X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Sudden Solenoid Death and First Hand Crank Experience

Its pretty amazing that in spite of all the things that can go wrong with these engines, there's almost always a way to get them running!

Not an hour after commenting how well the A4 has been running to an old friend, I go to start it and you know what happens next... Karma, Murphy's Law, Tempting Fate, etc.

Ran the engine that morning for 10 minutes and all was normal. That afternoon I thought it was still warmed up so I didn't give it choke or throttle, but it didn't catch on my first two short hits of the start key.

Added choke and bumped the throttle a little bit and then I get zippo from the key. Just the faintest of clicks, and then not even that after another try. Batteries are full. Starter recently rebuilt. Wiring good- getting 12v at IGN and ST wires. Solenoid must be shot.

Really wanted to go sailing and try out a new headsail, so I figured I'd give the hand crank a try. Put it on the pins, gave a half turn and it merrily spins to life.

Well, shucks. I can't be too mad at the old girl!
  • Kelly
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2004

If you want to try repairing your solenoid, take a look at this post. It all depends on how much you want to get grit under your fingernails...

Solenoid repair

Kelly
    Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X