Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#26   IP: 74.101.158.133
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Afourian MVP

That little drip will drive you nuts and slowly rust your engine. I'd suggest fixing it, possibly with a little Permatex around the sealing surface.

I just bought the Moyer version of this pump and am reserving judgement until I've had a few seasons to try it out, but I think the original Oberdorfer pumps are a pretty weak link in the A4 system. I've been around a few A4s over 30 years and would guess that the pumps have been working at 100% to their design less than 30% of the time.

They're expensive, easily munged up and leak-prone between either the finicky seals or the finicky chamber plate, the seals are expensive and somewhat difficult to rebuild, the grease-cap-twisting regimen is barbaric and fraught with likelihood for failure, the impeller retaining clip is inconvenient, and this whole recent issue with the impeller sizing is just dumb to have to contend with.

There, I've said it.

I'm glad I don't have FWC and another one of these types of pumps to deal with.

Last edited by tenders; 05-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.
  #27   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Afourian MVP

Let me post another opinion:

The original 1974 pump has worked since new, as far as I know. Yes I have rebuilt it a couple of times in the last 15 years. The rebuilds are very easy with no special tools required. Cheap too. I can do it aboard. I have another new pump as a spare. This year, I swapped out the original for the spare, because I know the original works fine.

I have FWC, that I made up myself. No Kit. I use the Oberdorfer 201M pump for the seawater. This pump has failed twice. By failed, I mean that the seal leaked and I had a stream pissing into the bilge. I recently had the 201M rebuilt by a shop. (the shop that Don recommends, it is near me). It cost a little over 200 dollars.

It seems that the mechanical seal on the 201M is not tolerant of sitting around for months of no use. Imagine that?

while I agree that the 201M which has "real" bearings, and not just bushings, may seem like a better pump, it has not been that way for me. It is all about reliability!!

The MMI pump looks wonderful, and I would love to have one. I think that Don uses a better seal for that pump, but I dont know.

I have two original type engine driven pumps, and two Oberdorfer 201M pumps. I think that is enough. I dont need any more ballast.

Tags
water pump