Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 159.2.76.44
Old 05-12-2022, 12:12 PM

Throttle Cable Clamp Mounting Location

Hello All,

I have an A4 with V-Drive, engine installed transmission forward and flywheel aft, which currently clamps the throttle cable on a bracket bolted parallel to the manifold using the middle and aft manifold studs. The bracket looks like the MMI Throttle Cable Bracket in their online catalogue, but I am told this is a non-standard installation. I don't know how the throttle cable should be clamped when it is installed running along the manifold from flywheel end to the carburetor lever - what can I clamp it to?

The reason I need to change the cable installation arrangement is because I am replacing the old manifold with a new, but thicker, manifold from Moyer Marine. The new manifold is too thick to install using the existing studs on the side of the engine block and will need to be modified by milling a substantial amount of material (about 3/16") from each of the nut seating faces so that the nuts will be fully engaged with threads. As the nuts will now be recessed with respect to the casting's outer surface, I can't reinstall the existing mounting bracket on the studs and will need to find another way to clamp the throttle cable.

Can anyone suggest a good arrangement for clamping the throttle cable which does not require using the manifold studs?

I know there is also an option to replace the manifold studs with longer ones, which could be much easier than the above mentioned modifications as long as things don't go sideways. But, I recently had to replace a rusted through water jacket side plate which turned into a bigger job than anticipated/hoped after many of the mounting bolts twisted off during removal even though I soaked liberally with penetrating oil and tried to be as gentle as possible. Anyways, that experience does give me some pause when contemplating changing out the studs.

Thank you for you input.

Tom
  #2   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 05-13-2022, 07:55 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Replacing the manifold studs may be easier than fabricating a redesigned bracket. If a redesign is your preference please know that you have options such as:
  • Relocating the shift arm to the other side of the engine.
  • Mounting the cable bracket to other structure. For example, mine is attached to the underside of the cabin sole.
  • Attaching the clevis to the lower end of the shifter arm as shown in the picture.
Attached Images

prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 159.2.76.44
Old 05-13-2022, 11:14 AM

Thanks Neil,

I was actually seeking suggestions for alternate mounting locations of the throttle cable clamping bracket. Perhaps my post should have been more succinct.

I have found a couple of photos of v-drive engines using a z-shaped bracket mounted on the end stud - perhaps that is the typical installation.

However, notwithstanding my water jacket side plate replacement misadventure, after further thought and reading I am inclined to agree with your suggestion that replacing the studs may be a better approach. Apparently others have discovered manifold studs which were severely corroded away from the inside but looked OK from the outside.

Tom
  #4   IP: 100.15.153.148
Old 05-13-2022, 05:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Hello All,

I have an A4 with V-Drive, engine installed transmission forward and flywheel aft, ...
Can anyone suggest a good arrangement for clamping the throttle cable which does not require using the manifold studs?
Tom,

I have a V-drive too, and an MMI manifold. My throttle mounting is very non-standard. The MMI manifold has exhaust ports on both ends, so the didn't have to manufacture two different parts 9left-handed and right-handed). The unused port gets capped off with a plate and two bolts.

My throttle clamp mount consists of a piece of aluminum angle iron drilled and bolted with one of the plate's cap screws. It works, but has a little bit of flex in it. They should have used steel or thicker aluminum.

I dont have a picture of of the full mount, but I found one that shows the manifold end.
Attached Images

#5   IP: 159.2.76.44
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 AM

Thank you Edward.

Tom