Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Announcements

#1   IP: 38.118.52.187
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
MMI Webmaster

Way, Way Off-Topic Discussions - An Experiment

Over the past few weeks, TomG and I have swapped a couple of postings (and then a couple of PM’s) on the subject of how the Apple iPad might be used on the water. Obviously, this is pushing the envelope regarding “off-topic” discussion. Nevertheless, it frustrates me a bit at times that we deliberately limit the discussion matter when we have this wonderful collection of forum members whose experience, education, intuition, judgment, etc. challenge and entertain me every day. The intentions are honorable, but I’d like to try something that might interest like-minded individuals, without distracting or flat-out aggravating those members who appreciate the clarity of “mission” in the forum.

Our forum software has the ability to establish what it calls “public groups” – discussion categories which a member may join and view/post if desired, but will otherwise not be visible. I’d like to give it a try, and TomG has agreed to join me in the first iteration – a group dedicated to the iPad discussion we dabbled with earlier.

To join us (or simply to see how the whole thing works), click on the “User CP” option on the main navigation menu. Then select the “Group Memberships” option on the left side, which will display a list of user groups you are free to join. From there, it’s a matter of a couple of clicks.
Joining the “iPad User Group” will make visible a new discussion category, called “iPad Applications on the Water,” which will appear in the Off-Topic group towards the bottom of the page. Join the group and you’ll see this. Choose not to join, and you won’t.

Feedback regarding the idea (not simply this first rather specific iteration) would be appreciated. If you’d like to suggest another subject for a different group, please reply here or drop me a PM. I don’t really have a sense of where we’d draw the line as to what’s ok and what isn’t, beyond the broad requirements of decorum and taste. We’ll take ‘em as they come.

Bill
  #2   IP: 68.126.191.98
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Ah, a place on deck to chew the fat...great idea. Do we have rum?
  #3   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Afourian MVP

I'm in

My wife has an Ipad. much handier than the laptop was. We have not got into the Nav apps yet because I don't get away from the dock much.
This will surely be an A-4 tool soon. If MMI wants to sell videos and manuals online e-book style, then I see a day soon when folks like Dan et.al. (of Marion Claire) will be able to download everything that has be got from the MMI library while underway. Assuming he has a paypal deal

Also I see a day when guys like Hanley will be installing OBDII(diagnastic computers with bluetooth data link to the IPAD so you can get tune data and dyno information. Maybe Neil does this already?

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #4   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs down

Ha ha..nice Russ.

I don't own any Apple products and I don't have iTunes on any of my computers.

When you have a topic that is of interest, I'll subscribe..great idea Bill!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #5   IP: 173.127.210.222
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
...I don't own any Apple products and I don't have iTunes on any of my computers.
Shawn-
Although I'm a mac guy, you'd love what I'm doing this week...
I'm in Seattle doing Microsoft new product roll-outs.
(Xbox, Kinect and Windows Phone)

Lots n lots of Apple and iPhone bashings too!

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #6   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat 64 View Post
Also I see a day when guys like Hanley will be installing OBDII(diagnastic computers with bluetooth data link to the IPAD so you can get tune data and dyno information. Maybe Neil does this already?
Nope, not me. No iPad, no iPhone, no texting, no online banking, no ATM, none of that stuff. I have a basic cell phone. It rings, I answer.

I take advantage of GPS on board, interfaced with my autopilot and radar but that's about it. No laptop on board either. My OBDII is listening to the sound of the engine and feeling the vibration through the seat of my pants. Strictly Olde Skool.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #7   IP: 138.88.81.142
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Afourian MVP

Wink

Jerry, I am not saying Microsoft is the best way to run a PC either. I just don't like Apple's marketing plan & I don't like their products.

And, I like my portable electronic communications device (sorry Neil, I broke down and bought my first smartphone recently) to have a real keyboard! - Not possible with an iPhone.
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
  #8   IP: 72.57.235.146
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Afourian MVP

Shawn-
No big. Heck, variety is the spice of life!
If we all liked and used the same stuff, how grey would life be?!

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #9   IP: 24.196.43.124
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Time for my semi-related 2 cents (for now anyway , until the dollar collapses and we have to use something else...) [ alright alright , I am off topic squared - I admit it ]

Last week I was co-pilot for 3 days on a live cargo mission in a Cessna Caravan. The usual routine is for me to handle the radios and all printed nav material while to PIC (pilot in command) flies the airplane. On this trip the PIC decided to try out his new iPad , using it as a substitute for hard copy nav stuff. All that info was in there alright , a true tech marvel , but what I did NOT like is the way the guy on the iPad became more isolated , less of a team player because of the connection between him and the magic screen. I found it detrimental to communication flow. We were literally less on the same page. I have felt this way about any portable device with a screen ever since the stuff started coming out - bad for face to face interaction. Less shared experience.

