Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Ericson

#1   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-09-2018, 02:44 PM

1972 E27-Fixing Everything

Got this boat end of Dec 2017. Its hull #61 off the E27 assembly line.
Been posting in the troubleshooting section since the engine wasn't running.
With their awesome help, that problem is solved and its time to move on to other things.

If you want to read how I got from there to here, this is the link.
http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10545

Going to use this as a repair log and question spot for things specific to my E27 renovation/overhaul.

Can only work on boat on weekends, so that's when I will have updates.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-09-2018 at 07:57 PM.
  #2   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,424 Posts
Have you seen the pictures of Alan Gomes' E26-2 (nearly identical to yours)? He's an active member on the Ericson site. Some of the projects we have done on his boat are:
Complete cabin sole replacement
Lighting mods
Rudder slop repair including a new rudder
Anchor well lid modification to accommodate a Rockna anchor in the roller
Deck void repair over the head
Composting head
Laminate porosity in the skeg (chronic leak)
Garhauer traveler
New tiller
New tiller pilot
Engine swap in the water (essentially like for like) using the rig as a crane
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 PM

I do have an account at the Ericson site but I feel more interested in the people here. I made a few posts there and got some or no reply. I even got chastised for posting a question in the 'wrong section'. Nothing happened that I felt the need to continue the conversation there.
Here? Everyone is very supportive and informed. The replies are not just a few words but practically a dissertation on the subject.
I've finally figured out fear and doubt are worse than the actual situation. Both of these are cured with good help.

That's what I need to make this happen. Ideas and things to try when it all goes wrong.

I've made a point of asking if it was ok to continue the troubleshooting discussion in the that forum so as not to irritate anyone.
It's just finally time to move, so I came here.

Haven't personally met anybody. Jeff Ashbury has been particularly helpful since I used his doc on how to remove the fuel tank. Did tell him thank you on fb. He was very courteous and glad his write up helped somebody. Be happy to review the pics of that 26-2 if you know where they are as well as the work done.

I didn't start up on the Moyer site till I had all the necessary background work done to actually start the engine.
After 2 days and $400 of paid mechanic help that couldn't get it running, I decided to give it a try on my own, with the
help of this website. We were successful. The mechanic was not.

Oh, the mechanic said the engine was trashed and would never run.

List of what I've done on this boat so far, no particular order.
Most of this was not discussed in the troubleshooting thread.

Replaced bilge pump float switch and wiring.
Float switch hinge was cracked....wires shot.
Pump power is direct from bat2 with fuse.

Replaced old carb with new/used carb.
Replaced alternator belt.
Drained/filled oil.

Installed 2nd battery.
Marine is bat1. Car battery is bat2. Just bought 2nd marine battery, not installed yet.
Extended bat2 cables to reach further. Cables were physically too short to reach battery 2 position.
Connected charger/maintainer to both batteries.

Replaced missing spark arrestor.
Added rubber hose from block to spark arrestor.
Reconnected/adjusted/lubricated choke cable.
Fixed/reconnected throttle cable on handle end due to bent cable.
Adjusted carb idle control 1.5 screws out.
Adjusted carb limit screw not to die on full slow throttle.

Replaced electric fuel pump. Later found out original electric pump was on manual power switch and probably works.
Fuel pump is powered by coil +. Only place I know to find a key on circuit easily.
Added inline switch to fuel pump + to cut off fuel and run the carb dry if needed.
This is to empty the carb over winter when boat not in use,
so varnish/sludge does not form.

Replaced main halyard line.
Replaced all 4 bimini straps. Very rotten and frayed.
Patched bimini top center. Had an abrasion hole due to rubbing on overhead lines.

New anchor/rope/chain because I thought there was none.
Found prior anchor and rope in latrine locker. Has no chain.

Adjusted points to .2 as per specs.
This and the carb is what finally got the motor to start.
The points were hugely too wide open.

New fuel line from tank to carb.
Replaced line that holds boom to center slider bolted to cabin roof.
Replaced lines in center slider so slider can be positioned to left or right side of cabin.

