Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: Is your bilge wet or dry?
Bone dry 11 10.58%
Wet but I wish it weren't 49 47.12%
Wet as I would expect 44 42.31%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

#26   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
It's rare to have bolts or threaded stock threaded into an original keel. Having been involved in the manufacture and purchase of keels, the 2 common methods were to place J-bolts (aka anchor bolts) as part of the casting process or to weld bolts to an internal steel spine and cast that assembly in place.

BTW, the additional water I mentioned would be salt water.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #27   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Right you are Neil...they are J bolts (6) in mine ( I do believe)...the original manual from factory is on the boat so I'll have a peek at it. The water seems to stay at one level...about 2 1/2 inches. This part of the boat is at least 2 feet underwater so if it was a major I'd think there would be more accumulating there.

Will check again where my level is again this morning, heading down to the boat in a few minutes.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 04-02-2012 at 11:34 AM.
  #28   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Afourian MVP

...the same amount.

Ok guys,
I hadn't pumped out the boat in 24 hrs and the same amount came in...it comes about a 1/4 inch from the top of my bilge pump but that's as far as it rises. When I hit the pump it pumps for 50 seconds. It's not back flow from the pump as the line would not hold enough. I figure about 2 gallons total comes in and then it stops. I wonder if it somehow equalizes pressure and holds at that level.

Regardless of what's going on....that just won't do for me. I have the gear to take it out and check / seal etc ...whatever has to be done. Any ideas??

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#29   IP: 8.19.13.22
Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
Having a wooden boat makes this question a little different. Salt water can never harm a wooden boat but fresh water will, every time, and that is exactly what sweats or condenses on the inside of the planking and then runs to the bilge. Since my hull is so swollen up with oil that there is no leakage at all, it is necessary for me to flush the bilge periodically with salt water (to keep her "sweet" as the (really) old timers would say).
I remember hearing that the ancients would throw rock salt into the bilge to keep it "sweet" and keep the fresh water rot down.
I'm not suggesting this should be done on modern wood boats; only as a item of interest.

TRUE GRIT
  #30   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
It's rare to have bolts or threaded stock threaded into an original keel. Having been involved in the manufacture and purchase of keels, the 2 common methods were to place J-bolts (aka anchor bolts) as part of the casting process or to weld bolts to an internal steel spine and cast that assembly in place.

BTW, the additional water I mentioned would be salt water.
But Niel, I thought the Catalina 30 has lag bolts for keel bolts?
My old Columbia has 'em.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...ime-28786.html

R.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #31   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Ok guys,
I hadn't pumped out the boat in 24 hrs and the same amount came in...it comes about a 1/4 inch from the top of my bilge pump but that's as far as it rises. ...
To me, this suggests some sort of a back-siphon, but I'm at a loss to explain it.

Another possibility just occured to me. Could there be a slow leak in the raw water part of your cooling system? This would only transfer a limited amount of water into the bilge and stop when the section with the leak was empty, just the sort of thing you're seeing.

#32   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Afourian MVP

No Russ, as manufactured the Catalina 30 has eight 3/4" anchor bolts cast into the lead. For those of us with older boats there are two issues with the keel attachment system that some of us are resolving with supplemental stainless lag bolts:
  • There's a plywood shoe inside the bilge fiberglass that turns to mush and compresses if it gets wet - and it seems they all do sooner or later. This results in the notorious "Catalina Smile", a crack in the hull to keel joint usually found at the forward end of the keel, sometimes extending farther aft.
  • Steel bolts in the early boats- mine, Shawn's and Thatch's included - may be deteriorated due to this water incursion. Any problem is in an area that cannot be inspected so we rely the progression of the crack and signs of water weeping into the bilge from the area of the keel bolts as indicators of condition.
I've come up with a supplemental keel support system that involves 3/4 x 10" stainless lags and custom stainless castings to eliminate reliance the original plywood and steel bolts without going through the arduous task of removing them. My structural engineering has been double checked by a professional so I'm good to go. Installation is planned at the next scheduled haulout.
  #33   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Afourian MVP

Edward,
I'll have a good look around when I get back to the boat again later this evening. I checked the tru-hulls under the cockpit. All seem dry and it's dry under the engine....but I will check it all again. I will also have a look at the head plumbing and other tru-hulls. Whatever it is it's small. It not like I can see the water rise after pumping...it's seeping in.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#34   IP: 98.101.210.6
Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Question Can this be?

