Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Tartan

#1   IP: 67.161.75.98
Old 10-13-2006, 11:14 PM

Tartans

I have a 1972 T30, hull no. 127 with the original A4 with low hours (boat sat for 8 years while owner's estate was settled). This raw water cooled engine has new carb, 55 A alternator, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, Indigo prop, Racor filter, polishing filter plus a flushing tee which I use to flush out the salt water after each use. Most parts from Moyer, no hassle. Runs super, starts quickly (thanks mostly to the electronic ignition).

Last edited by Administrator; 10-14-2006 at 07:01 AM.
  #2   IP: 68.56.123.135
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Afourian MVP

eletronic ignition

Hi
I have a T-34 1974 stock except for fresh water cooling and a 100 amp alternator. I am curious why you credit the electronic ignition with quick starts?
My engine has always started right up. Except a couple of times when there was a problem that needed attention.
  #3   IP: 76.126.149.144
Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 AM

tartans

Before the installation of the electronic ignition, it would take three or four bursts of the starter, each lasting about 10 seconds, before the A4 would start. I changed points and plugs, checked for choke closure, etc, all not much help.

It was especially hard to start after sitting for a few weeks. I added a switch to short out the oil pressure safety switch which is in series with the electric fuel pump, so that I could run the fuel pump for about 10 seconds if the engine did sit idle for a few weeks. That did seem to help the hard starting after sitting idle for some time.

After installation of the electronic ignition, A4 started on first try and has been doing so consistently. To be fair, I did not change the coil before installing the electronic ignition but did change it after the installation because I was concerned about the higher secondary voltage, so the coil may have been the problem all along. But not having to change points every year was a big plus and electronic ignition is really the way to go.

I love this A4 but do believe in upgrading it with new technology wherever possible.
  #4   IP: 76.24.210.15
Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Don says . . .

If you haven't seen Don's video on the electrical system, it's worth far more than the $30. He explains the route and the jolt that goes into ignition and why the "hotter coil" and electronic ignition make a big difference.
  #5   IP: 64.231.104.181
Old 05-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansailboat View Post
Before the installation of the electronic ignition, it would take three or four bursts of the starter, each lasting about 10 seconds, before the A4 would start. I changed points and plugs, checked for choke closure, etc, all not much help.

It was especially hard to start after sitting for a few weeks. I added a switch to short out the oil pressure safety switch which is in series with the electric fuel pump, so that I could run the fuel pump for about 10 seconds if the engine did sit idle for a few weeks. That did seem to help the hard starting after sitting idle for some time.

After installation of the electronic ignition, A4 started on first try and has been doing so consistently. To be fair, I did not change the coil before installing the electronic ignition but did change it after the installation because I was concerned about the higher secondary voltage, so the coil may have been the problem all along. But not having to change points every year was a big plus and electronic ignition is really the way to go.

I love this A4 but do believe in upgrading it with new technology wherever possible.
It sure would have been the problem if it did not have the required 3 - 4 ohms resistance as I found out the hard way last season. I installed the new e-ignition thinking my original coil was the correct resistance only to find that it was not.

Cost me a new electronic ignition module and 2 weeks at the dock!
  #6   IP: 75.194.145.143
Old 05-23-2010, 12:45 AM

Tartan 27 Hull ID 69

Original A$ still running strong. SInce this is a new to me boat I do nto have a lot of history. I did replace the alternator and coil this year. She has a bypass system installed, no thermostat, but the rest is all stock (I think) down the the Sherwood water pump, mechanical fuel pump, factory hand pump for oil changes and distributor with the points. She runs great. A littel steam but she raely get over a 160 degree so I taking her as she is.

Tim
  #7   IP: 69.237.151.130
Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Afourian MVP

pump search

Tim,
I have never seen one of the factory oil change pumps. If you or someone who has one of the original A4 units could post a picture it would really help in my search for this "historical" part.
Tom
  #8   IP: 76.7.125.222
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Afourian MVP

Thatch: The sump pump I have on the MC, 1965 A-4, is like this http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/ca...ors=&comment1=. Parts 1 thru 15. Not the hand unit # 18. I think they are two different pumps. Mine is mounted on the oil pan between my elec fuel pump and the carb. I can get you a pic but it will be a week or two. Is that the one you are looking for? Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #9   IP: 71.129.233.71
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Afourian MVP

Neat history lesson!

M.C.
Thank's very much for the oil pump info. No need to send a picture now that I know what I'm looking for. A friend had given me a brass pump which looks a lot like diagram #18 which is probably the portable version of your factory permanent mount unit, #s 1-15. If you use your pump for oil changes, roughly how long does it take to empty your pan.
Tom
  #10   IP: 76.7.125.222
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Afourian MVP

I do use the pump for oil changes. I would guess 1.5 to 2 minutes total pumping time to remove 3 to 3.5 qts from the pan. I feel as if it has lost some of its uumph over the last few years. I have a short piece of hose with a cap on the end running forward to make filling the empties easier and neater. The unit is removable. Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #11   IP: 71.129.174.114
Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Afourian MVP

"Gunna' give it a try"

M.C.
Since I have a fairly short fixit list scheduled on the boat for tomorrow, I think I'll try that pump that I have. I'll measure the dip stick, warm up the A4 and see how much oil I can suck out. I'll report back.
Tom