X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Atomic 4 Brothers - Take a look at the picture and note the capacitor in the regulator ground circuit (ordinary ignition). The regulator body isn't even grounded. The problem appears to be solved! But how? Why? I need some electrical insight or this is going to drive me nuts (short trip)! Thanks, Hanley
    Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

pics!

Hanley, I know nothing of your electrical problems, but your picture quality has jumped quantum leaps!

it even looks good on my new smartphone!
      Last edited by sastanley; 09-30-2010, 08:29 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

This comment is not specific to your installation but normally capacitors installed in that fashion are there for noise suppression.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

The only thing i noticed was that once
          the battery was nearly fully charged it seemed to go into a repetitive
          pattern of fluctuations. I spoke with Balmar customer service and they
          told me to set the float voltage up a tenth of a volt to prevent this
          hunting as I call it.
          I have a Balmar alternator and regulator which exhibit exactly the same behavior. When I'm doing something like retensioning the alternator belt, I have to turn on every light and navigational instrument on the boat in order to present a load to the alternator and stop the hunting.

As Art pointed out, this behavior is observed only when the batteries are at or very near a full charge.

Bill

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Well there is some comfort in having company in the issue. But that leaves the question: why has this little condenser apparently cured the irregularity? Is the actual case of the regulator supposed to be grounded to the engine? Another little weirdness - I just checked the voltage (engine off) between the red wire (always hot) and the casing - .3 volts: so is the casing supposed to be grounded or is the ground just leaking to it's case? I could find nothing about this in the Balmar literature. Does anyone else specifically ground their case on this type of regulator?

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Hanley
              Have you spoken to Tech support at Balmar?

I found them helpful and knowledgeable sp? . I think I mentioned in my
              post that they suggested raising the float voltage 0.1 v to stop hunting.

Regards

Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Art - Yes, I remember your post on this. Did that suggestion work for you? Regards, Hanley

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Hi Hanley

I have not followed thru with the recommendation to up the float voltage
                  by 0.1 volts. Primarily because the switches are difficult to active with
                  the magnetic screwdriver and secondly because once I realized that
                  the fluctuations were not believed to affect the charging, I didn't want
                  to risk modifications that might result in a incorrect setting during the
                  season. I also had other fish to fry as you know from my fuel related
                  postings.

Regards

Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Problem Solved!!

The perplexing and maddening issue with the Transpo 1500 adjustable regulator has been solved on the road. While trying to adjust the NAPA mechanical contact style regulator I briefly reconnected the old regulator that I thought was no good[/I]while the regulator was laying on the seat, not mounted in the position shown in post #1[/I]. Encouraged, I remounted it in the position shown in post #1--it would not work. Moved it back to the seat and it worked again. Answer to the problem---the regulator will not work in close proximity to the tachometer which evidently sets up a field the regulator does not like. Regulator now moved to other end of instrument panel and all is well. Who'd 'a thunk it?

Comment

• jpian0923
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Was this a Don Moyer assisted fix?
                      "Jim"
                      S/V "Ahoi"
                      1967 Islander 29
                      Harbor Island, San Diego
                      2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                        Was this a Don Moyer assisted fix?
                        Negative; this was a dumb luck accidental unexpected fix--the Don Moyer recommended fix relates to fuel pressure reliability and will be posted when completed. Just as an aside, the regulator issue was a by product of redesigning and improving the instrument panel layout (or so I thought).

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

The remote regulator's operation is affected by ambient EMF's? (electro-magnetic fields for those keeping acronym notes) Not that it matters but you can imagine my opinion of it. Hint: drives me further down the path I was already traveling on the regulator discussion. What happens if you key the handheld VHF? Is shielding the regulator a consideration?

Glad to hear the issue is resolved or at least surrounded. You could have looked for a long time before finding the culprit. Sounds like you are enjoying the trip, also good to hear.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                          X