X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lubrdink
    • Apr 2021

Indigo Electronic Ignition

I put the kit in several years ago and it’s worked flawlessly. However today while on the hard and working on the fuel pump (another thread) I went to start it and no spark. We had pulled the coil wire to make sure it wouldn’t start while checking the fuel pump drive shaft.
    Checked all the connections and found spark to the distributor but nothing at the plugs. After poking around and a little tap on the EI module, it came back to life.
    Anyone have this happen? It’s working fine but a little nervous it will do it again at a less convenient time.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lubrdink
    1970 Newport 27
    Original A4
    S/V Glenn E honoring SSGT Glenn English, Jr
    Posthumous Medal of Honor 9/7/70
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

Lubr,

If you were getting spark “to the distributor” then the EI module was working at that point.

You had an issue getting the spark through the rotor to the plugs. I suspect that removing and replacing the cap was what fixed things, not the “tap” on the EI module.

Perhaps the cap was not seated correctly or a dodgy rotor? Or a poor connection between the coil wire and the dizzy cap.

Peter

Comment

• Lubrdink
      • Apr 2021

Peter-good questions. We had good spark at the end of the coil wire where it goes into the distributor and then pulled the cap and rotor.
      Your idea probably is a good one since the only thing we had done with the ignition to that point was pull the distributor wire off of the coil while working on the fuel pump but it's possible in the process we bumped the dist.
      Very strange since it was running beautifully just prior but as you know space and the ability to see things square on are limited under the cockpit!

Tom with Indigo asked me to call so I will do that later (he's on Pacific time I think and I'm on Central) and chat with him. I was impressed that he monitors the forum and contacted me within an hour of the post.

I'll reply soon and I do appreciate your input.
      Lubrdink
      1970 Newport 27
      Original A4

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Lubr,
        If you were getting spark “to the distributor” then the EI module was working at that point.
        You had an issue getting the spark through the rotor to the plugs. I suspect that removing and replacing the cap was what fixed things, not the “tap” on the EI module.
        Perhaps the cap was not seated correctly or a dodgy rotor? Or a poor connection between the coil wire and the dizzy cap.
        Peter
        How old is the distributor cap? The contacts inside the towers where the wires plug in can get corroded. The little booties look impressive but don't help that much. Add high voltage electricity and corrosion can easily happen. You can dress the contacts with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around common yellow wood pencil. Needless to say when the cap gets this far gone the best thing to do is replace it.
        Also check the contacts on the ends of the spark plug wires. They can easily get corroded passing high voltage electricity.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

Tom is actually on East coast time, so he's up already.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

• Lubrdink
            • Apr 2021

All done I hope

Well I just talked to Tom at Indigo and had a great conversation. He assured me that he's never had one fail except by lightning and that if I'm getting fire at the distributor the module is working correctly and from there on it's strictly a function of the distributor (as Pete indicated as well).
            With that info I am assuming that when we pulled the coil wire we somehow moved the dist cap that may have been loose (although it's run for 7 years so???). The coil wire was the only thing we touched prior to it happening so I"m going with that. Distributor and rotor all look good and we were getting zero fire at all, nothing to indicate misfire due to a crack or tracking inside.

All said I'm 100% sure there's nothing wrong with the EI and continue to assert it's a great product that works flawlessly and has great support!

Hoping to launch tomorrow. Happy sailing and many thanks.
            Lubrdink
            1970 Newport 27
            Original A4

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              • Jan 2007

Lubrdink, the EI still needs the cap, rotor, wires and plugs to be good to operate properly.
              I have used these "photo optic" style triggers for many years with no problems. In trouble shooting for others all I have found was a bad connection somewhere AND the other is the photo cell getting knocked out of alignment with the "shutter". Be sure that the photo cell is well over the shutter and not wobbling or touching.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Lubrdink
                • Apr 2021

Dave I checked it all over and it looks good. Running like a sweet machine and all appears good. Thanks for the advice.
                Lubrdink
                1970 Newport 27
                Original A4

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

JUST FOR PEACE OF MIND....

Try pushing the wiring around with a stick while the engine is running just to be sure there is no weird intermittent connection - defective end conductor, wire that is almost broken - whatever.
                  Been down this road before.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• keithems
                    • Feb 2008

i have an indigo electronic ignition i purchased in 2011 but never installed..

so...does anyone have a wiring diagram or manual for same?

also -- i have the main module with wires attached..but what else do i need to install it on my late model a4 with delco ignition?

thank you all in advance

keith
                    keithems
                    [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

Do you have the shutter and photo cell? The photo cell is installed where the points were and the shutter installs "under the rotor" on the distributor shaft.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• keithems
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                        Do you have the shutter and photo cell? The photo cell is installed where the points were and the shutter installs "under the rotor" on the distributor shaft.

Dave Neptune
                        i'll go look..

thanks for the fast response
                        keithems
                        [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

The black wire to "block" ground, red wire to coil + side and yellow to - coil side FYI.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Sam
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Apr 2010

I remember seeing a YouTube on the conversion a couple years back - strait forward and took about 20 minutes.. worth checking ouit.

Comment

• keithems
                              • Feb 2008

i don't think i have a shutter, unless it is incorporated with the other parts

i took pix of what i have but i can't get them for now from my phone over to my email to send to you, but i'll try to do that tomorrow..

i did get a private message from tom stevens at indigo also.
                              keithems
                              [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

Working...
                              X