If I understand Neil's comments correctly, it seems that the Catalina has, in effect, a plywood keelplank thru which the ballast keel is bolted with steel, that is ferrous, J-bolts (not stainless). Is that right?
  #35   IP: 98.101.210.6
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking Ancient Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
I remember hearing that the ancients would throw rock salt into the bilge to keep it "sweet" and keep the fresh water rot down.
I'm not suggesting this should be done on modern wood boats; only as a item of interest.

TRUE GRIT
The practice continues to our day and is well regarded. I have done it myself, but a good salt water flush is far superior. The rock salt is mainly left in the bilge of wooden boats being stored in case rain water gets in. Of course for a fibreglass boat with mixed metals in the bilge salt water is destructive.
  #36   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
If I understand Neil's comments correctly, it seems that the Catalina has, in effect, a plywood keelplank thru which the ballast keel is bolted with steel, that is ferrous, J-bolts (not stainless). Is that right?
That is essentially correct on the earlier boats. Catalina did away with the plywood shoe and went to stainless anchor bolts in later model years. The hull and keel joint is something to be watched but in my case the joint is 35 years old and has been in the water 100% of that time. I have only the smallest "smile" and zero seeping from the keel bolts. Still though, I'm installing a remedial system. Any change in the indicators mentioned in the earlier post and my installation schedule will be accelerated.

About the plywood, there is a keel stump forming the bilge that's part of the hull molding. The fiberglass in that area is the heaviest of anywhere in the boat. The intent of the plywood was to spread the bolt forces over a larger area than only that grasped by the flat washers. Also, the keel isn't solely supported by the bolts. There is a special epoxy-based adhesive that bonds the top of the external keel to the underside of the bilge. At Columbia the adhesive was Epi-bond, unbelievable stuff. Unless that bond is completely broken, it still takes days of work to remove a keel even after the keel bolts hex nuts are removed.

The adhesive is common on many other boats besides Catalinas. There was a Columbia 34 at the plant that had a standard keel attached instead of a shoal draft as specified on the sales order. We undid the bolts, lifted the hull in the Travelift slings, jostled the hull up and down, wiggled, hammered, chiseled, pried and cursed for three days before the keel came off.
  #37   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Afourian MVP

Ah!
Niel, I got that idea from the Catalina Direct Co. because they sell lag bolts for a solution. I thought it was just a replacement set of bolts.

Let me get this straight, The Catalina keel joint goo was an epoxy-based sealer that is now sometimes failing to make the "smile"?
And, the Columbia goo was Epibond that has stuck well over the years?
Or did they both used the same goo?

I thought maybe my Columbia goo was 3M 5200 or some kind of polysulfide. I Googled around and found Furane Epibond 150 A/B. No evidence what it was, but I guess Furane goos of all sorts were and are used to hold big jet airplanes together.

I really REALLY appreciate knowing all I can about the way my old boat was made. Thanks for the input. Wish I could buy you a few bears and talk old boats for a few hours.

I was delighted to find dry mahogany(luan?) in the core of my keel stub when I drilled for a few sister bolts as described in that Boat Design forum link.
Guess we should let topic drift back

cheers,
Russ

Last edited by lat 64; 04-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.
  #38   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Afourian MVP

I'd say we're still on topic. External keel fastening systems have quite a bit to do with wet or dry bilges.

And look, anytime you want to chat about Columbia you can start a thread, PM or email me. Anytime. Remember talking about H metal??

