Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 03-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Unregistered

Question Prop for a Triton

In your Prop FAQ’s, you talk about using a two-bladed 13 x 8 prop on a Triton.

Later you talk about the Indigo 3-bladed prop. Would this be appropriate for a Triton?

Presently, there is an 11 x 6 on the boat. The engine obviously has no trouble turning the prop, but reverse sucks!

What prop would you recommend for a cruising Triton?
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM

While it’s my understanding that Pearson used to provide two-bladed props for the Triton, sized at (or near) 13 X 8, I never intended to convey this recommendation as my own. I generally believe that any two-bladed prop larger than an equivalent 12 X 7 is too large for an Atomic 4. The reason Pearson recommended such a large prop was apparently due to concerns over the turbulent flow of water moving past the aperture around the prop.

In the years since the Triton was built, many other boats have been designed with apertures in the keel and rudder similar to the Triton, and there seems to now be some disagreement among the experts regarding the effect of the aperture on prop performance.

I recommend that you contact Indigo Electronics for confirmation, but they now show many boats with an aperture design in their long list of successful applications for their prop on their website.
  #3   IP: 209.112.91.19
Old 04-16-2005, 01:35 AM

CDI prop

I put a CDI atomic 4 prop on my Irwin 32. CDI says the prop was designed for the A4. It is plastic and costs around $200. I am very happy with it. I picked up at least .5 knts in forward and a noticable difference in my ability to stop in reverse when docking. Steerage in reverse is as bad as my old prop was. I have used this prop for around 5 years with no problem. I highly recommend it.

Tags
None