Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 172.218.27.185
Old 06-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Help! All sorts problems came up

First of all I been through 2 A4 in my boat over a long time period and able to fix pretty much anything A4. Including a head gasket and valve job myself. But I'm trying to coax my engine long until the as my marine mechanic has found a suitable diesel that will work. However I was getting some crappy/water in fuel (which did happened) and not running right. So I pulled the fuel system and pulled the carb to blow it out and clean all filters bowls etc. Not changing any of the settings. It san okay for a bit but not completely happy. Then running it in anger it was getting worse & worse. A lot of blow by with unspent fuel and exhaust/soot. Not proper power because of it. I get 4 knots maybe but it should be doing 6. Very recently I but in a new fuel filter, points, condenser, coil and drained the carb (again!) but still no go. Even tried some Seafoam that helped a little bit. But a little bit only.

But frankly I'm bamboozled. I thought about timing but I'm not sure that's it or? I thought about the choke too but? This winter with record rainfall to spring in a matter of days so I all mechanics are stupid busy and I can't get anyone to even look at it. 3 weeks maybe.

Any thoughts?
  #2   IP: 71.178.84.173
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Afourian MVP

orca...too much..we need to focus.
water in fuel - I had a bad o-ring on the fuel fill...water washing down the side deck got in the tank. - Let's work on trying to solve one problem at a time. I am a proponent of Seafoam, but it is not a fixer for bigger issues. Replacing fuel filter does not fix an issue with the fuel tank..it just slows it down until the filter is overwhelmed again.

My step-father, with a 2 cyl diesel in his boat, enjoyed cruising with me yesterday with the A4, he said, "this is nice and quiet...we can talk while cruising." - so don't rush to a diesel.

I recommend we break things into pieces and solve each one until it is running like a top.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 06-16-2017 at 12:19 AM.
  #3   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
I forget where I heard it, maybe here but I got a chuckle out of the question to ask when someone is considering such a repower:
Quote:
What attracted you to a diesel, the smell or the noise?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-16-2017), chapster5 (06-16-2017), Easy Rider (06-19-2017), marthur (06-20-2017), sastanley (06-20-2017), sdemore (06-16-2017)
  #4   IP: 107.77.97.110
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcaspirit View Post
....However I was getting some crappy/water in fuel (which did happened) and not running right. So I pulled the fuel system and pulled the carb to blow it out and clean all filters bowls etc. Not changing any of the settings. It san okay for a bit but not completely happy. Then running it in anger it was getting worse & worse. A lot of blow by with unspent fuel and exhaust/soot. ... I'm bamboozled. I thought about timing but I'm not sure that's it or? I thought about the choke too but? ....
I do respect a personal choice for diesel, but your A-4 doesn't sound dead yet to me.

Water and crap in fuel:
a diesel will do the same.

exhaust/soot:
a diesel will do the same. Sounds like it's just running way too rich. a properly cleaned and/or rebuilt carb can help. Not just "blown out". There's lots of tiny passages that need proper cleaning and also float setting needs checking.

Your comments say "thought" about these issues. My old skiing buddy always said" if looks could fix it, it'd be running by now"!
That is to say, you need to methodically verify each suspicious condition. LOOK in the intake and SEE if the choke is the problem.
Procedure;
  1. remove flame arrestor,
  2. pull/push choke lever at controls to full choke setting,
  3. look in intake,
  4. remark on position of choke butterfly plate.
  5. set choke to off position,
  6. remark on position of choke butterfly plate.
  7. report findings to Forum

Keep calm and dig in,
Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
The Following User Says Thank You to lat 64 For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (06-16-2017)
  #5   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Thumbs up save the ales and yer A-4

orcaspirit, if you follow the tutelage on this forum you would be a better A-4 mechanic in 3 weeks than you could hire.

Start methodically one step at a time and the A-4 will once again purr away.

I just recently went to a larger boat and I do miss the A-4 for the quiet and downwind motoring odors.