Your research that turned up Furane Epibond 150 A/B sure sounds familiar, especially the 150 A/B part. It was a miserable material to work with but oh boy, did it ever do the job.

edit:
Regarding the Catalina smile, there's speculation over what causes it but I think it is a combination of factors: wet plywood that has compressed, due to the sweep of the keel there's a portion at the front ahead of the first bolt (exactly where the crack occurs) and improper blocking during haulout. Combine all three and you have a perfect cocktail of contributors.

I've seen externally ballasted boats of various brands with the telltale crack. I think it's called the 'Catalina' smile because of all boats that have it, most of them are Catalinas. Factor in that there are around 7 - 8X the number of Catalina 30's built compared to any other boat of its size and if you add in the Catalina 27 fleet, the numbers get heavily skewed toward Catalina.

Last edited by ndutton; 04-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
  #39   IP: 71.206.74.65
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM

Wet due to AC

Always wet with fresh water.
I have my 8000 btu evaporative AC unit running on shore power 24/7 to combat mold and to keep the boat at 72* so when I arrive I can get out of the heat immediately. It generates a couple gallons of fresh water per day. I have that water drain hose plumbed into the bilge at the moment and the bilge pump comes on automatically every hour and purges it. Been going like that for almost a year now. The batteries each have a 2amp tender now but before that I could get about 3 months between charges with the bilge pump coming on frequently for the AC.
k
2012 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - The Commuter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 - 31k miles, sold
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 - 9k miles, sold
"Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive, and ye shall have.
And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: That your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:24
  #40   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Hanley, As Neil already mentioned, yes..that is exactly how they are built..Up until 1979, they had steel J-bolts, mine and Neil's are among those as 1977 boats. The plywood was still installed until the late 1980's I think..maybe as late as 1987-1988?

Catalina's official fix is to grind out the the top layer of glass, remove all the plywood and then re-glass the bilge, extending the glass up and around the turn of the bilges.

I have no water intrusion yet related to my steel bolts, although the boat had a pretty good smile. I fixed that the first winter, by cleaning out any and all debris and exposing fresh material, jamming 5200 in the crack and filling and fairing over top of that. I also sistered in six lag bolts (but not buying the terribly overpriced Catalina Direct kit that Russ mentioned.) The drilling for the lag bolts revealed moist plywood, but not completely saturated, yet...

Apparently, if you can cut off the old nuts, the stud itself is usually in great shape underneath, and you can usually chase the exposed threads with a die & install stainless nuts & or a backing plate(s), etc..That is my long term plan, although an off-line discussion with Neil over a year ago provides me with good confidence that the lag bolts coupled with the original J-bolts are stong enough that I can worry about other more significant things for now. I do plan to tackle it some day.

All that being said, I like to keep my bilge dry. Some rain water makes it in, but just a few ounces..the bigger issue is the ice-box drain, blech, blech, blech! I need to plumb a cheap pump into the sink drain to fix that!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #41   IP: 98.101.210.6
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Shawn - This is a little out of my comfort zone since I have never done a Catalina 30 but my first impression is that I would attempt to fashion some sort of "keelplank" to replace the plywood mush, using something hard and nasty like purpleheart or angelique. Then put backing plates and washers on top of that; but I would not put stainless nuts or anything stainless on top of those iron j-bolts. But "sistering" stainless hangar bolts with all stainless hardware is a great idea. I don't inderstand why they didn't just run long (stainless) keelbolts right thru to the bottom to be held with nuts and washers, and then plugged. Stainless and lead are comfortable together, from a galvanic point of view, but iron and lead in salt water is a disaster waiting to happen.
  #42   IP: 75.74.178.214
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM

WOW glad I read this thread thru now, i thought it was about drawing rain water from the beginning.
This is something I will have to look into soon as I am planning to have a bottom job done in a couple months. I also don't understand the pricing from catalina direct for the bolts???

