Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Polls

View Poll Results: What is the steady state temperature of your engine?
120 degrees or below 20 9.22%
130 degrees 12 5.53%
140 degrees 39 17.97%
150 degrees 17 7.83%
160 degrees 59 27.19%
170 degrees 29 13.36%
180 degrees or higher 41 18.89%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

#51   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Afourian MVP

That hot tank info is nice to know for sure. I still do an acid flush every two years and I think it does wonders to reduce buildup internally. Nice clean ports help for cooling. I have the side bulkheads on, however, I cut and made them hatches for engine access so it take a minute to remove.

I hardly have to touch my engine...seem to have my head in over someone else's all the time. Yesterday helped a friend with his oil pressure adjustment...fixed that and went to check my own. It was corroded so I cleaned up the threads. Other than checking oil, changing oil and turning the grease cap on the water pump, that's the first thing I did with the engine this summer.

Keeping them cool is the trick. Enjoy your boat and your summer

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #52   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Lightbulb New way maybe

Kiethems and Mo, I have just made a few modifications to my t'statless A-4 that have worked quite well for better temp regulation via the bypass. It works far better, runs warmer, less temp rise after shutting down and I've now run like this for around 18 hours over 3 trips to the island. I will be posting my set up soon on a separate thread and don't want to hi-jack this one further.
If either of you are interested try a PM and I'll elaborate a bit. Should have the instalation tidied up for a pic and post in a few days.

Dave Neptune
  #53   IP: 76.28.45.109
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Why is there a different "preferred" operating temp for fw and rw cooled engines? The engine shouldn't care! My raw water is around 50 degrees f. I have a fw cooled engine. I am thinking someone in VA is cooling their fw cooled engine's coolant with rw closer to 80 degrees f. It is going to make a difference for fw cooled engine operating temps in both locations. No?
  #54   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
For RWC engines, beyond about 160°F salt begins to leach out of solution clogging the cooling passages. I've seen manufactured RWC mixing elbows (exhaust) completely closed off with salt. The engine prefers a higher operating temperature like 180 - 190° but in the case of RWC the cooling medium can't tolerate it.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #55   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Afourian MVP

gfatula,
I am in the Chesapeake and the tributaires of the Bay normally get into the high 80's..the highest I remember seeing this year on my ST40 depth/speed/temp instrument was 88.9°F at about 18 inches down.

I think there is no simple answer to your questions. I can explain my personal scenario...

RWC - clean waterjacket I was running about 150°F at idle & 160°F the rest of the time...
As the deposits in the water jacket increased, I was seeing 170°F or so, and more fluctuation in the readings (t-stat more active)..
In the winter, I was not usually able to get it that hot...
When I first had the boat (December 2008 haulout, estimate water temp around 45-50°F) I could not get it over 120°F. But the engine was also very anemic and not producing a whole lot of power either.

Fast forward to FWC - I am using the Johnson CM-30 electric pump for the antifreeze..so, it pumps at the same speed no matter the engine RPM. I've also noticed now that the raw water pump has less restriction and is only going thru the heat exchanger (i.e. no t-stat/block/manifold), even at low RPMs I have a LOT more raw water coming thru the exhaust. The limitation of the raw water pump and the restrictions it was seeing with RWC I think is no longer the engine, but I think finally the 3/8" NPT inlet & outlet on top of the water pump itself. Everything is 5/8" hose and cast fittings & pipe nipples...no machined (restrictive) 90° fittings & no hose barbs anywhere.

idle-1,000 RPM 140-145°F
1,500 RPM 155°F
2,000 RPM+ 180°F w/ sea water temps below 80°F
2,000 RPM+ 190-195°F w/ sea water temps above 80°F
I also have a small-ish two-pass 2" diameter HX (Sendure 2AT-15 to be exact). I'd like a 3" multi-pass HX for the summer time when the Bay is close to 90°F and my engine temps are pushing close to 200°F...I think I am on the ragged edge of HX capacity at 2,000 RPM. - If I throttle back, the nice thing is the electric pump still moves the antifreeze at high capacity & my engine temps drop back to about 180°F pretty quick.

