Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Ericson

#1   IP: 76.64.227.46
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Pictures of your Ericson 27 or E29

For anyone out there with an Ericson 27 or Ericson 29 I’d love to swap pictures and hear what you've done as far as upgrades.

Winter projects I'm thinking of include
Adding handrails to the headliner (almost complete)
Building a swim platform stern ladder (possibly fiberglassing a reverse transom and building the swim platform into it)
And if time/money permit a dodger....Does anyone have the dimensions for this?

Jason
"Panacea"
North Channel Lake Huron
  #2   IP: 97.113.39.26
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Ericson 29 Athena in Seattle, WA

Hey Jason,

When I bought my '79 Ericson 29 Athena six or seven years ago, they had retrofitted a big bow roller on it to get the CQR away from the bow. The original got smashed on the dock in a storm (so that's what a spring line is for!) I just completed a re-design and installation of a fiberglass/epoxy with plywood core. It has integral pulpit and new LED nav lights that are brilliant and efficient. I also have always had a dodger, a necessity in Seattle. These are usually custom put together by companies that do them. I think thy have templates like the cushion makers for different boat models so they can get the framing right. There is also a guy two boats down from me that has a '77 E27 that is in beautiful shape. He is just refinishing the deck teak handholds as a winter (get away from the wife and needy grandkids) project.

Please see pics of Athena attached. PCO..is the smashed bow roller. There are two of the new one installed and a shot of the dodger.

Happy sailing! I was just out last night (Feb 8) in pure glass Lake Washington waters. Sublime and the A-4 purred like a kitten for several hours straight pushing us along at 3.25 kts at idle.

Dave
Attached Images

#3   IP: 97.113.39.26
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM

The Dodger!

J:

I forgot the dodger pic! Here it is.

Dave
Attached Images

#4   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,284 Times in 837 Posts
Had a E-27 #736

I did a bunch of mods and sold her 24 years ago and now have a E35MkII.

I changed the rudder angle by straightening it to 5 degrees. I removed the leading edge which was a big pia to cut all that stainless and added a short 18" long skeg triangular in shape about 10" deep. Made a huge differance in steering responce especially when heeled and she tracked a bit better.

A year after doing the rudder I contacted B King and together with him and Norm Cross (trimaran guy) we modified the keel. We went 8" deeper and used the leading edge except dropped all the way to the point 8" below the existing keel. This eliminated the big radius that screwed things up. The keel's shape was intersected with about 80% of the existing keel just a bit better shape from N Cross. He was well notet for his keels. We only included another 385 pounds which was at the very bottom or in the shoe. I had Ericson make me a plug out of the mold of the keel and mounted it to a dolly and built the new one in place upside down out of fiber glass, marine ply and lead. This made a huge differance in latteral stability in all conditions and the boat was a bit stiffer. As the new keel changed the waterline by bringing the bow down an inch which helped in light air by taking out a bit of the hobby horsing.

Inside I added a counter to the galley by making a fold up off the port bunk. This I could fold up and use while cooking and fold down for lounging around.
I also "MIRRORED" the starboard bunk and installed with a piano hinge. This I could fold out and then I had a double bunk which was quite comfortable for 2. I did carry an extra cushion for it in the q-berth.

Great boat loved it.
Dave Neptune
  #5   IP: 99.6.130.173
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mike boyd sr
ericson 29

jason mike boyd here this is my first posting here i've been reading other posts and their problems best of all how they solved . with everybody's help ive turned a 29ft ericson that a friend unloaded on me into a pretty nice boat and even rebuilt my atomic 4 where it sat and finally it runs also. if you saw this boat inside you'd know why its a shock to former owner and the rest of marina, it sat for2.5 yrs with 4ft of mostly salt water,what wasnt moldy was rotten.so again thanx to everybody and jason soon as i can figure out how to transfer my pictures i will send them your way. mike
  #6   IP: 75.204.183.45
Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 AM

Mike,

If you havent already checked it out--there is an "official" Ericson site at:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/home.php

Check it out.

Gary
Rogers, Arkansas
  #7   IP: 155.94.110.223
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM

There seems to be a few E27 owners, including me, in various stages of upgrading their vessels either in this forum or the Ericson board. I will probably get the indigo electronic ignition module, installation seems straight forward any gotchas? for the E27 owners that still have the original signet depth sounder, what is the function of the "other" red knob? one is the brightness.
  #8   IP: 206.210.110.90
Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Swim platform

Name:  Swim platform -Malo 116.JPG
Views: 4996
Size:  315.1 KB

Name:  Malo yacht-34'-swim platform.jpg
Views: 5032
Size:  31.7 KB

[QUOTE=Jason C;16884]For anyone out there with an Ericson 27 or Ericson 29 I’d love to swap pictures and hear what you've done as far as upgrades.

Winter projects I'm thinking of include
Adding handrails to the headliner (almost complete)
Building a swim platform stern ladder (possibly fiberglassing a reverse transom and building the swim platform into it)
And if time/money permit a dodger....Does anyone have the dimensions for this?

Hi Jason,

I am thinking also about instaling swim platform om my E29. Check attached pictures and visit website: www.batsystem.se.
Have you finished your handrail project? It is also on my project list. Can you take few pictures. I have done many changes on my boat, but the most usefull in my opinion are stern seats and modified stern rail. Pictures with next post. I keep my boat in Penetang, near Midland on Georgian Bay.
We are plannig this summer to visit North Channel and probably Espaniola as well.

If you want more pictures of my projects you can contact me at
tedpil@yahoo.ca

Ted Pilipczuk
E29 "Odin"
  #9   IP: 144.230.63.57
Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM

E29 Mods

We bought our 78 last fall and have been working hard on it all winter. Fortunately the least of my projects has been the A4. The wife is very interested in the stern rail seats if you can give some ideas. You can PM if you like.
Thanks