Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-18-2022, 03:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Diagnosing engine stall and no restart during throttle up..

My Pearson 30 is on a mooring in Salem Harbor MA

Motored down the Danvers River a week back without incident. Engine performed like a champ and winter work on cooling system hose replacement and clamps all water tight.

Total motoring time 1.5 hours including bridge wait times.

Today went to the boat to improve securing the deck/rig for expected high winds etc. Decided to spin the prop in the never ending fight against barnacles.

Engine started without incident.

Throttle pulses up in forward and reverse.

Then final throttle pulse in forward heard a throaty gargle, lost power.

Engine will not restart. I ran out of time to get very far here is what I have done. I believe I have a fuel system problem. I am suspecting pump and pressure over fuel quality and carb(rebuilt last season).

1. Confirmed spark at plugs.

2. Removed all plugs; dry and show healthy spark surface.

3. I have a facet pump. I noticed a second clamp the PO had placed on the pump intake had come loose. The PO had plumbed in a fuel pressure gauge which I am thankful for.

4. Tightened all fuel hose clamps.

5. Jumped oil pressure switch. The facet makes its pumping noise. The fuel pressure gauge shows 0 Zero. Does not move.

6. I had to leave before seeing if fuel was flowing when pumping, from either the valve at the bottom of the carb or through the pump inlet hose that attaches to the Facet barbed fitting.

7. I tried a little starter fluid and did get some combustion.

8. My Racor filter is under a year old. And I might check the drain bolt for water, have never done this before.

9. Fuel stored with Sea Foam gas treatment. Zero evidence of water in fuel while running on hard or running down river.

10. All cranking (kept to minimum) done with water inlet seacock closed(RWC). Both with cockpit ignition and remote starter. Oil pressure fine, exhaust pressure fine, during all motor runs.

So my punch list next boat visit.

1. Run pump look for carb main valve flow.

2. Run pump look for main feed flow.

3. Check all Facet hoses and especially hoses to after market pressure guage.

4. Check Racor filter for water. Need to look into this. I have the metal bowl with a check plug on the bottom.

5. Possibly test fuel for water with test strip

Welcome any thoughts, suggestions, Just taking it a step at a time as you all have trained me to do. Thankful. Until next. Stay well.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
  #2   IP: 162.245.50.230
Old 06-18-2022, 04:50 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
If all fuel lines before the pump are indeed tight you very likely have a bad fuel pump as your gage indicates. Doubtful the fuel turned bad since the last run. If you find no water in the filter just buy a pump and I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine.

Dave Neptune
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
Sam (06-20-2022), TimBSmith (06-18-2022)
  #3   IP: 100.36.81.23
Old 06-20-2022, 10:40 AM
Afourian MVP

I have had Facet pumps fail before with the check-valve ball getting stuck. The test and quick fix is easy, but it won't last.

Simply open the bottom of the pump. It has a 3-prong bayonet style attachment, and can be turned via a nut-shaped boss on the bottom of the pump. Be prepared to capture the cup or so of gas that will come out. Remove the strainer, and the bottom of the check-valve ball will be exposed. With a fingertip, gently press the ball. It should depress smoothly. If it doesn't, press harder and it will come free with a "click". It should then operate smoothly. Reassemble and test.

Unfortunately, in my experience, this is only a temporary fix. It will eventually stick again. But it can get you to where you need to go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edwardc For This Useful Post:
Sam (06-20-2022), TimBSmith (06-20-2022)
  #4   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-20-2022, 10:59 AM
Afourian MVP

Going to the boat later today. Will take a look a this.

What is strange is that when I bypass the oil pressure switch I get a normal pumping sound. No pressure on the fuel pressure gauge.

Time allowing. I should know in a few hours if: the fuel lines are tight around pump and gauge, the pump is pumping fuel, no upstream obstructions, no obvious carb obstructions, the carb is receiving fuel. I will also evaluate check ball valve.

Reviewed video of Don's sudden shutdown checklist as well.

Thanks to all. Will report back. And belated happy father's day to all dads here.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
  #5   IP: 208.93.185.253
Old 06-20-2022, 11:47 AM
Afourian MVP

Hook up a portable tank. If the pump works that isolates the problem to tank-pickup - lines to pump. A simple air leak can prevent a pump from pumping. If the pump does not work, then you know it is the pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to zellerj For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (06-20-2022)
  #6   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-21-2022, 07:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Update: resolved.

Skip to learnings if you are that guy....

1. Main passage plug on carb- Bone Dry
2. Main passage fuel flow with jumped Facet pump- Nothing
3. Main feed from fuel filter to Facet Inlet with jumped Facet pump- Nothing
4. Effect of removing gas fill cap and also checking vent- None
5. Removed all Facet and pressure gauge lines and reclamped- nothing
6. Smelled oil for gasoline- nothing
6.5 About to remove fuel filter...deferred..
7. Blow through open line at fuel filter through to tank, main fuel valve open- could sense pressure
8. Suction pressure through open line at fuel filter, main fuel valve open- THINGS GOT INTERESTING QUICKLY.
-Created an uncontrolled siphon which I stopped by closing main fuel valve. Was ready with pig rags and container...still a very sporty moment.
-Noticed during siphon event that when I held fuel line from filter up, FUEL SPILLED OUT OF THE TOP OF THE RACOR FILTER WHERE IT MEETS THE MOUNTING BASE. LEAK ACCOMPANIED BY GURGLING NOISE.

The Racor Filter had become LOOSE, (creating a pressure failure but no observable leak) and I could turn filter with lightest finger pressure. I tightened the filter with wrench. Attached all hoses, tightened clamps. Cleaned up, vented, and ran blower for a while.

Jumped Facet pump, positive pressure on fuel pressure gauge.

Proceeded to engine start-up. Engine started on first crank. Idled like and champ. No evidence of fuel leaks. Pressure gauge steady around 5 psi. Thank you for the help.

Learnings
1. Check tighteness of Racor filter even if not changing.
2. Plan to add fuel hose and a new Facet pump to my engine kit onboard.
3. Need a better method for suction pressure testing fuel system. Unleaded gas and Sea Foam don't suit my palate. Perhaps squeeze bulb.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimBSmith For This Useful Post:
edwardc (06-22-2022), GregH (06-22-2022), sastanley (06-22-2022), Surcouf (06-22-2022)
  #7   IP: 67.184.216.83
Old 06-22-2022, 02:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Good news - you never lost anything if you learn something from it. My only thought is that a continuous 5psi just prior to carb seems a little too high for a carb designed to run at 1-2 psi - may have some issue with the float. Facet has multiple psi pumps. The higher psi pumps are recommended when the tank is a distance away from filter/carb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (06-25-2022)
  #8   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Fuel pressure gauge 5 psi....

Thanks Sam. Will watch closely pressure at the gauge. No idea which facet pump I have, so looking into that to see about replacement unit for boat. My main fuel line runs approximately 12 feet from tank feed to fuel filter. Noted the possible float issue. Will collect some info. Stay well.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA