Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#1   IP: 152.163.100.136
Old 03-13-2005, 09:55 PM

short block

Is a short block unique to early or late model? I plan on doing a rebuild this coming fall/winter (2005/06) and have an early model A4. I know the starter is not intrchangeable, but what of the distributor? It has a late model cooling system with the t-stat housing on the front corner of the head.

What determines the condition of the distributor as in rebuild or not?

What is the advantage of a short block purchase other than the savings in labor?

Doug
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 03-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Doug,

I'll try to answer your questions individually:

1) Is a short block unique to early or late model?

All of our short block assemblies are built around a late model block. The only difference between late model and early model blocks is that late models have an oil fill tube over the flywheel housing, while early models do not. Except for early model Prestolite starters, all parts that you might find on your early model engine are easily transferable to a late model short block. If you want to continue using your Prestolite starter, you can let us know when you place your order, and we'll remove the flywheel and flywheel cover so that you can install your early model components.

2) I know the starter is not interchangeable, but what of the distributor?

Your early model Prestolite distributor is easily transferable as long as we pay a little attention to the accessory drive. If you use your original accessory drive there's no problem. If you change accessory drives at the time of your rebuild, let Ken know that you plan to use your Prestolite distributor so that he can provide an accessory drive that has the 1/4" X 20 threaded hole in the top to secure the Prestolite hold down bracket. This is not a problem, since all but the very latest accessory drives have this hole.

3) What determines the condition of the distributor as in rebuild or not?

Most distributors can be rebuilt unless they have taken a lot of water damage internally. In the case of your Prestolite distributor, internal water damage sometimes weakens the vertical posts to which the fly weight springs attach, and they break off at the base. Even this condition can be repaired, but it adds a bit to the cost.

4) What is the advantage of a short block purchase other than the savings in labor?

Labor savings are certainly the biggest factor, but you'll also benefit financially if your other major castings are in good condition and you've been maintaining your accessories so that all these things transfer easily.
  #3   IP: 205.188.116.138
Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 PM

'Nother question on the distributor.

Is there an advantage to the Delco over the Prestolite? Will the Delco fit in my early model without any changes in the mounting, etc?

Doug
  #4   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM

Doug,

The only thing you have to do to install a Delco distributor on an early model engine is to drill and tap a 5/16" coarse-threaded hole in the top of the aft housing, just behind the distributor mounting hole on the accessory drive. This hole is very easy to drill and tap during an overhaul, but it's difficult to catch all the drilling and tapping debris while the engine is completely assembled.

Some folks simply use the 1/4" X 20 hole in the top of the accessory drive to secure the Delco hold-down bracket. When using the hole in the accessory drive, it's good to take a round file and elongate the hole in the bracket so that it lays flat.

The Delco distributor is considerably easier to service, especially when it comes to changing points. However, installation of an Ignitor solves the problem of changing points and seems to me to be a better value than changing distributors. If you're committed to staying with points and condenser, converting to a Delco makes more sense.

Best regards,

Don Moyer
  #5   IP: 205.188.116.138
Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 PM

distributor

Don,

Thanks for your replies. The reason I asked about the distributor is I may be doing a short block but want to purchase a few items before hand. If the Delco fits easily in the early model I may purchase that and the water pump ahead of time basically installing on the block I have. She's about 40 years old, smokes, burns oil, etc. Time to do a pre-emptive strike. You know, the best defense is a good offense.

Doug

Tags
early/late distributor