Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 172.58.204.82
Old 10-12-2022, 10:07 AM

New Pearson Owner and New Member

Greetings All!

I come to you as a a new boat owner, a novice mechanic (with a can do attitude!), and a beginning sailor. With the passing of a close friend, I have inherited the sailboat that I got married on. We have shared a lot of great times and adventures on the SV Peace, our friend has been teaching my wife and I how to sail for the past few years. He has always been the one to take care of the boat, he was very intelligent and very mechanically inclined. He put the Atomic 4 motor in about four years ago. It has been running beautifully and has had regular use (have to motor in and out of slip with very strong current).

Peace is a 1966 Pearson Vanguard 33 sloop rigged, beautiful, old boat. She needs a lot of work, but she floats and she sails and her motor is strong. At least for now. Even with being put in under five years ago, overhauling the motor is part of the restoration efforts we are inheriting with the boat. It looks like it wasn't painted because it is covered in rust, especially thick on top of the head which is not good when I want to change the head gasket. I have some mechanical knowledge and a fair amount of practice working on my own cars and I have the confidence in myself to learn, take my time, and do things the right way. A large part of my desire to work over everything by my own hand is to gain the confidence in the function of each working part as I look it over, learn how and why it works, and work on it myself when needed. Then as I learn the condition of each part and take the mystery out of propelling the boat I can feel much safer when relying on the motor for safety and know what to do when something fails.

I have been delving into thorough research already learning about the motor and other moving parts and gosh has Moyer Marine been a good resource! As have these forums and the wealth of shared experience and kindness found herein. The digger I deep, the more I find that I need to do. Some projects do come with a sense of urgency, in order of importance for safety of me and my Family, safety of the boat, and safety of the motor. I'm really looking forward to sharing my experience, learning yours, receiving guidance, and offering what I can when the time comes. Thank you for being part of this community that helps so many and thank you for having me.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Justin Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinAlenScott For This Useful Post:
Surcouf (10-13-2022), W2ET (10-12-2022)
  #2   IP: 24.15.212.82
Old 10-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Afourian MVP

Welcome aboard - I suggest to you what I suggest to many A4 owners... order the A4 service/overhaul manual from Moyer. I recently recommended this to a harbor boat owner who has had a 1964 Islander 32 for over 30yrs who was amazed to find out what he did not know what he did not know - nuisance regarding carb, distributor, reversing gear etc. Good luck and welcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
Easy Rider (10-12-2022), sastanley (10-13-2022), W2ET (10-12-2022)
  #3   IP: 76.176.224.167
Old 10-13-2022, 10:11 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
I'm sorry to welcome you with a lecture but it's my way and offered in your best interests.

Why do an engine overhaul if there's no indication it's needed? You say the engine runs strong without performance issues so why tear it down? To what benefit? If you want to work on the engine to learn it better, change the oil, change the raw water pump impeller, change the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, points and condenser if so equipped, upgrade to electronic ignition (talk to us in detail about that first), upgrade to fresh water cooling if it isn't already, oil the distributor advance flyweights, rebuild the carburetor.

If raw water cooled, do an acid flush followed by a water jacket pressure test, do a compression test. You'll learn tons about your engine and much of the foregoing is either regular maintenance or significant improvements without tearing deep into the air pump portion of the engine.

Doing deep repairs or an overhaul for no reason invites problems that don't exist. If you like tinkering on engines, pick up a spare A4 (many of us have) and tinker with it at home.

If you bought a slightly used car and it ran great would you overhaul the engine? Of course not. And with that, welcome to the forum.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Jim.B.MacK (10-17-2022), Sam (10-13-2022), sastanley (10-20-2022), TimBSmith (10-13-2022), W2ET (10-13-2022)
  #4   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 10-13-2022, 10:41 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I'll expand on this:
Used A4s are available for reasonable prices. Get one that isn't too far gone and knock yourself out rebuilding it in your spare time. When the one in your boat croaks, swap them out.
Maryland USA
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Sam (10-13-2022)
  #5   IP: 172.58.206.161
Old 10-20-2022, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the beginning advice. I do have the Service and Overhaul Manual in my sights. Thank you also for the recommendation of getting another motor to restore while I keep the working one working for now. I have found one thanks to your advice that I can work with. I think it will be a great insurance policy to have while I am fixing some of the problems cropping up with the old (t)rusty one powering Peace now. Your lecturing is welcomed and your extensive list of things to start with is very appreciated. I will be working my way through it, starting either with the carburetor or the oil change for reasons I will mention later. The motor is Fresh Water Cooled already and has what I believe to be the smaller dizzy cap. Will electronic ignition offer greater efficiency or performance or reliability enough to offset the time and effort invested in converting? I'm grateful for your guidance and that of any others that happen along. I'm really looking forward to the free exchange of ideas and like many others I am here in part because some problems do exist. Just pulling the spark plugs presents itself, at least on the surface, as a big project. Then when I do get to the compression test that I fear will tell me to change the head gasket, the studs and bolts holding the head don't look like they will all survive the process. I'll share some pictures of the motor that powers Peace as part of my introduction. You can look forward from another post from me before long about the mistake I made (you might guess) and what has come to manifest itself as a result. This is the beginning of a long journey and with the companionship of another Atomic 4 or two, some extra parts, and a community of Afourians I think we will confidently go where any man has gone before.
  #6   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 10-20-2022, 02:57 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Fixing the A4 when not fixing it doesn't mean not sailing that day will be way more relaxing than any repairs I ever get into, enjoy
Maryland USA
  #7   IP: 70.160.104.65
Old 10-24-2022, 12:46 PM

Welcome Justin! I like where you're coming from. I have become good friends with my A4 and I think you will, too.

Also, for what it's worth, I believe: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And: KISS
Norfolk, VA
The Following User Says Thank You to alcodiesel For This Useful Post:
Easy Rider (10-24-2022)