I am also still running the single action t-stat in my engine..I also noticed that the 'bypass valve' gives me a few degrees colder on the gauge with FWC, but not the dramatic difference of 5-10° it made with RWC, between open & closed. T-stat will probably come out this winter, and we'll see if that helps with my 195°F readings in the middle of summer.

So, since I have a small HX, I think that maximizing flow thru the HX on the raw water side and having constant flow on the fresh water side is the ticket for me..I need to get my IR thermometer back from my neighbor, because I'd like to measure the temps of the two sides at various places within the system for even more data points and quantify some theories. There has also been discussion around here that things flowing too quickly in the HX can make it run hotter because there is not enough time for heat transfer (& things like a three or four pass HX will transfer heat better than a one or two pass, which I think Neil has been able to prove sufficiently already with his HX tests). Anyway, the IR thermometer will help me with that.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 10-02-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: I can't stop babbling & I spelled gaftula wrong!!!
  #56   IP: 76.28.45.109
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks guys,

It was this forum that convinced me to add fw cooling to my purchase of an exchange rebuilt from Don. Glad I did. I would be adding it now if I hadn't then.

Thanks again and again. Ha! Good stuff! All of it!

G
  #57   IP: 128.220.29.225
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Carefully adjusted to 180deg, with the Indigo Freshwater cooling thermostat (or whatever the thing is called). Stable like a rock.
  #58   IP: 71.54.207.52
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Since acid-flushing the block and adding a hot water heater into the FWC loop, mine has been rock steady at 150F. Raw water temperatures have been around 65 - 70F. Stock thermostat, small sendure hx.
  #59   IP: 154.20.234.21
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigspelt View Post
Still getting used to this FWC A4. Yesterday noticed while at cruising speed for first time that temp was 175 but dropped to 165 when I sent crew forward to bring exhaust outlet up clear of the water surface. It is well clear at lower speeds and sailing. Boat squats and acquires a stern wave when running at full cruising speed, so need to shift weight forward or drop RPMs a bit. Example of backpressure, maybe? Lowering RPM does not sacrifice too much speed.

Turns out lower stern is typical for C&C 27 fitted with wheel pedestal and A4. Helps to switch from the Mark I/II scimitar rudder to the lighter/longer Mark III rudder, and maybe from wheel to tiller. Hmm.
My 79 C&C27 MkIII with wheel steering (and of course MkIII rudder) squats. Project in the works to move the batteries forward to under the aft dinette seat should shift a bit of weight forward. I assume your water tank is in the forepeak? I try to keep mine topped up even if we are just daysailing.

My rebuilt FWC A4 (years ago) runs at 140 to 150 ... I don't think I have the correct thermostat in it ... it was the one running in the engine when it was RWC. After determining that the themostat that was initially put in during the rebuild wasn't opening (I was pushing 200) the only one we had available was the old one.
  #60   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Isle View Post
My 79 C&C27 MkIII with wheel steering (and of course MkIII rudder) squats. Project in the works to move the batteries forward to under the aft dinette seat should shift a bit of weight forward. I assume your water tank is in the forepeak? I try to keep mine topped up even if we are just daysailing.

My rebuilt FWC A4 (years ago) runs at 140 to 150 ... I don't think I have the correct thermostat in it ... it was the one running in the engine when it was RWC. After determining that the themostat that was initially put in during the rebuild wasn't opening (I was pushing 200) the only one we had available was the old one.
Running 140-150 .... that's not bad. I wouldn't be sweating that.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