Cleared clogged heat exchanger by inserting screw driver in outlet port.
Cut back heat exchanger outlet coolant hose due to partial hose collapse.
Adjusted blower intake tube not to interfere with shift lever.
Found blower output tube on back side of fan totally disconnected.
Jammed it into the fan outlet so it never comes out again.

Freed stuck #3 valve by getting engine to run continuously and using MMO.

Replaced shift cable. Old cable split open and rusty.
Replaced fuel tank. Leak in bottom rear starboard corner.
Replaced and looped fuel tank vent line to prevent exterior water intake.
Installed fuel gauge. Still doesn't show right level but it does kick on.
Reconnected pulpit supports to pulpit main tube by drilling holes and using cotter pins to hold the parts together.
Inspected main sail and roller furler sail. No rips or tears.

To do list:

Test all exterior lights/fix as needed.
Test all interior lights/fix as needed.
Do something with electronics. Boat has 3 obsolete non working wind gauges. Has VHF that does work.
Depth finder most needed.
Spare points/condenser/cap
Spare water pump impeller.
Fix wood handrails - in progress
Replace sail cover-in progress. Sewing Sail Rite kit together. Original sail cover just rotten along the top edge.
Check if windows leak/replace lens due to serious bad fogging up lens.
Replace genoa wind up pull rope? Very thin. I feel it may be too thin.

Rear hatch needs work. The wood frame is old and split in places. The plastic center plate is held on by screws some of which have pulled out the frame.

Reseal cockpit drain just in case its leaking.
Reseal steering wheel pedestal just in case its leaking.
Reseal/move fuel fill assembly. Don't like fuel fill in floor.
Have already sealed the deck fuel fill but will not use anymore.
Hoping to make side of cockpit fuel fill instead.
Found the sink drain is just open to the bilge. There is a thru hull fitting right under it, but
they are not connected.

That's what I can remember at this point.

And you thought I told the whole story in troubleshooting section.
:-)

I do feel the boat is safe at this point to take out from the dock on short runs, notwithstanding the remaining things to be done.
Only untied it and left the slip once so far, on my own.
That attempt ended with the boat returning to the dock due to shifting issues.

Second try will be soon.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
  #4   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Afourian MVP

I have only a few pictures of Alan's boat projects but here are two: the modification to his anchor well lid to fit the anchor and his finished Lonseal cabin sole.
Attached Images

#5   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM

Strangely enough, my boat has no chain locker built into the deck. Not that it was glassed over, there just is none.
Done lots of anchor reading and I'm impressed with the Rocna myself.

I do like that cover design though. The floor is also much more interesting with the wood tone than just plain scuffed up white.
I do not have those small hatch doors on the floor. Only one I have is bilge pump door under the ladder.

I suspect this boat was totally setup for racing at some point in the past.

It has the folding propeller, the setup for big balloon spinnaker with the required additional winches and attachment points, and the whisker pole.

There is a gold colored plate on on the interior cabin that says
"3rd place, 1979".

I only know the partial history of the last 3 owners. No idea how it got from California to New Orleans.

Owner 3 had it for years and loved it. He supposedly took good care of it and always refused to sell it until the day came where he had 3 sailboats and had to get rid of one. The Ericson was the one to go.

Owner 2 was a student who figured out that living on a sailboat was cheaper than renting an apartment. He did nothing with it besides sleep in it, until he didn't need it anymore and put it up for sale. He left a small microwave in the galley.

Owner 1 was an older gentleman. Turns out he already had a boat and wanted the slip the Ericson was in. Seems that particular marina is a highly desirable location and slips never come open. He bought the boat for $4500 just to get the slip.

He spent a little effort trying to get the motor running but wasn't the mechanical type. He gave up on fixing it and put it on Craigslist for $2000.

I bought it.
You know the rest.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-09-2018 at 11:30 PM.
  #6   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Anchor wells came on the scene a little after your boat was built, like around 1975.

You may have noticed the members on the Ericson forum think their brand is superior to the rest. I'm not making that up, they really do. The fact is Ericsons are no better, worse, different, faster or slower than most of the competing production boats of the era.

Last edited by ndutton; 04-09-2018 at 11:25 PM.
  #7   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 PM

Between the time I saw this hull for sale and today, I've done tons of reading on the manufacturer. Except for window leaks, possible 'soft' back side of the keel(don't hit it with anything because the glass is somewhat thin), and a few accounts of wet deck spots that had to be fixed, I haven't found anybody who says that Ericson sucks.

On the other hand I've read many decent reviews and evaluations which say this is a good solid hand built boat that will get you where you want to go.
Sometimes the best boat to have is the one thats not known as the worst.

I found a 30' Irwin that had taken on a couple feet of water and was for sale cheap, although it was far from me.
When I started reading about that make, I ran into comments like 'save your money, you can do better'.
That got shot down pretty quick.

I'm with you. These are all built to the same specs to do the same job.
The fact this particular hull has survived in the shape it is today, does show it was well built and somewhat well maintained for most of its life.

I'm trying to keep it going. Hey Neil, thanks for your personal interest.

This boat will never be beautiful, but if it leaves the dock I'm pretty certain it will return home safely when I'm done with it, if I have any say in it.
Thats the true measure of the value of any boat.

Behind the scenes my first name is Bill. Really am Cajun with a french last name.
Nice to chat with you.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-09-2018 at 11:57 PM.
  #8   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 AM
Afourian MVP

Of the Southern California sailboat manufacturers during the era and style/purpose of your boat, to my knowledge all but one made them by hand, mold to finish. All but one had well engineered and executed hull and deck joints, all could be counted on to get you home in expected coastal conditions, all had decent speed. They all bought their leaky windows from the same vendor, same with engines, tanks, spars, woodwork, fiberglass materials, keels, cushions, etc. The labor force was the same people making the employment rounds from manufacturer to manufacturer. So are Ericsons a solid boat? Yeah, but so are the Cals, Rangers, Islanders, Newports and so on.

It seems every manufacturer had their problems too. Catalina originally designed inferior lower chainplates for their C-30. Once it became apparent they stepped up and designed a robust replacement which many of us on this forum have installed. Since we are talking about Ericsons, Alan's (Ericson 26-2) hull was porous like an ant farm from the transom to the rudder tube, like a couple of feet. The only thing keeping his boat afloat was the bilge pump. It took quite an effort to fix with an involved technique and custom tooling. It was a pretty serious fiberglass defect. Had you read about that prior to considering an Ericson would it have swayed you against them?

A testament to the build quality of all of the manufacturers is that their products are still sailing today 45 years later. And for those brands that receive negative comments, please know that there is nothing as detrimental to a boat as the owner. Said another way, don't blame the boat for the result of the owners "care."

Last edited by ndutton; 04-10-2018 at 01:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-10-2018)
  #9   IP: 72.194.220.204
Old 04-10-2018, 01:25 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSpike View Post
This boat will never be beautiful,
Oh,come on. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Anybody that doesn't think my boat is beautiful can kiss my ass.

TRUE GRIT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-10-2018), Easy Rider (01-27-2019)
  #10   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-10-2018, 10:04 AM

The totally honest reason I got this boat was not because it was an Ericson. I got it because it was cheap.

All my life, I've never been in a position to just go and buy a good, new, modern version of anything.

I think its insane when I read of people spending tons of money for a boat they could lose at any time.
Just ask all the people who got hit by hurricanes. I really do live in New Orleans. I did actually visit a local marina
after Hurricane Katrina to find dozens of boats piled one on top each other on land and many more visible only as
mast's poking out of the water. So I do understand what can happen in the wrong circumstances.

Still though, the idea of getting outside and enjoying the world and life, is very appealing.
I just couldn't afford do it at full price.

I've bought used/dead VW's for years to drive because I could fix them and it was cheaper then buying a new car.

I had a used/old lafitte skiff for many years that I configured for inshore shrimping.
The seller wanted me to promise when I was done with it, to sell it back to him at 1/2 price. Apparently he had a good business selling it and buying it back when the buyer became tired of it. He never got it back from me.