I have a battered , well worn Razor phone.

Laker
  #10   IP: 38.118.52.187
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM
MMI Webmaster

Laker:

Your comments were intriguing in a very personal way. My son's girlfriend, a college sophomore, is contemplating writing a book about how Facebook, Twitter, text messaging, etc. have changed the way people relate to one another. She is one bright young lady, and I'm betting she will.

Me? I'm just looking for a reasonably affordable "portable" chartplotter that can do a few other things when I'm away from home.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
Mo (06-03-2021)
  #11   IP: 96.239.111.89
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Why not?

Perfect! I've been thinking a lot about chart plotter vs iPad.

Everyone says that the iPad is suitable only as a secondary nav aide - why?
Is it a valid money saving option?

I've been using my iPhone running Navionics for a year now on the Hudson river and around Long Island sound and south shore, and my only complaint is the small size. --Well, there is also the little problem with zero moisture tolerance-- But a baggie takes care of that - right?

BC
Aboard Grace Darling
Pearson Triton - City Island NY
  #12   IP: 208.114.135.102
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking Progress????

Everything is at our finger tips these days. I am currently in the Canadian North -46C today...C is for Cold. In the middle of nowhere and can communicate on this forum...not bad. 10 years ago it was a nightmare.

My boat has a few electronic gadgets but I have many that make up the package. This stuff was all added a piece at a time when the funds became available.

Garmin Chartplotter...wonderful unit with maps from Florida to Labrador in it.
Back-up GPS is Garmin 60csx...charts loaded in it too. Then my final GPS, for when we go on an island etc is an older garmin e-trex with no charts added but has a screen to see your path etc. Binnacle compass and paper charts as well.

Radar- Raytheon 40XX ...good solid unit, older and I have to run the engine to keep the batteries up when in use....good when I get caught in fog and it has really good range.

Wind speed indicator....a small handheld unit.

Epirb- 121.5...currently being phased out but still used for homing.
Personal Epirb 406 / 121.5 ...relays distress directly to SARSAT. (ACR2797.4)

Basic Marine Radio. Satellite radio for music. 1000W inverter to plug things into.

New for this year...a Blackberry with a great air-time package and can't wait to see how it works out. Can plug into the laptop and send emails, check emails, check facebook, send pics etc. I have tried it here in the North and it works perfect as long as you have cell coverage. Along the coast where I sail there will be few places where I cannot keep in touch.

So, there really are a few items aboard a boat to keep her in communication in one form or another....now a gadget that could do it all...not that far down the road I think!!

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #13   IP: 75.164.156.68
Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM

I believe "Social Networking" term is an oxymoron. Like Military and Intelligence!

Social networking isolates more than connects. We lose valuable face to face social skills while typing behind a keyboard, droid, or blackberry. It's not to say they don't have a place - but "Social Networking" on a computing device? I don't think so!
  #14   IP: 208.114.135.102
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Hi Jeff,

I could not agree more with your point of view...with one minor exception. The technology is nice when you are truly isolated and need to connect. I personally don't talk to answering machines and answer emails at my leisure. No one hounds me for work as I wouldn't have it and I would much prefer to talk to someone directly than text etc.

I completely understand your point of view as my son once send me a text from his room...I was in the living room. There certainly is a limit.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #15   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgerritsen View Post
I believe "Social Networking" term is an oxymoron. Like Military and Intelligence!

Social networking isolates more than connects. We lose valuable face to face social skills while typing behind a keyboard, droid, or blackberry. It's not to say they don't have a place - but "Social Networking" on a computing device? I don't think so!
This forum is social networking.

laker, I agree. The tools should reduce workload, not take your attention from the task at hand. I fly with a friend in a C182 a bit in the summer and I try to help spot traffic. it makes me feel important. But I keep the talk to a minimum. I got to sit in the right seat as passenger in a Caravan once. Fun.

Niel, glad to hear you have some clay on your boots. I do get seduced by these gadgets a bit. I am going to try Hanley's O2 sensor idea though. I have a two wire unit that I keep in the tool box for tuning old 70s bosch fuel injections. Haven't seen much use of it for a while.

Russ

Last edited by lat 64; 03-01-2011 at 01:06 PM.
  #16   IP: 75.164.156.68
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Lat 64 (Russ),
I agree this forum is social networking and some social networking has it's place in appropriate communication instances. This forum is actually a great example of appropriate use of social networking. I guess I need to clarify myself here. When social networking is used to replace face to face communications, such as Maurice example of his son "texting" him from another room within the same house, is social networking gone way wrong!
  #17   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Lat 64 (Russ),
I agree this forum is social networking and some social networking has it's place in appropriate communication instances. This forum is actually a great example of appropriate use of social networking. I guess I need to clarify myself here. When social networking is used to replace face to face communications, such as Maurice example of his son "texting" him from another room within the same house, is social networking gone way wrong!
Yep, Totally agree with you.
It's like most of life I guess; Everything in moderation, including moderation.

