X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dkaseler
    • Oct 2014

C&C 33 rudder post lubrication

On July 13, 2009 Keelcooler posted a response to a tread about lubricating fittings on C&C 33 rudder posts, stating that most lubricating fittings on these boats he has seen were of ferrous metal and badly rusted. I have discovered mine which seems to have been a grease cup type but it is almost completely rusted away. Any ideas about replacement? My boat is afloat. Is this fitting above the water line? How concerned should I be?
    Thanks,
    SLY guy.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I would *strongly* suggest the C&C mailing list for this question. There is a TON of expert advice there. The sign-up is here:
    Our aim is to preserve and enhance the reputation and prestige of C&C Yachts; to provide C&C owners a library of information and to provide a site where C&C owners call home. This site is owned by Stu Murray and is not affiliated with C&C Yachts.

Over on the C&C list we send A4 questions here
    All that said, grease fittings are usually NPT and it may be as simple as unscrew and replace.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Grease cups are fine if you have access to them to give them a turn. The alternate is a zerk fitting that you have to get a grease gun onto. I know zerk fittings are available in many materials - in my working days we installed many Ni-Cu (Monel) zerk fittings on Navy ships. I doubt grease cups are available in non-corrosive materials. In many cases the zerk fitting we installed was remote from the bearing, connected by suitable high pressure tubing (think of bearing for a submarine periscope - zerk fitting inside the people tank). For things such as a rudder tiller pin, the remote tubing would have to be partly flexible to allow the rudder to move without breaking the tubing.
      Last edited by Al Schober; 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Dkaseler
        • Oct 2014

Thanks to you and Joe-DB for your helpful replys.

Comment

Working...
        X