The hull eventually became badly damaged and it had to be parked.
Later for reasons I'm not sure I believe, the boat disappeared.

That skiff was one of the few things in my life where I could do absolutely anything I wanted, without somebody telling me I couldn't do it.
It was gone.

I just lost interest in doing outside things and did a lot of sitting at home.

Few years later, I started watching all the youtube's about people going sailing and fixing up old boats. It reminded me the fun I had building up the skiff to be a usable machine after it was bought.

So I started scanning Craigslist and discussing the idea of a sailboat with my wife.

She got big ideas about sailing to places we had gone visit on the cruise ships. The reality of it was I didn't have a lot of money in savings to pull this off and I knew what it would take to fix up anything that needed work.

Found this boat for sale locally at a price I could afford. Went check it out and was generally surprised at the fair condition, although the motor not running literally scared me. As much mechanical work as I have done in the past, starting over with an unknown engine messed with my head a lot. The next day I was 5 seconds from sending an email to the seller telling him I didn't think I could revive the engine and wanted to back out of the deal to purchase the boat.

My wife saw that I was doing and said "don't send that and just get the boat".

So now 4 months later the hole in the water that couldn't move is now a usable sailing craft that I have good faith in. It could have been any make of sailboat, just happened to be Ericson.

So to me, this boat is not just something that floats. Its a purpose to get out and do things again instead of just sitting and getting old.

Thanks for listening.

And yes I read about the transom rotting in some models where people cut out the back of the boat to hang an outboard off of it.
This particular hull is pretty unmolested and intact. That fact would not have made a difference simply because this was a boat I could afford
to buy and work on. Even if it sank the day I got it, losing $2000 wouldn't kill me.

So either way, there was not much to lose but a whole lot to gain if it could be fixed.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.
  #11   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Yep, understand completely. My lecture on brand quality was a reaction to the Ericson snobs on the EYo forum of which there are many. Truly, their boats are no different than thousands of others. What makes yours special is that it's yours and the much needed care you are giving it.

We all come from different circumstances but on this forum dedicated to an engine that Universal gave up on 35 years ago we all have aged, lesser [monetary] value boats. One way or another we find a way to keep 'em going, boats as well as engines. We spend as the discretionary funds allow.
CajunSpike (04-10-2018)
  #12   IP: 131.162.193.128
Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Replaced electric fuel pump. Later found out original electric pump was on manual power switch and probably works.
Fuel pump is powered by coil +. Only place I know to find a key on circuit easily.
Added inline switch to fuel pump + to cut off fuel and run the carb dry if needed.
This is to empty the carb over winter when boat not in use,
so varnish/sludge does not form.
Do you have an oil pressure safety switch installed?

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Administrator (04-10-2018)
  #13   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-10-2018, 11:12 AM

As of this writing, I do not.
Boat was not wired that way when I got it.

I understand the concept though. If the oil pressure drops, it cuts off the fuel flow.

I specifically bought a very low pressure pump so it wouldn't overfill the carb with the engine not running.

I've even gone so far as to run the pump with the engine off, watching the carb throat to see if any fuel would leak out. Verified the carb installed has a valid and in good shape needle valve seal.

It does not leak fuel with pump running and engine off currently.
That doesn't mean it never will however.

The oil pressure switch is just the standard can type single contact switch
connected to a variable pressure gauge.

Would you need a different type of sending unit to do this?

This is whats installed currently.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-10-2018 at 11:31 AM.
  #14   IP: 137.200.32.54
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,022 Times in 717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Yep, understand completely. My lecture on brand quality was a reaction to the Ericson snobs on the EYo forum of which there are many. Truly, their boats are no different than thousands of others. What makes yours special is that it's yours and the much needed care you are giving it.

