Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 64.5.255.210
Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Engine won't start, but I'm narrowing it down.

All,

I was the one who thought my engine would not start because of a potential gearbox problem, but it must have been multiple problems.

I ran my boat several times this year, then it failed to start while i was out sailing last week. I did not change the oil this year, but there is definitely some water in there. I will change it a couple of times today, as per your other posts on water in gearbox.

I am also getting good spark to each plug (did clean up plugs though) , and 3 of 4 cylinders have great compression, with #3 good but noticably lower. The fuel is clean coming into the fuel bowl on the engine. However, I took off the flame arrestor and I have some water in the bottom of the carb. Carb still sucking air when engine turned over, but no ignition. Even when ether sprayed in it did not even kick. Fuel is last years, but I used a winter stabilizer.

Open to further suggestions. Do I need to take the carb off and clean it up? It is so difficult to get at, that I would not relish the idea, but will do what you suggest.

Thank you for your time on this problem,

Keir Hood