts generally have enough clearance to go in fine.
    The corrosion on the side of your block came from the bolts holding the water jacket cover plate. Bolts have a clearance at the root, crest, and on the flanks of the threads - they will NOT make a seal. The fix for those bolts is to install studs into the block (sealed with epoxy) then use nuts to hold the cover plate.
    Didn't see the second photo.
    Are you currently heading toward repair or replacement? I know of an A4 that has been rebuilt but never run.

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
      Are you currently heading toward repair or replacement? I know of an A4 that has been rebuilt but never run.
      I do not know what I am going to do. I do not have time to go for a full rebuilt (although there are a couple nice engine candidates available on line for that). It would be either a short block from MM, a running one (always hard to know if a seller statement is correct), or a overhauled one by somebody that can be trusted. It goes down to $$, shipping, engine history etc..

And of course there is the stupid idea of just slapping a bunch of JB weld on that long crack and starting that engine in front of the garage and see what happens. Would be done already if I had a distributor...

Next on my list is to call Ken to see what he has available...
      Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

There was another member that had an engine (I'm spacing the name) that had and engine he had rebuilt. Never saw a note it was sold.

Where are you located? Shipping could make a difference, which is why I'm building my engine than buying one from MMI. I'm on the left coast, Ken is on the right.
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

• Surcouf
          • May 2018

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
          There was another member that had an engine (I'm spacing the name) that had and engine he had rebuilt. Never saw a note it was sold.

Where are you located? Shipping could make a difference, which is why I'm building my engine than buying one from MMI. I'm on the left coast, Ken is on the right.
          I am in Rhode Island. This would be a 6 hours drive to MM, each way.
          Surcouf
          A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

marriage counseling

You said you just want to go sailing until August.

It is common to put an outboard motor on the Cat 27.
            If it is legal, get an old 9.9 two-stroke for relatively less dosh than a new four-stroke kicker.
            Hang it on and go sailing.
            I have a 1975 C27 whose outboard bit the dust. I'm trying to decide between the Tohatsu 6HP SailPro or 8HP outboard. I'm sure that the 6 would be fine for docking and maneuvering but I'm a little concerned that it wouldn't get the boat to hull speed when motoring for hours in light winds or...

In the light of today's economy, I think a boat will be hard to sell this fall.

That poor A-4 is gone.
            Russ
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
              I am in Rhode Island. This would be a 6 hours drive to MM, each way.
              With Covid-19 traffic... probably closer to 5 hours.
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Here you go, $1500:

Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                  You said you just want to go sailing until August.
                  In the light of today's economy, I think a boat will be hard to sell this fall.
                  Russ
                  Yes.
                  The worst time to sell a boat in Rhode Island is in the fall and winter. As the days get shorter and the weather cooler and as the holidays approach no one thinks about sailing.
                  The best time to sell sail boat in spring & summer.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                  X