Post a few pics if you can, they really help.

Dave Neptune

Last edited by Dave Neptune; 06-16-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: an oops
  #6   IP: 70.24.14.81
Old 06-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Good to see you checking in Dave. Unbeknownst to you, I followed a lot of your excellent advise
Greg
  #7   IP: 98.125.68.222
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Afourian MVP

credit to Ray

Neil, I believe that was me, quoting Ray Magliozzi on Car Talk. He was talking to a caller with a diesel in his car, and he asked, "which do you like best, the noise or the smell?" Immediately I thought of the A4 replacement mania.
Diesels get better mileage; other than that, I see no reason to change. I would sooner buy a Moyer rebuild; after 20+ years of learning how these engines work, I don't want to become a diesel mechanic. The junkyards are full of engines that just needed to be tuned up. Like sastanley says, let's take it one issue at a time. You learn more that way.
Orca: sounds to me like you're running too rich. Try rotating the distributor clockwise a bit while running with a load, as an experiment. That will make it run leaner. See if it runs better. If you have an adjustable main jet, it could be turned out too far. It could be the idle screw is turned in too far. It could be the choke is not opening enough. When you had the carb apart, did you inspect the jets for obstructions? To me the usual culprit is junk in the fuel tank. IMO, using non-ethanol keeps the stuff in the tank from dislodging, dispersing, and going downstream to get caught in the filters and the carb. I also recommend electronic ignition, to avoid points and condenser issues.
How many rpm is "running in anger" at 4 knots? If I run mine too hard it starts being unhappy, with more blow by and soot, and little increase in speed. The vacuum gauge is a good indicator of how hard the engine is working. Fuel pressure gauge tells you if there is a fuel blockage.
Orca, you will have better luck on this forum than from a mechanic you have to wait three weeks for, who wants to sell you a diesel. Being your own mechanic gives you peace of mind, but you have to work at studying your engine. This forum is the best place for that, along with the Moyer manual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capnward For This Useful Post:
ndutton (06-16-2017), sastanley (06-20-2017)
  #8   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 06-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnward View Post
Neil, I believe that was me, quoting Ray Magliozzi on Car Talk. He was talking to a caller with a diesel in his car, and he asked, "which do you like best, the noise or the smell?" Immediately I thought of the A4 replacement mania.
Well then I owe you a thanks because it was pretty good.
  #9   IP: 70.188.74.2
Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 AM

Capnward, how does this make it run leaner?: "Try rotating the distributor clockwise a bit while running with a load, as an experiment. That will make it run leaner. See if it runs better."
Norfolk, VA
  #10   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcodiesel View Post
Capnward, how does this make it run leaner?: "Try rotating the distributor clockwise a bit while running with a load, as an experiment. That will make it run leaner. See if it runs better."
It will RETARD the timing.
To advance move against the rotation of the rotor (COUNTER-Clockwise)
and to back off (retard) the timing, move in the direction of the rotor rotation. (Clockwise)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #11   IP: 98.125.68.222
Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Afourian MVP

the effect of timing on richness

Obviously my understanding of retarding timing, and it's relationship to the richness of mixture, is lacking. I was incorrect to say that rotating the distributor clockwise to retard the timing makes a leaner mixture. In fact, as roadnsky and alcodiesel suggest, doing so richens the mixture. This counteracts adjustments made at the main jet to lean the mixture. I hope I have that right this time.
I had an episode where the engine would 'diesel' and backfire on shutdown. Somewhere on this forum I found an interpretation of this as caused by too lean a mixture. I had been turning in the adjustable main jet to make it leaner, but apparently had gone too far that way. Rather than turning out the adjustable jet and enriching the mixture, I tried rotating the distributor clockwise a bit, I think because of something I saw on this forum, and the problem went away. I then made a note to myself that retarding the timing enables a leaner mixture. Thus the confusion.
Maybe I should have just turned the main jet back out, instead. I appreciate any further enlightenment on this issue.
  #12   IP: 24.224.194.51
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Afourian MVP

