• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capnward
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2012

Engine runs rough at higher RPM's under load

Greetings A-4 sages:
    My A-4 has been running great all season, until now. After over 150 hours on it this year, it has started running unevenly above 1200 rpm under load. In neutral, and at low rpm under load, it runs fine. I have to pull the throttle out more than usual to get it to go to 1500 rpm, and then it's not happy. The vacuum gauge used to read about 7 under load at cruising speed, around 1800 rpm. Now it reads around 3 at 1500, and won't reach 1800.
    I figured it was junk getting into the carb, so I replaced the Racor filter, and the two inline filters, one before the mechanical fuel pump and one after. There was some particulate in the gas drained from the Racor, but no water. The in-line filters weren't very obstructed. Fuel pressure was and is about 3.5 on the gauge. I also disassembled and cleaned the carb and jets. New gasket between carb halves. Didn't see any junk in the carb or jets. I turned the idle mixture screw 1 turn out from seating, and the main jet screw 1.5 turns out. Usually when I replace filters and clean the carb, it solves the problem. Not this time. Actually the problem is now worse. Engine hesitates when accelerating above 1200 rpm, then runs rough. In reverse it seems to do better, but that's probably because reverse puts less load on it. The plugs are a little sooty around the rims but the contacts are clean. I have not tried turning the distributor to change timing, or replacing the cap and rotor, or plugs. I have electronic ignition. The spark seems good from the center wire on the coil. I have not looked at my 2-blade urethane prop from CDI, maybe a piece has broken off it. I use non-ethanol fuel.
    Any thoughts? I await your collective wisdom.
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Blockage in the exhaust system?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by capnward View Post
      ... Engine hesitates when accelerating above 1200 rpm, then runs rough. ...
      Somewhere around 1100 is where the carb begins to transition from the idle jet to the main jet. To me, the above statement suggests that your problem lies in the carb's main jet or its associated orifices.

When you cleaned out the carb, did you physically run a fine wire through every opening? Often, just spraying carb cleaner won't cut it.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• capnward
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2012

adjustable main jet screw in too far

Thanks for the prompt response. I found that when reinstalling the carburetor, I accidentally turned in the main jet screw a half turn, so that instead of it being out 1.5 turns, it was actually out 1 turn. I gave it another full turn out, so now it is out 2 turns. This seems to have solved the problem enough to run at 1600 with a load at the dock, but it doesn't want to accelerate more than that. Maybe it will underway. Engine is definitely more smoothed out, but still not as strong under load as I'd like.
        Water coming out exhaust seems to be normal; I have a bypass so that part of the exhaust water is vented out the side of the boat. The rest goes out at the transom. This was put in by the PO in the 80's to alleviate back-pressure.
        I also turned the distributor counterclockwise a bit. This increased rpm a little and made the engine sound more throaty.

Comment

• capnward
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2012

main jet wasn't cleaned with wire.

I forgot to add that I when I had the adjustable main jet removed, I did not clean the jet orifice with a wire, just blasted carb cleaner through it. I did remove the idle jet and ran a wire in it, it looked fine.

Comment

• capnward
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2012

carburetor adjustment

When turning the carburetor counterclockwise, does this retard the timing, and made the engine run richer?

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Do you have an early model A4 or a late model A4?

Comment

• capnward
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2012

late model, I believe. the serial number indicated I think, that it was cast in 1974. The carb is definitely late model.

Comment

Working...
                X