X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diandave
    • Apr 2019

Raw water routing.

Hello all. Forum virgin here. Hope I get this right.
    Is it possible to run raw water system from intake to strainer to HX to pump to exhaust? Instead of stringer to pump to HX to exhaust? Would allow shorter hose runs in my situation. Thanks.
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

Welcome to the forum... possibly one of most helpful forums around.

The pumps (even displacement pumps) push liquid better than they pull liquids, so you will normally see a pump on the "early" part of a flow diagram. A home water well is great example of need the pump early in the system flow since they can push hundreds of feet, but pull only a few.

If it's a closed (recirculated) system you have more flexibility in pump location, but typically and ideally always at the lowest part of the system. This lets air escape to higher parts of the system

Since you are looking at raw water cooling, it not a recirculating system and the pump, needs to be 'early' in the system. I would not move it from it's tried and true location.

Could you get it work? Maybe. But if you got an air bubble in the system from the heat exchanger and the pump sucks that in and happens to lose it's 'pull'... you will stop cooling your engine, which ends up badly.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

+++ on what Ron said. It’s easy to design something that works when everything around it is working normally. The tough part is to design something that “fails safe” when something else goes wrong. And things WILL go wrong. Murphy will see to that!
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X