Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 73.159.239.173
Old 08-17-2020, 08:49 PM

Engine starts, runs and then stalls after 5-10 minutes

My engine is having an issue where it starts fine, runs fine for 5-10 minutes, and then stalls and shuts down. After the first stall, it runs for progressively shorter periods of time and stalls again and again. I recently had some work done on the ignition wiring, and immediately following this work is when the issue began. I brought it back to the yard and they replaced the coil, which did not solve the issue. Having read some earlier posts on this forum, and also given that this issue did not exist prior to having the ignition rewired, I suspect the issue has something to do with how they rewired the ignition. The yard disagrees and I’m not sure what to try next so I am looking for any specific suggestions anyone may have as far as what to look at. I don’t think it’s a fuel issue, as the fuel pump, carburetor and fuel line are all new this season (and did fine on a recent trip during which I ran the engine around 9 hours per day for 4 days). The wiring work that was done is that the ignition had been wired to the house battery, and they rewired so that the ignition is now wired (along with the starter) to the starter battery. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  #2   IP: 71.38.112.42
Old 08-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Welcome to the forum!
We'll get you up and going with some questions (and opinions) along the way.

Are the shutdowns SUDDEN as if the key was turned off?
Or... stumbling, stuttering and slow?

Are these shutdowns while in gear or in neutral at idle? (or both?)

Finally, do you have POINTS or EI?

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #3   IP: 47.142.134.119
Old 08-18-2020, 12:53 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

A couple of ideas.
Run a wire from the battery to coil + ,bypassing whatever the yard did, and see if the shutdowns go away. Do not leave the wire connected and hot on coil + for more than minute or two when the engine is not running or the coil will be fried.
At the moment this sounds like an ignition problem. This could change as things unfold. Immediately after a shutdown pull the big wire out of the center of the distributor hold it close to the engine while turning the engine with the starter and check for spark. A remote start switch is handy to facilitate this.

ex TRUE GRIT

Another welcome aboard to the forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (08-18-2020), Sam (08-18-2020)