#61   IP: 71.59.69.172
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 PM

I now need to amend my temp vote. A little.I voted 160
. Today, after deciding I had worked on the New bimini dodger long enough, I decided to give her some exercise and burn off some of the small that will burn off the new exhaust tape.
Newly installed Dec with Johnson cm30 pump on the coolant side and the 501 pumping raw water through the HX. No thermostat.
After letting her warm a bit I put her in forward, let the floating dock chains come tight and the fender to find their happy place, then brought her to half throttle. It took about 10 minutes and she combed to 170. Sensing she wanted more I brought her to 3/4 throttle. (Tide was going out and its a good way to keep the hole under my boat deep)
After a few minutes the temp climbed to just under 180 and held there. I let her like that for about 5 minutes before backing down to idle. The temp came back down as well.
After shutting her off I turned the key back on to cause the coolant pump is to run and as mentioned by others the temp was now about 20 degrees below where it was reading just the moment before. Don't know what's up with that but it all looks good from here.
  #62   IP: 72.194.220.169
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
After shutting her off I turned the key back on to cause the coolant pump is to run and as mentioned by others the temp was now about 20 degrees below where it was reading just the moment before. Don't know what's up with that but it all looks good from here.
Possible sticky gauge. Next time this happens try tapping gently on the gauge with a screwdriver handle.

TRUE GRIT
  #63   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
. Today, after deciding I had worked on the New bimini dodger long enough, I decided to give her some exercise and burn off some of the small that will burn off the new exhaust tape.
Newly installed Dec with Johnson cm30 pump on the coolant side and the 501 pumping raw water through the HX. No thermostat.
After letting her warm a bit I put her in forward, let the floating dock chains come tight and the fender to find their happy place, then brought her to half throttle. It took about 10 minutes and she combed to 170. Sensing she wanted more I brought her to 3/4 throttle. (Tide was going out and its a good way to keep the hole under my boat deep)
After a few minutes the temp climbed to just under 180 and held there. I let her like that for about 5 minutes before backing down to idle. The temp came back down as well.
Sounds about what to expect. I find my own boat, RWC and no T-stat, will hang around 140 cruising at 5-6 kts in relatively calm sea.
With FWC the engine will only cool as much as the capacity of the heat exchanger's abilitiy to transfer heat. Of course, there are a few factors involved there: RW flow volume, size of heat exchanger, temp of RW, integrity of system and FW pump flow rates....I think you are running pretty good as described

PS my earlier post on this thread says my temp doesn't go over 130...the guage doesn't. I bought one of those infra red thermometers and now check my temps with it...much more accurate...she's 142 degrees just moving in good weather and maybe a few degrees above that when slugging it out in bad weather...not bad.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 03-29-2015 at 03:49 AM.
  #64   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Some temp senders operate on voltage differential and the fact that you shut down and continued running a pump could influence voltage being delivered to the temp gauge. Neil may know more about this.
  #65   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 03-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Except for the bourdon tube type, all temp gauges operate on voltage variation. Although I've never tested, it's logical to me that there would be a difference in temp gauge readings at the same temperature when the engine is running with the alternator driving the system voltage and when it is not.

Of much greater concern is running the electric coolant pump by turning the keyswitch to ign and the engine not running. The risk to the coil far outweighs any cooling benefit. Plus, without raw water running through the HX I doubt there's much cooling benefit anyway.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #66   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

A good argument could be made for having two temperature gauges since the coolant temperature is going to vary widely at different points in the loop. I also believe calibration varies even on the best quality gauges. Presently I am sensing for the electric gauge at a point nearest the UHS where I believe the highest reading can be had; but who knows what the temperature at the coolant pump might be after it (the coolant) has passed thru the exchanger(s)?
  #67   IP: 70.162.97.128
Old 03-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Afourian MVP

re: an forum exchange from 2011. Thought I should update what I found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellerj View Post
I bought my 1982 Catalina 30 in 2000 from a guy that had it 12 years, and he said that it always ran at 210 with no issues. I've owned it for 11 years, checked the thermostat a number of times, acid flushed, put a larger shoe in the water pump, made sure there is plenty of flow out the back , and it still runs at 210. I put in a manual analog gauge and that read 210, so my gauge is working properly.

I have recently purchased an infrared thermometer and the top of the cylinder head reads from 150 to 180 - only very close to the spark plug will I see a reading of 210.

My question is - could the temp gauge be picking up a stream of hot water (sort of like a warm current) from the head so that the gauge does not measure the average block temperature?

