Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 65.175.143.242
Old 08-02-2022, 11:48 AM

Ran engine with raw water intake closed

My first post on this forum is an admission of an embarrassing mistake. I was trouble shooting a fuel line issue and closed the raw water intake as I was doing this. I got the engine running again and got distracted but only ran it for a couple minutes before shutting it down. The next day I started the engine up with a feeling like I was forgetting something but couldn't remember what.

5-10 minutes later I realized what I had done when it sounded alittle odd, I checked the thermostat (maxed out) and the engine was billowing some type of combination of smoke / steam. I shut it down, opened the raw water intake paused for a few minutes and then thought maybe it would be good to run the engine with the intake open to maybe more effectively cool it. I did that for a few minutes, but unsure of what might have been damaged decided to just leave the engine compartment open and wait.

Hours later I started it up and it seemed to run fine, but quickly started to overheat and I shut it down.

I am hoping that someone here may be able to offer some insight into what are the most likely things I damaged and where to start my damage control process. Thank you!

Henry