U R so ryt,
Russ

#18   IP: 68.126.191.98
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Lat 64 (Russ),
I'm a writer, and have been on many forums. The members on this forum are who they are...one hell of a great bunch of guys.
  #19   IP: 72.28.255.171
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Fascinating discussion and insight into the mind of our "homogeneous" little group of Atomic 4 appreciators!

I truly understand the seismic shift in interpersonal relations as it relates to electronic media that our society has witnessed over the last several years. For example, I work as a pilot for a big airline where bags fly free. Years ago, when we would arrive at our layover hotel, the crews would enjoy a vibrant and often ribald conversation on the 15-minute shuttle bus ride to the hotel. Now, everyone is t w e e t i n g, facebooking, emailing, googling, or listening to music in their own personal cocoon. It's a shame and I miss the old days. I have also realized that resistance is futile... the Borg WILL assimilate you. Those of you fighting the good fight, I applaud you. I however, have leaped headlong into the dark side and embraced some of this new technology. While I do think this technology has changed our lives forever, I see it as a pendulum swing that is slowly working its way back to center. I don't think it's all bad. We shall see.

We can have philosophical discussions about being "purists" and "kicking it old school," but we really should be careful when most of us are sailing boats made of glass reinforced plastic, equipped with low-stretch dacron running rigging, and most obviously - the internal combustion engine - our very reason for being on this "social networking" site to begin with. If we really want to resist the inevitable change, shouldn't we be discussing the proper lashing of reeds or where sea serpents live via papyrus or cuneiform?

The truth is, new technology can be wonderful asset - another tool in the proverbial toolbox or another trick up the sleeve. It can be something that makes you a better sailor, just like tape drive sails, AIS, and GPS. There is never a good alternate for experience or knowledge and if one tries to substitute an advance in technology without a firm understanding of the basics, the results are guaranteed to be fascinating if not spectacular.

I also get the dislike of Apple's "walled garden mentality" approach to their product. I guess the same could be said for Garmin or Raymarine or Harken or even Universal Motors, Inc. I work with guys who are adamantly opposed to any Apple product. I appreciate that... it isn't for everybody. The iPad is, however, an unequaled success and breakthrough in connectivity and information management. I think programs like Navionics and MotionX-GPS are just the tip of the iceberg. I can, with a single tap, find the tide, current, sunset, buoy data, star constellations, and live wether radar. Now I also know how to read tide table books, ded reckon, find Ursa Major and Polaris by observation, and read my barometer, and I teach my kids these essential lessons as well. Then we do all that on an iPad!

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to sell anyone an iPad or try to tempt someone away from the traditions and lore of the sea. I love my boat because it connects me to days long ago... before droids and microsoft and Big Macs and airplanes. And although I cherish the feeling of "self-reliance" that I get from my boat, I also have a policy with TowBoatUS. Why? It makes life better. At least for me.
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  #20   IP: 142.68.251.161
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
what I did NOT like is the way the guy on the iPad became more isolated , less of a team player because of the connection between him and the magic screen.
So, it's not just an experience for parents and teenagers then, eh? Once driving one to school I reeled off a whole bunch of information pertinent to their future lives. I looked over to see a teen holding an iPod ear bud and saying "were you talking to me"? That aside, I've been waiting for iPad2 since iPad1 came out.
  #21   IP: 38.103.140.5
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigspelt View Post
...That aside, I've been waiting for iPad2 since iPad1 came out.
Wait no more...
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #22   IP: 68.126.191.98
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM

The new stuff is great, and yes, it’s makes life simple…unless the sun flares up, satellites fall from the sky, bang into each other, or a government turns things off. Pirates can track a cell phone just like the police. I’ll stay with the sexton, latitude stick, and good seamanship. As to the stoutness of fiberglass boats…my Columbia 28 has a 1.5 thick hull…they call it the tank. And yes, it has an A4,which gives a fellow something to do. (All the time.)

Domenic
  #23   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Afourian MVP

I just checked it out. Oooh, must have, must have
With a few apps you have a complete backup nav station.
And.
Drumrollllllllllll..

A dock connector! It must be for boats!

Heck, since I never go anywhere, This sounds like the deal for me.
Stay in the harbor, drink beer, watch a few shows, take nap while i-pad recharges on solar panel.

ZZZZzzzzz.....

#24   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
iPad2

How much??
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #25   IP: 138.88.81.142
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs down

Neil, It will likely cost $100 more than the iPad1, and other than squishing the same capabilities into a slightly thinner package, they added a camera on it so you can see the screen while video chatting with your friends...other than that, it is an iPad1 as far as I know. but, apparently it is new & improved!

Last edited by sastanley; 03-02-2011 at 09:12 PM.