old boat..new owner..needs tlc..might as well start a thread about it and its A4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by thatch View Post
    WOW! Looking good

Tom
    +1!

Bill

Comment

• GregH
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2015

Very Nice!!
      Greg
      1975 Alberg 30
      sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

CAT 30 with tiller steering. Interesting. I presume pedestal steering was a factory option at time?
        Awlgrip paint on the hull? Looks good what ever it is.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Right on!

Cheers
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by thatch View Post
            WOW! Looking good

Tom
            +1!!!!!!!!
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
              CAT 30 with tiller steering. Interesting. I presume pedestal steering was a factory option at time?
              Awlgrip paint on the hull? Looks good what ever it is.

TRUE GRIT
              Tiller steering was standard I assume (I made a new tiller for the boat.) The pedestals were an option, but with the A-4 engine controls in the middle of the cockpit they were way forward almost up in the companionway, and awkward (my friend Spence had hull #355 with wheel steering & A-4..you almost had to climb around the wheel as you came out of the cabin.)

This paint is a two-part polyurethane called Alexseal...my understanding is this is the same guy that formulated Awlgrip years ago, and after the patent expired, re-formulated it under Alexseal maybe 15 years ago??

I have an ST-2000 tiller pilot that I bought from another forum member and it works great. Except for the bimini, the #2 best purchase ever. I actually really like the tiller...when we are not sailing, it is up against the traveler and lazarette and the entire cockpit is clear.
              Last edited by sastanley; 06-25-2019, 10:57 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Beautiful Shawn. I weep for the first scratch.
                One of the nice things about Alexseal is that it is repairable. You can do a 'soft edge' with tape and sand a bit and repair and topcoat again..I hear Awlgrip does not really work like that. I practiced a bit on flaws as I was painting before the final coat. The practice areas were not perfect, but I can see it happening with the right technique and it will blend right in.
                This job is not perfect at 5 feet. Looks good from about 10 feet though!!
                -Shawn
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2007

"This job is not perfect at 5 feet. Looks good from about 10 feet though!! "
                  Well within my tolerances. Nice job.
                  Dan
                  S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

Oh! I didn't understand that you did it yourself. Good job; I'm inspired.
                    I'll look up Alexeal.
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                      Oh! I didn't understand that you did it yourself. Good job; I'm inspired.
                      I'll look up Alexeal.
                      Russ, I can see maybe I was not clear that I did the work, but I did..I had a bit of help along the way..a friend I trusted with a brush sometimes tipped behind me, and sometimes I just tipped it myself.

This is part of the reason I have been so quiet on the forum..Off in my own little world any free moment I had since at least Easter when I hauled it. I only sanded the entire boat 6 times with 220 to 400 grit paper depending on which stage I was...the boot & cove stripes another 4 times with 400 the first two and 600 by hand the last two.

I have a million pictures (ok maybe 50) but I didn't bore the group with all the sandings of the undercoats. It is more dramatic to show the West 407 filler from April and then the finished product in June...but I'll be happy to share all data I have. Some of it in my head, and some of it in my notes. One major one, thin/reduce the top/finish coat(s) more than you think. Alexseal's application guide showed numbers up to 35% I think, but, I think I was at 46-48% by the end, and I could have gone to 50% or more..The thinner you can make that last coat and let it flow out (without running) the better. This was a roll & tip application in case someone reads this 20 years from now using Alexseal's brush reducer (thinner) & converter (catalyst). If you spray, you use different products with the base paint.
                      Last edited by sastanley; 06-26-2019, 11:02 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Nicely done or sure. Amazing accomplishment for a bit of labor.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Thanks to all for the compliments. By the way..after a 60-ish day layup on the hard, the A-4 started almost instantly, and pushed the old girl at 5.2 kts at about 1,900 RPM effortlessly..(a clean bottom and prop helped!)
                          -Shawn
                          sigpic

Comment

• Wisakedjack
                            • May 2015

Shawn, she looks beautiful! Very nice paint job and thanks for sharing the details. I am planing to paint my boat next off season and will look into Alexseal paints. I have 1976 Catalina 30 with a similar setup: tiller and end of boom mainsheet. I just love it. Enjoy and smooth sailing to you
                            Alex
                            1976 Catalina 30
                            Perth Amboy, NJ

Comment

• Boat
                              • Aug 2014

going thru the process of painting our boat. we were in the awlgrip group. but then the boatworks today guy on youtube just showed the new alexseal holy ****, that stuff is impressive nice job, well done. you have inspired me to give it a whirl now
                              '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• Administrator
                                MMI Webmaster
                                • Oct 2004

Shawn:

I figured that was a spray job by the folks at SCM.

Amazing result! Way to go!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X