Best,
Jim
and a reply from Neil:
Quote:
I have a few questions Jim,
Checked the thermostat? How, stove top test? At what temp did it open?
What condition is the inside of the thermostat housing, clean and sharp edges on the inside of the dome or corroded, eroded and rounded over?
Raw water or fresh water cooled?
Moyer bypass valve or not? If so, closed or not?
Have you removed the side cover plate to physically look (and muck out) the water jacket and examine or replace the diverter cap?...
Update: While replacing my alternator I could not help but take off my water diverter plate because it was so exposed. I found a bunch of old black organic matter that had plugged up a lot of water passageways going to the head. I cleaned these out the best I could using a dental pick, re-installed the plate, new alternator, and then cleaned out the water exit fitting of the manifold. Was very glad to see the temperature settle in at 145-150 F. Water flow was not noticeably different. I sail in a fresh water lake (Lake Erie) and am raw water cooled.

My conclusion: if your temp gauge reads hot, shoot the head with a infrared thermometer to see what the temp of the head really is before you panic and get a tow etc. My A4 was at 210 F at the gauge for at least 12 years with no damage, because the head was not at that temperature. If the head is at a reasonable temp with the infrared gauge, then you can fix the problem at your leisure.

Best,
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to zellerj For This Useful Post:
Ando (07-07-2020)
  #68   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellerj View Post
re: an forum exchange from 2011. Thought I should update what I found out.

and a reply from Neil:

Update: While replacing my alternator I could not help but take off my water diverter plate because it was so exposed. I found a bunch of old black organic matter that had plugged up a lot of water passageways going to the head. I cleaned these out the best I could using a dental pick, re-installed the plate, new alternator, and then cleaned out the water exit fitting of the manifold. Was very glad to see the temperature settle in at 145-150 F. Water flow was not noticeably different. I sail in a fresh water lake (Lake Erie) and am raw water cooled.

My conclusion: if your temp gauge reads hot, shoot the head with a infrared thermometer to see what the temp of the head really is before you panic and get a tow etc. My A4 was at 210 F at the gauge for at least 12 years with no damage, because the head was not at that temperature. If the head is at a reasonable temp with the infrared gauge, then you can fix the problem at your leisure.

Best,
Jim
This story is a good illustration of how tolerant the Atomic 4 can be. For 12 years your block was being cooled unevenly and for all practical purposes you did not know whether you were overheating or not. At the least you block was subjected to uneven cooling, but favoring the area near the cylinders where it really counts. The black goo and attendant plugging of passageways is evidence that Lake Erie is not as "fresh" as was thought.
  #69   IP: 154.20.234.21
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Running 140-150 .... that's not bad. I wouldn't be sweating that.
I must admit I'm a little gun-shy on temperature.

Two years ago, I had the engine rebuilt .... well I always say 'rebuilt' but in reality it was 'replaced' as the shop that did the work started with a used FWC block they had. They felt it was easier to use that block than the RWC one I had .... but I also acquired (for the cost of a bottle of scotch and a bottle of gin) a complete 2nd engine (disassembled) that had a heat exchanger with it. They didn't use that block due to some known issues with it, but it, and my old engine, supplied a lot of parts, not the least of which was a replacement head for mine, which was cracked.

The process kinda went this way:

1) I asked the guy doing the work (40+ years experience and a former Universal factory rep) a number of times if they were going to send out the heat exchanger to be boiled and pressure tested. Answer was 'yeah, we still have to do that'.
2) The weekend before putting it back in I am handed the old HX and 'told' to take it home and soak it in CLR .... and clean up the exterior (it's about at this time I discover that their sandblaster has been broken during the rebuild and they've spent countless hours wire-wheeling parts to clean them up.
3) Like the idiot I am, I spend a significant amount of time over the weekend soaking, scraping, sanding, etc. inside and out. It looks pretty darn good!
4) Monday AM I bring it back and am told ... oh, the connections are the wrong size ... we can't use this. Huh? Ahh ... it came off an A4??
5) So they say ... well we have another one here (pulls off shelf) and it's been boiled and pressure-tested so we'll just swap it. Seems to be a ok solution in my mind.
6) Everything installed and (supposedly) tested. I'm told 'ready to go!'. Down with the family that evening to motor back to our berth (about 30 minutes away).
7) Running fine, but a bit hot in my mind ... close to 200. But I've got about 24-hours motoring time experience with the boat and that was the old RWC engine (complete with near fire on board ... but that's another story!).
8) 20 minutes into it, into the channel to our berth and it's ebb tide so straight into the current ... have to throttle-up a bit. I get distracted for a couple minutes monitoring engine when ...
9) my wife calls from up forward 'what's all that white smoke!!!?' OMG!! No water out the exhaust! Temp is pegged at 250! Oil pressure is zero! My hand reaches for the ignition switch and at the same time a huge 'SCREETCH!!' followed by a loud 'BANG!' and a high-pitched 'PHHHHHT!' sound
10) and we went round in circles in no wind until a buddy comes by in his zodiac to tow us in.

So who can guess what happened??
  #70   IP: 96.50.51.15
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Afourian MVP

Red face

Three possible answers:

1. The "expert mechanic's" credentials are questionable.
2. HX faulty or wrongly connected.
3. You never took your wife out again for yelling at you.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Chuck
  #71   IP: 154.20.234.21
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 AM

Close! I'll do this in reverse order:

3. I am amazed my wife has gone out with me again! This was her 1st time on the boat!

2. Now the HX was initially installed incorrectly ... but I quickly brought-up the fact that anti-freeze was pumping out the exhaust during the first start-up! That was resolved in short order.

1. You be the judge (I've been writing this since my previous post, case you were wondering):

1) The 'SCREETCH' was the raw water pump impellor running dry.
2) The 'BANG' was the hose from the HX to the overflow bottle blowing out (not off ... the hose actually failed).
3) The 'PHHHHT' was a mix of anti-freeze and raw water escaping from said hole in the hose.
4) So during the rebuild, I picked up a generic plastic overflow bottle from the local autoparts store. That specific type has a connection on the bottom but the hole is plugged ... it can also be used as a windshield washer bottle. Written instructions provided. ... they didn't drill the hole out!
5) But the HX also failed. I'm not sure if it was due to overpressure in the system, botched pressure-test, or perhaps I got a blockage ... or a combo.
6) So the whole thing overheated, and not being able to expand out into the tank, the hose blew-out.

The fix, and further discoveries:

1) The shop replaced the impellor on the raw water pump. The raw water impellor is intact, but completely separated from the shaft. I question the fresh water (old raw water) impellor ... I pull it ... well it's obvious to me that they didn't open the pump during the rebuild, but it seems fine. Replace it anyway.
2) Engine forward and reverse flushed multiple times (by me).
3) HX sent out, repaired, pressure tested and re-installed, with a new overflow bottle (complete with drilled hole), by the shop.
4) Tested at the dock ... still running at 200. I question this (and do a fair bit of reading here on this site!)
5) I borrow a kit and pressure test the HX and the cap ... they are fine.
6) I come-up with the idea that the thermostat should be checked. (remember this is a 'new' head). I pull the thermostat ... a Holley (if I remember correctly) and obvious it wasn't cleaned up during the rebuild. Neither was the thermostat housing! I soak thermostat in cleaning vinegar, clean up the housing and the shop does a stove-top test. The thermostat is barely opening!
7) I check thermostat prices ... and when I stop hyper-ventilating, I grab the thermostat from my old RWC block. Into the vinegar and I do a stovetop test myself. This one is fine.
8) Pop it in ... hmm ... 180 to 190 at dockside.
9) I borrow an infra-red thermometer from the shop ... head temps seem fine.
10) The guy at the shop imparts the pearl that when they put the engine back in, the temperature gauge didn't work. He replaced the sensor. Was it matched to the gauge, I ask? 'Oh, those things are universal!', he says. I investigate ... the sender he pulled off their shelf is an oddball unit that barely shows-up any info online ... I phone the company and am told it's a dual-station model ... hmmm! I am told by the guy in the shop that he couldn't get the exact match .... but this one should be fine. Can't get one?? For a Faria temp gauge?? I drive 2 miles to the local NAPA and ... they've got the exact correct sender in stock ... huh!
11) New sender installed. Temp now reads 140 to 150!
12) I install a low oil pressure and high-temperature alarm.
13) Dockside run-up, with the shop. The guy manages to get the orange alternator wire caught in the fan. He, who did the wiring hook-ups, says 'You should clean-up that wiring!'
14) Shake-down cruise, with the guys from the shop. The trans is slipping in forward. They adjust it (perhaps another contributing factor?)
15) 2-hour shake-down cruise, with the guys from the shop. All seems good (except he doesn't have the idle set quite right and stalls it coming back alongside ... big gouge in the port bow!).
16) Use the boat for a couple weeks ... and note there is an oil leak somewhere at the rear of the engine, maybe on the tranny ... I track it down to a missing bolt! Shop puts a new one in.
17) I discover a couple of the hoses are weeping ... sloppy work on the connections.
18) The guy who did the engine rebuild is banned by me from doing any further work on the boat. And interestingly, he no longer works there.