$279 for lead keel retrofit kit:
Special 8" long, 1/2" diameter lag bolts are passivated type 316 stainless steel for longer life. Includes extra long 18" drill bit. Since there is not adequate space to work inside the bilge, the long bit can reach into the bilge so you can work above the cabin sole.

$289 for cast iron keel retrofit kit:
Includes extra long 18" drill bit and an extended length, reduced shank tap. A long, ratcheting tap handle is also included. These long tools can reach into the bilge so your drill can be above the cabin sole. A 36" piece of type 316 stainless steel threaded rod is included. After drilling and tapping the holes, the rod is cut to length...

Im inclined to source these items separately (to estimate blindly) at less than $100 for all parts, at least they list the sizes and tools lol. Then provide them to the boatyard when they pull the boat to refinish the bottom.
"Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive, and ye shall have.
And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: That your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:24
  #43   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Keys,
This fellow gave me some good tips on my keel bolts vis-a-vie the other forum. Seems like a good sort. You could buy him a beer for me

Paul "PAR" Riccelli
Company: Riccelli Yacht Design & Restoration
Phone: 352-357-1248
34539 Marshall Road
Eustis FL, USA 32736

Rus

Last edited by lat 64; 04-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
  #44   IP: 75.74.178.214
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
Keys,
This fellow gave me some good tips on my keel bolts vis-a-vie the other forum. Seems like a good sort. You could buy him a beer for me

Paul "PAR" Riccelli
Company: Riccelli Yacht Design & Restoration
Phone: 352-357-1248
34539 Marshall Road
Eustis FL, USA 32736

Rus
Hes over 7 hours north of me so definitely cant buy him a beer for you unless hes down this way.
I will give him a call anyway.
Thanks for the lead!
kris
  #45   IP: 98.101.210.6
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking Terminology?

When I hear discussion of "lag bolts" being used in lead ballast keels I am going to hope and "assume" you are really talking about "hangar bolts". Hangar bolts have wood screw type threads on one end and machine threads on top to receive a nut. Lags have a hex or square head that means the torque is developed by turning threads into the lead ballast. The hangar bolt develops torque by means of the nut after the other end is screwed into the lead.
  #46   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
When I hear discussion of "lag bolts" being used in lead ballast keels I am going to hope and "assume" you are really talking about "hangar bolts".
Not in my case, I'm talking about honest stainless lag bolts for a few reasons:
  • The torque required to drive a 3/4" lag bolt into 8" embedment in lead is more than I'd want to put on a double nut arrangement required with a hanger bolt. My plan includes a properly sized pilot hole, sealant on the threads that I hope will act as a lubricant during installation and a heavy duty impact driver with 4 foot breaker bar and two brutes hanging on to it for the driving operation. Lead is a very gummy material and I expect the operation to be a bear.
  • My holding strength calculations were based on 7" (of a 10" lag bolt, 2" loss through the stump bottom and plywood shoe + 1" fudge factor) of the coarse lag threads in contact with lead. I'm not up on the exact ratio of lag threads to machine threads of a hanger bolt but I'm pretty sure I'd lose a few inches on the top to machine threads.
  • I haven't seen any 3/4" x 10" stainless hanger bolts available anywhere, not sure they even exist.
I don't recall if I discussed my system before. I'm placing custom stainless castings (aka 'floors', pictures of the casting patterns are attached) in the fiberglass keel stump that transfer the load off the bottom of the stump where the plywood is sandwiched to the turn of the hull at the stump. That area is the strongest portion of the hull due to thickness and curved shape. My stainless lags will bolt through the bottom of the castings through the keel stump into the lead. These are supplemental to the existing bolts.

The holding force calculation of a single lag embedded in 7" of lead exceed the weight of the entire keel by a factor of about two. I'll have 7 lags, if I ever remove my engine, an eighth lag will be installed. The actual holding strength is expected to be greater because the calculation was based on pure lead and external lead keels are cast with 5% antimony for enhanced hardness.

