Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 07-17-2021, 11:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Take a listen to Oasis and advise please...

Good evening.

Been on the water and on my mooring for a week.

2 hours extended running down the river and 3 bridges.

First time the raw engine has run on the water in 3 years. Oil psi stayed in the 40 psi range. Temperatures in the 140 to 170 range raw water, no T stat, bypass closed. There is a spot in bottom front of the exhaust manifold that seems to be between manifold and head that temps as high as 190/200. All of this is touchless handheld as my temp sender and temp gauge need some trouble shooting, dial never moves above 120.

With low idle stalling, I spent a fair amount of time dialing in the low idle with a kind advisor, wonder if you could take a listen and tell me what you think. Bringing the inductive timing light to the boat this week. I remember reading low idle in the 600 rpm range. My low idle seems high yet, is very responsive for the constant reverse to forward I am getting a feel for while piloting. Welcome what your more experienced ears can tell me. Also I did the screwdriver to ear listen on each cylinder and really didn't hear anything exceptional for lifter noise. Current low idle.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pc7KrtQH6SRUL8rFA

As a side note, during my 10th practice pass at my mooring, I found that my Edson sheave frame mounting board was poorly tabbed or had been stressed or both and had delaminated over time. It(the mounting board) released on port side between mooring trips sending a shockwave of movement through the helm. I am studying the repair. Here is what I found on inspection.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZeixJ2fhJauU9tt6A

Here is what the tabbing looked like when I ripped it out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mVzp5FohsPuR9VV86

Taking all the time I need for further evaluation and fix. Just part of the journey.

I learned; don't just check your Edson hardware check the quality and status of the construction used to affix it to your boat. And I need to learn to scan for and spot delamination anywhere on the boat. (My delayed survey might have helped here). Fortunate no loss of helm and no need to deploy backup tiller. Shaking down in fair/forgiving conditions lot of margin for error. I am, however, re-evaluating the backup tiller which really doesn't do the job for my Pearson 30 spade rudder.

A final request. I would love to know your technique for managing reverse piloting with a wheel steered boat. Throttle, wheel, and keeping pressure on the reversing cam takes some getting used to. Then there is the beefy spade rudder to manage.

Thank you all for time and helping me come so far in a year. Stay well.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
  #2   IP: 172.58.76.239
Old 07-18-2021, 09:36 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBSmith View Post
There is a spot in bottom front of the exhaust manifold that seems to be between manifold and head that temps as high as 190/200. All of this is touchless handheld as my temp sender and temp gauge need some trouble shooting, dial never moves above 120.
That is the famous UHS (Ubiquitous Hot Spot) discussed HERE

Also easily remedied with the THATCH MOD

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
The Following User Says Thank You to roadnsky For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-19-2021)
  #3   IP: 134.41.132.177
Old 07-19-2021, 08:01 AM
Afourian MVP

That engine sounds good Tim...not bad at all.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-19-2021)
  #4   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 09-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Afourian MVP

Overdue for thank you and Edson sheave mount repair update...

Appreciate guidance on the hotspot...and the sounding on the engine.

I have since had Oasis out on a couple of runs temperature and oil pressure steady. Oil level unchanged after perhaps 10 hours running. I think I may have connected choke cable too far aft and need to connect it to the 45 degree bent end of the cable. Choke works, just feels tight. Yesterday and Sunday motor started on first crank, so with more regular use the motor seems to be settling in nicely.

Sheave mounting repair update. Google doc with a few pictures. What a learning journey. Everything working beautifully. Still working to get cable tension just right and realign to a king spoke on the wheel. Anyhow, here is the story on repair.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thanks to all for ongoing motor support and everything I learn following posts here.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
  #5   IP: 47.142.138.236
Old 09-29-2021, 01:07 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

R\E THE IDLE

To get a satisfactory idle you will need to start with the ignition system. The dwell and timing need to be set to spec and the advance needs be working correctly.
Once the ignition "side" is "dialed in" correctly you can adjust the idle speed and mixture in small increments at the carburetor to find the perfect idle for your engine.
I was able to get my idle down to a 575 -600 rpm range following this procedure. I was able to shift into and out gear at idle without touching the throttle and the engine would not die.

ex TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-29-2021)
  #6   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 09-29-2021, 08:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Idle...

Thank you. Been dialing in idle while on mooring and with some load. Using the jet screw and the throttle cable screw. Great results. Very pleased with low idle and forward and reverse response. Electronic ignition. Will still be looking at timing and then inspecting distributor components on the hard this fall after reading about some of the advance and other issues that need looking after. Thankful one of the PO's SMosher took such great care of the engine. Last 2 PO's over 3 years let her sit and didn't take much care.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA

Tags
#lowidle