Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Ericson

#1   IP: 71.175.12.209
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 PM

Need new mechanical control

Hi Gang, Need a new mechanical control for my A4 on my Ericson 32. The one on there (Teleflex) left me stranded the other day with no forward floating against the current with only reverse to control the boat (no wind). Don't want to be in that spot again. Can someone suggest a good control (throttle and gear shift dual) that will not leave me stranded and wont break the bank. Also a source if you have one.
  #2   IP: 12.172.250.194
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Afourian MVP

The transmission linkage between the cockpit and the engine on the E32/A4 is really simple. Trace it through and figure out what happened; I bet you don't need a whole new system unless the lever broke off!

I'd guess that the bolts that grasp the thick cable close to the engine loosened up on the clamp they secure, and didn't give the cable enough stability to allow the shifter arm on the engine to click into its detent. Reverse doesn't have a detent, so it might have continued to work. Retightening the bolts is a 10-minute job, 11 minutes if you apply Loc-Tite to the nuts. If they're overtightened, they might squeeze the sliding inner part of the cable too tightly and the lever won't move. You'll see how it works.

Sometimes the inner cable gets corroded and stops moving freely no matter what you do to the engine-side clamp. In that case you can replace the cable (which, in my case when I replaced it 20 years ago was a standard Morse/Teleflex part, though they might have to make it to order), or you can try to shoot lubricant between the components and free it up.

The levers on my cockpit controls are a bit pitted, but the plastic colored balls on the top that you grab really looked terrible. They have a weird size thread, and identical Teleflex replacements were absurdly expensive, so I've been spray painting them every few years to maintain some semblance of respectability. Last year I realized that beautiful stainless balls with the correct thread are a standard part at McMaster-Carr - apparently forklifts use them too. Marine stainless luxury at forklift prices! Now I have the shiniest, newest balls at my club, and they didn't cost very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenders For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-06-2017)
  #3   IP: 99.30.185.198
Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Afourian MVP

Tenders has pointed out the probable cause of your shifting problem, the clamps that hold the cable jacket in place. The shifting is controlled by what is known as a "64" series cable which tend to become sticky over time. Lubing these cables is difficult and is normally a marginal fix. These control systems are still manufactured but most of the time just replacing the offending cable will take care of the problem.
Tom
  #4   IP: 98.171.161.182
Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

While you are working on the cable system disconnect the cable at the transmission shift lever to be sure the transmission is in full forward when the control lever is in the forward position.

TRUE GRIT
  #5   IP: 73.212.127.75
Old 06-06-2017, 08:06 PM

And then make darn sure that you put the cable back on the same spot it came off of. Most transmission shift levers have two holes...
  #6   IP: 71.175.12.209
Old 06-07-2017, 12:29 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback

I was hoping to replace the control mechanism as it's kind of stripped at the handle and I don't think this design (teleflex) was particularly good after disassembing it. Any recommendations on a new control mechanism or am I stuck with the teleflex model as my only option? It would seem to me that these would be fairly universal.
  #7   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,424 Posts
You'll find there are not many options for a suitable control for our engine. The reason is we have a rare - by current trends - manual transmission. All the diesels have hydraulic gears, usually Hurth brand, that require no more than a 33c cable to operate, the same as our throttle. The force necessary to shift our gear requires a larger 64c cable and as our engine fell out of favor in the 1980's, so did the required equipment necessary to operate it. The ridiculous pricing you see for new Morse (Teleflex) MJB control has more to do with low demand than the actual product.

There are several salvage parts businesses nationwide, you may choose to contact them to see what's available. For example, I visited Minney's Ship Chandlery's (Newport Beach) swap meet last Sunday (yes Dave, I dropped a few bucks at the Corsair table). Comparing the cost of a new Teleflex MJB control suitable for our engine @ $700.00 on line, I could have bought an entire Edson pedestal steering system including a pedestal mounted throttle and shift control, the right kind for the A-4, for $400.00.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 06-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Tags
dual control, gearshift, mechanical control, teleflex, throttle