X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alcodiesel
    • Oct 2015

shaft coupling

So I'm investigating the drip rate on the stuffing box (too fast) and I turn the stuffing box and discover there is play in the shaft to coupling connection. The lock nuts are wired. Go ahead and tell me the bad news.
    Bill McLean
    '76 Ericson 27
    :valhalla:
    Norfolk, VA
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

You need to determine which is the offending component, shaft or coupler, and replace as indicated. The full Monty is replace both. Good time for a MMI split coupler.

Do it right, cry once.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• alcodiesel
      • Oct 2015

Thank you. Yep, Neil, that's about what I am thinking. Now we're talking an unplanned dry dock . And the shaft is unbelievably difficult to get to.
      I only use the iron sail in and out of the marina. 20 mins and I don't push it. I've been waiting all summer for the wind to return and it's just coming back now. I'd like to do this when the wind gets poopy again, June, July.
      Will tightening the 2 wired bolts on the coupler, if loose, help?
      Bill McLean
      '76 Ericson 27
      Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
        Will tightening the 2 wired bolts on the coupler, if loose, help?
        Yeah, you'd better tighten them up or your shaft could slip out in reverse.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Torque is transferred from the coupling to the shaft by a key. Thrust loads fore/aft are transferred by the set screws. It's important that the set screws seat into drilled recesses in the shaft, otherwise it's easy for things to get loose. And if they get loose the prop and shaft can slide aft out of the coupling.
          Navy practice is to add some pieces to the coupling. The shaft gets a groove machined in it a bit back from the front end. The coupling goes on past the groove, then a pair of half-circle plates fit into the shaft groove. It all gets bolted up to the next piece forward.
          If the shaft pulls out of the coupling, it isn't good. If it just pulls aft a little, you lose propulsion. If it pulls aft a lot (like through the stuffing box) you could lose the boat.

Comment

• alcodiesel
            • Oct 2015

Ok, I got the bolts tight. Thanks to Blaster getting them loose. Now there is no play in the coupler to shaft joint. I have a pull out scheduled January 17. Looking to replace the coupler, shaft, stuffing box, log, possibly the cutless (or cutlass- I've seen lately)
            Bill McLean
            '76 Ericson 27
            Norfolk, VA

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
              Ok, I got the bolts tight. Thanks to Blaster getting them loose. Now there is no play in the coupler to shaft joint. I have a pull out scheduled January 17. Looking to replace the coupler, shaft, stuffing box, log, possibly the cutless (or cutlass- I've seen lately)
              Cuts Less - Cutless
              Cutlass is a sword
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on this. Regardless of pedigree, "Cutless" and "Cutlass" for the names of our shaft bearings have both been commonly accepted at least as far back as I was purchasing them at Islander Yachts, nearly 5 decades ago.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• Sam
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Apr 2010

Off topic but I have to make a comment on Islander boats. Elderly gentleman in his 80's, strong physically but forgetful on a can next to mine has a 64 Islander 32 that had not moved all summer - reason "couldn't get A4 engine started". I got involved in Oct and was overwhelmed by the toughness of the boat - small cabin, built like a tank with the A4 sitting at the bottom of the companionway - takes up cabin space but the BEST access ever all around. Thx to Moyer parts no/weak spark was solved by new rotor/coil/wires and fuel delivery with new fuel pump and idle passage carb cleaning all done with ease. [He had EI but did not know he had it] He was then able to motor/sail about 15 miles to winter layup. Very envious of the engine access.

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

Not sure why you're replacing all that stuff. Does it need replacement?
                    Make sure whoever is doing the shaft has the coupling in hand so they can drill the shaft for the coupling set screws. They can also face the coupling so it's running square to the shaft.
                    DO NOT tighten the set screws against a smooth shaft and expect them to keep the shaft secure.

Comment

• msmith10
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2006

As Al said, squaring off the facing of the coupling is very important and I think often overlooked. You'll never be able to align it properly if the face isn't square to the shaft.
                      Mark Smith
                      1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• tenders
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Bill/alcodiesel, what’s your shaft diameter? I have a 3/4” split coupling around here somewhere that I intended to use on my 32 but that is incompatible with my vee drive. Not too many 3/4” shafts out there but if your 27 is one of them I might be able to make you an offer you won’t want to refuse.

Comment

• alcodiesel
                          • Oct 2015

Thank you.

All the other stuff came with the boat and all is of unknown age. Years ago I made this my last boat so putting $ into her gives me no heartburn- she's staying in the family.

The cutless replacement is a maybe. I detect strange sounds coming from that area when in gear.

I want a dripless put in and

I think best practice is replace the coupling and shaft.

As for the log- Original? I want to make a determination on all.

I believe the engine has to come out due to very limited access.

Technically I can do all this BUT my physical condition limits this to near zero possibility. I'm gonna have this professionally done and I will have a say in all steps (which might cost more-haha). That's what the haul out in January is all about.
                          Bill McLean
                          '76 Ericson 27
                          Norfolk, VA

Comment

• alcodiesel
                            • Oct 2015

Guess what Tenders- it's a 3/4"
                            Let's Make a Deal.
                            Bill McLean
                            '76 Ericson 27
                            Norfolk, VA

Comment

• tenders
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I am out of town this weekend but will embark on a Quest to find the coupling.

Comment

Working...
                              X