Last edited by Van_Isle; 04-03-2015 at 01:27 AM.
  #72   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Afourian MVP

There are few things as disheartening as engine issues occurring following major work. I rebuilt an engine in my Toyota pickup, in the evenings, as I was going through medical training in the military. Between learning how to rebuild an engine and the intense study from the medical side of things...there was no time for anything else.

4 days prior to graduation the truck was done and I fired it up. Fired up perfect then blue smoke started to pile out the exhaust pipe....I was heart broken and the temper flared. Picked up a piece of pipe and was going to pound the ---- out of the truck. There were a couple of other guys in the hobby shop and one stopped me and said "hold up there young dude"... he remembered when I drove it in there she was pouring thick smoke out the exhaust and when the engine was broken down the rings of number 4 piston were in the base pan....

The smoke stopped after about 5 to 10 minutes....it was literally oil burning off the inside of the exhaust that had been forced in by compression when the engine went. I almost needed a body job after that because I so friggin mad....anyway....I'll never forget that feeling after all that work, sacrifice of time and sleep....BTW, the engine ran perfect for years later and never used a drop of oil between changes.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 04-02-2015 at 06:11 AM.
  #73   IP: 96.253.21.28
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I hope you now see that you are the best "expert" on your installation. This is almost always true due to the esoteric nature of our A4 installations. In the future come here first where your true A4 family exists. FWIW. Post pictures.
  #74   IP: 174.62.214.116
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 PM

ouch

Van - that is quite the aggravating ordeal.

i too am very sensitive about temps. Maiden voyage after taking ownership, I melted a plastic water lift muffler. Yes, sir. Plastic! Horrible design but alerted me to an overheating issue .... I chased down the repair on that for the remainder of that season and the next as the overheating damaged the head gasket etc. And i was doing my own work, occasionally making things worse before better. But I eventually learned some things about my engine and subsequently my boat. I think I have it sorted out now and so very exciting for the upcoming season!

Back to the thread topic - temperature. I have RWC on a somewhat cold lake, Lake Champlain is not Lake Superior cold but still rather cold for much of the sailing season. Once again, this year we could still have some ice in the mooring field when it opens on May 1st.

I have limited boat bucks in this year's budget, so is there any general consensus as to what should be my top priority:

1. Control temp by adding FWC

or

2. Monitor temp and other key performance parameters by adding the EWDS.

I am not exactly confident in my ability to install either so I am currently not factoring that into my decision.

Thanks,
Brian
  #75   IP: 154.20.234.21
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
I hope you now see that you are the best "expert" on your installation. This is almost always true due to the esoteric nature of our A4 installations. In the future come here first where your true A4 family exists. FWIW. Post pictures.
I'm gaining more and more knowledge and 'level of comfort' on the engine as I go along.

Pics are here: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7615