Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Columbia

#1   IP: 72.244.101.218
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 PM

Columbia and A4

I beileve it would be very valuable to those of us who repowered our Columbias, moving from Palmers to A4s. Mine went well (couple of years ago); but I'd always like to hear tips from others on doing it better. Especially those on V drive. It used to make for some interesting times trying to locate components whose location in manuals assumed direct dirve!
  #2   IP: 76.104.85.144
Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Repowered in summer 2006

I repowered my Columbia 8.3 this last summer. I did not want to go through the hassle of buying a used replacement diesel motor that may breakdown sometime later. I believed that this would be a learning experience for me and I would be confident in the quality of my work. It was also cheaper, as well.

I rebuilt an A-4 at my uncle' garage and replaced the old A-4 while the boat was in the slip. I used a come-along wrapped around the boom to hoist the old engine out and placed it on a hand cart on the dock. I then installed the freshly rebuilt A-4 in the reverse manner. Moyer has been most helpful with parts and the manual was of great use when I was rebuilding the A-4.

I had taken photos of the rebuild/install process from start to finish. I am glad that I went through it.

C.W.