My calculation determined 8800 lbs. holding force per lag. Dividing that by four for a 4:1 safety factor allows 2200 lbs. per lag working load. Seven lags = 15,400 lbs. working load, keel weighs ~4500 lbs. For comparison I had the calculation performed independently by a professional engineer and it came in at 9000 lbs or within 2.2% of my calcs.

I've also included a drawing of cast bronze floors for wood boat construction from Sparkman & Stephens Naval Architects from where I 'borrowed' the concept. It shows the through bolt and lead plug technique Hanley mentioned earlier.
Attached Images

Last edited by ndutton; 04-04-2012 at 10:20 AM.
  #47   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Hanley, Yes, lag bolts. This is not a permanent fix, but a stop-gap measure that after the calculations from Neil above, at least gives me a little piece of mind until I feel like messing with it, they are probably sufficient. You can see that if I drive them too far, the washers distort since the wood underneath is soft. If the keel ever moves, I'll certainly be able to tell! However, if I had a set of those floors, I'd just lag them in place and probably be done with it!

I was able to drive these in by hand with a 4' pipe on my 1/2" breaker bar.

For Kris' benefit, below is Catalina's official fix for Catalina keel issues. And I agree..I picked up the longest 1/2" lag bolts (SS) from a local non-chain real hardware store, & an 18" long 7/16" drill bit for less than $20 from the local Ace Hardware.

Here is an after pic.. of the lags sistered next to the original studs.

Also, attached is the Keel fix document. it is a GIF file, so shows up as a picture.
Attached Images

"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #48   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Afourian MVP

Uh, right, yea, hangar bolts

Niel,
Very pretty patterns! I'll bet you can sell a few casting to others.

My keel bolts were hangar bolts originally, and I guess the factory must have had a way to drive them. I made my replacements from lag bolts that had the same thread pitch. I cut off the heads, cut new machine threads on top, and spun them in with lots of 5300 goo.
I probably only have about 30 to 50 lbs torque on the nuts—if that. Any more and I think I would be crushing the keel stub core. I don't think they need to stretch like a head bolt. I did some of those calculations too, and I found I must have about 15 times the strength I need. I like that!
Before the fix, none of the nuts were tight at all, and most were gone to dust. Only the Epibond goo was holding the keel on for the last few years. There was no crack in the seam at all! Whew!

I was originally thinking of using the lag bolts with heads on, but there is really no good way to re-torque them when they have bottomed out in the original holes. Do you plan to make the holes deeper than the lags?

Again, nice floor beams. Another cool Dutton mod.

R.

Update: I forgot to mention that I alo have three additional Everdure bronze studs with machine threads sistered along with all the new galvinized hangar bolts. Photo shows the new bronze, and the old ones before pulling.

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by lat 64; 04-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.
  #49   IP: 96.248.13.91
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Neil -

Did you make those floor pattern? If so, what is it made of? Very cool.

My floors are a little more traditional - I made them out of 2x6 doug fir, then coated with penetrating epoxy sealer and Bilgekote.

My lead keel is fully enclosed in fiberglass, so there are no bolts exposed anywhere. I'm not completely sure exactly how they built it, but I know there is 3,800 lbs. of lead in there, but none of it is exposed. It seems the hull is shaped to include the keel, and the lead keel is somehow put inside it, and then there is more fiberglass on top of the keel on the inside of the boat.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #50   IP: 98.101.210.6
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up Impressive Planning

Neil - Looks like you have thought this matter thru very thoroughly and I must defer to your many years of fruitful experience with this type of construction. Please forgive my instinctive negative reaction to the notion of torquing down into a casting. I have some experience drilling and tapping lead castings and then turning in fasteners and I admit it is a "bear". I'm sure there is a good reason why you elected not to go for thru-bolting and plugging. Again, very impressive and I look forward to following the thread that I'm hopeful you will share with us.