Spark Plugs all working??? Just because they are getting fire doesn't mean they are sparking in the combustion chamber.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #13   IP: 172.218.27.185
Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
First of all I been through 2 A4 in my boat over a long time period and able to fix pretty much anything A4. Including a head gasket and valve job myself. But I'm trying to coax my engine long until the as my marine mechanic has found a suitable diesel that will work. However I was getting some crappy/water in fuel (which did happened) and not running right. So I pulled the fuel system and pulled the carb to blow it out and clean all filters bowls etc. Not changing any of the settings. It san okay for a bit but not completely happy. Then running it in anger it was getting worse & worse. A lot of blow by with unspent fuel and exhaust/soot. Not proper power because of it. I get 4 knots maybe but it should be doing 6. Very recently I but in a new fuel filter, points, condenser, coil and drained the carb (again!) but still no go. Even tried some Seafoam that helped a little bit. But a little bit only.

But frankly I'm bamboozled. I thought about timing but I'm not sure that's it or? I thought about the choke too but? This winter with record rainfall to spring in a matter of days so I all mechanics are stupid busy and I can't get anyone to even look at it. 3 weeks maybe.

Any thoughts?
Thanks all. Might have solved the problem as it might have the exhaust manifold gasket was slowly pissing saltwater around shorting the electrical system. I got my mechanically inclined buddy believes that's the problem. It's a problem anyway so we are redoing the gasket, dry everything and use some Salt-Away etc. Hopefully it was a slow on going for awhile that's why I couldn't figure it out. Until it quite chronic. Didn't help we got caught in 45 knots going home two weeks ago. My friend thinks this will be it but we'll see once it's done.

Thanks again for your input.
  #14   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Afourian MVP

Hopefully good news and a solution.
Also... hopefully you're off the "Diesel Re-power" ledge?

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #15   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Might have solved the problem as it might have the exhaust manifold gasket was slowly pissing saltwater around shorting the electrical system
Hold on just a minute. The manifold gasket does not seal water passages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Administrator (06-20-2017), Dave Neptune (06-20-2017)
  #16   IP: 98.171.168.92
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
. However I was getting some crappy/water in fuel (which did happened) and not running right. So I pulled the fuel system and pulled the carb to blow it out and clean all filters bowls etc. Not changing any of the settings. It san okay for a bit but not completely happy.
Any thoughts?
Did you clean out the fuel tank also? Unless the engine is fed a diet of pristine clean fuel it will never run right if it starts at all.
+1 on what Neil said; Don't understand how changing the manifold gasket will solve a water leak. A picture would be helpful.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (06-20-2017)
  #17   IP: 98.209.31.214
Old 06-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
I just recently went to a larger boat and I do miss the A-4 for the quiet and downwind motoring odors.
My exact situation. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the smell of diesel and there is plenty to satisfy me so I am not complaining. But keep in mind, the new to me Yanmar already has a name: Thumper! Thumper runs!

If it is any help, Thumper stopped thumping on the delivery trip this May because of bad fuel (diesel bug and water). So that is a problem you can't avoid by going to the dark side.

Last edited by marthur; 06-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.
  #18   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
MIke, which Yanmar do you have and in what?

Dave Neptune
  #19   IP: 71.178.84.173
Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Hold on just a minute. The manifold gasket does not seal water passages.
Is it possible he is mistakenly thinking of the flange gasket (which also should not be pissing water, but it might in certain circumstances like a blocked exhaust.)

Anyway, let's see what happens next. As Dave Neptune noted, pictures, or a short YouTube video REALLY help a lot.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #20   IP: 96.50.124.233
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Afourian MVP

"A lot of blow by with unspent fuel and exhaust/soot"

I also think he might be referring to the manifold /exhaust gasket.

71 Ranger 29