We all come from different circumstances but on this forum dedicated to an engine that Universal gave up on 35 years ago we all have aged, lesser [monetary] value boats. One way or another we find a way to keep 'em going, boats as well as engines. We spend as the discretionary funds allow.
In the end it comes down to does someone love the boat. Even the best boat will be trash in 30 years if not maintained and meanwhile 100 year old wooden log canoes are out racing hard all summer because someone loves the old girls enough to keep them in good shape.
A car analogy - in 100 years I am sure it will be possible to buy an MGB or Jaguar E-Type in good condition and impossible to buy a Toyota Camry or even find anyone who knows what one is.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-10-2018)
  #15   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Along those lines, I have a 73 Super Beetle convertible and a 91 Rabbit Convertible in my garage.

They are there because they were cared for.
Hull #61
Atomic 4
  #16   IP: 131.162.193.128
Old 04-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
As of this writing, I do not.
Boat was not wired that way when I got it.

Yes, you need a different unit.

The oil pressure safety switch (OPSS) is a simple on-off switch that is open when the oil pressure is less than a certain value and and closes when the pressure exceeds that value - typically 6 PSI.

Our hosts offer one - https://moyermarine.com/product/oil-...si-fpmp_04_46/

There is a port on the block at the aft end on the port side for installing one.

Can Neil please chime in to comment whether an OPSS is a Coast Guard/ABYC(?) requirement or not?

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-10-2018)
  #17   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM

The fuel pump in that OPSS part photo is the one that came with the boat, that I'm not using now. The label on it does say Universal.

The original fuel pump bolted to the block is still there, but not connected.
Next time I'm on the boat, I'll look in the area of the switch in the photo.
Haven't really looked deeply at that area yet, so its possible there may be a switch there.
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-10-2018 at 12:24 PM.
  #18   IP: 108.45.44.91
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
...The oil pressure switch is just the standard can type single contact switch
connected to a variable pressure gauge.

An oil pressure sender produces a variable resistance, proportional to the oil pressure. This appears to be what you have.

An oil pressure switch, hooked to an "idiot light", is normally closed and opens a contact to ground when the oil pressure stays above a certain threshold. This is not what you want.

An oil pressure safety switch is normally open, and closes a pair of contacts when the oil pressure stays above a certain threshold. There is no electrical connection to ground. This is what you want. It should be wired in series with the fuel pump.

edit:
Peter types faster than I do! :0

Last edited by edwardc; 04-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to edwardc For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-10-2018)
  #19   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 04-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Can Neil please chime in to comment whether an OPSS is a Coast Guard/ABYC(?) requirement or not?

Peter
Yes sir, it certainly is. Ref: CFR 33 183.524
Please see page 29 of the pdf attachment found on this forum here.
Peter (04-10-2018)
  #20   IP: 108.45.44.91
Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Afourian MVP

And it's a commonsense safety issue. If a fuel line ruptures or comes off of a barb, you don't want the fuel pump to keep pumping gas into the bilge!! The OPSS kills the pump when the engine dies and prevents this.

I had this happen once on a Volkswagen microbus which did NOT have an OPSS! Talk about a heart-stopper! Gas was spraying over a hot exhaust manifold and boiling!!! Somehow, the gods smiled on us and we didn't go up in a ball of flame. I do NOT want a repeat of that experience!

#21   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Eons ago, was driving 73 super when the metal pipe that holds the fuel line to the carb backed out the carb all on its own.
I smelled the gas and cut the engine immediately.

Gas was being thrown all over the engine.

Was just grace the car didn't go up in flames.
Been there, understand that.
Hull #61
Atomic 4
  #22   IP: 72.218.157.30
Old 04-11-2018, 02:21 PM

"The fact is Ericsons are no better, worse, different, faster or slower than most of the competing production boats of the era."
ahhh yuh
Norfolk, VA
  #23   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Bill McLean, don't suppose you have easy access to your 27?
Looking to get a picture of how the sink drain connects to anything.
Does it go to the thru hull under the sink?
My sink drain ends in mid air.
Hull #61
Atomic 4
  #24   IP: 172.95.97.58
Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,284 Times in 837 Posts
Mine went to the cockpit drain via a tee. E-27 #734

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (04-11-2018)
  #25   IP: 184.176.196.206
Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 PM

That does sound much safer than leaving a thru hull always open.
Hull #61
Atomic 4