• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlucas
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2011

Starting problem

I have a newly rebuilt A4 from Moyer Marine (June 2009) in my C&C Corvette. I have intermitant starting problems. Sometimes she starts right away, other times I just hear a click from below and then the switch on my panel in the cockpit switches off. I switch it back on and repeat until finally the engine turns over. I`ve tightened everything I can lay my hands on. Batteries are new; main battery switch is new; I`ve replaced the push button switch in the pedistal. Not being electrically inclined, I`m running out of possible solutions. Any thoughts???

Mike Lucas
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Hi Mike..welcome.

Was the starter new when the engine was delivered? My first thought is the starter solenoid is failing. The intermittent click (at the starter?) but eventual success is a tell-tale sign. I don't quite understand the switch turning itself off though. Is it a key? A breaker? A toggle switch? It also sounds like you have a separate push button to start.

When it clicks again, lightly whack the starter solenoid with a winch handle & try again..sometimes that will make it work..but it also indicates it needs service. Any good engine shop should be able to service it. I take mine to the local Mennonites that specialize in electric motors...they recognize the parts I bring in as being from an Atomic 4 (I've also taken my alternator to them) by the color!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Mike-
      Another welcome!

Did you have this issue BEFORE changing out the BATTERY SWITCH and/or PUSH BUTTON ignition switch you mentioned?
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• mlucas
        Frequent Contributor
        • Jun 2011

Starting problem

Yes, the problem existed from the time we installed the `new`engine and plagued us all the way through the Trent Severn system. Batteries, switches have been changed since.

Mike

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

I'm guessing here that you just used the old starter after the rebuild?

Like Shawn says, it might work after a little tap to set the contacts. But... it really needs to be pulled out and gone through by a recommended shop. Have them test or fix every coil, bearing, contact, etc...

cheers,
          Russ
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Sounds like you need to attend to the starter solenoid and/or the starter - what model is your A4...early or late?

Cheers!

Comment

• mlucas
              Frequent Contributor
              • Jun 2011

statrting problem

Late. Boat is a 71 so one of the last built. Engine was a complete redo by Moyer.

Mike

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Moyer re-did the engine, but did Moyer provide a new starter or starting solenoid? Or did you re-use your old starter/solenoid?
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• campbdon
                  • May 2021

Recommended Inspect/rebuild Solenoid/Starter Services?

Hello, can anyone here share their experiences on reputable shops for this type of work? Toronto/Great Lakes area especially? Thx.

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

My boat did this. I cured it with a "solenoid solenoid". The starter button in the cockpit activates a relay that activates the solenoid that starts the engine.

You can buy a starter button tool you can clamp onto the starter battery connection and the solenoid connection. If this works fine, your issue is the wiring. If it doesn't help, you need to fix the starter and/or solenoid itself.

Last edited by joe_db; 06-03-2021, 11:25 AM.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• scratchee
                      • Feb 2020

This thread was a temporary fix that bought me some time until I finally got a new solenoid:

Comment

Working...
                      X