• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svmisty
    • Oct 2016

Two cylinders down

Hi, Afourians -

I get no compression in the first and second cylinders nearest the flywheel and farthest from the exhaust. I checked that the valves were closing properly and all appears to open and close desirably.

We put MMO into the first cylinder when its valves appeared closed, let that soak overnight, turned the engine, let the other set of valves soak, tapped on the valves from above with allen wrenches, moved the valves by hand via the access panel behind the carb, and moved the springs around a bit with vice grips. All seemed similar to the working valves. While we were there, we calibrated to spec the clearances between cam and valves. We did compression tests between all these fiddlings. Still zero.

EXCEPT we got 30 psi when we tested immediately after putting some MMO into #1. It couldn't be replicated in #2, and #1 returned to zero after sitting briefly.

Then we ran the engine to heat it up, let her run with throttle completely open for a few minutes, much to the chagrin of our marina neighbors, and 1 and 2 weren't firing. My friend DID seem to notice a slight hissing sound in the vicinity of those two cylinders as if air was escaping somewhere, although we couldn't tell where.

I've attached a photo of the engine. Perhaps its general setup could give you some clues.

Looking forward to helpful advice!!
    Attached Files
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Welcome to the forum.
    First thought is a blown head gasket between #1 and #2. Could also be a breach in the cylinder wall between #1 and #2 but much less likely.
    Do you have any info on the engines history. Has it run well in the past, any prier compression tests, head gasket replacement, loss of power underway?
    Have you verified that the compression gauge is working properly? Did you try it on #3 or #4?
    Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I was going to say head gasket too. Head removal might be in order or maybe 2 stuck sets of rings???
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

By the looks of where the water injects it could be stuck rings. If you have access to a stethoscope you can easily find the point of hissing and if hissing was indeed heard a gasket set is in order.

NOTE if there was water in a back (LOWER) cylinder and she was cranked the hydraulic slam could easily breach a weak head gasket.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

That might be - I hope it is - a water jacket and not water injection.

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          By the looks of where the water injects it could be stuck rings. If you have access to a stethoscope you can easily find the point of hissing and if hissing was indeed heard a gasket set is in order.

NOTE if there was water in a back (LOWER) cylinder and she was cranked the hydraulic slam could easily breach a weak head gasket.

Dave Neptune
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Peter
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2016

Any sign of water in the oil? Is it milky/frothy?

Is the amount of water coming out of the exhaust (assuming raw water cooling) abnormal? Particularly more than usual?

Let's hope not.

Peter

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

This would be a great time to use a leak down tester.

It sends compressed air into the cylinder and you listen for where the air is escaping.
              Last edited by romantic comedy; 10-25-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X